The Student Room Group

At a cross roads with the decision regarding my career...

Well I'll provide some background information to the story.

I am currently halfway through a three-year Law LLB degree, having achieved a mid-2:1. My A-Level results were A*CC and I study at a mid-table University in London.

My mother owns her own estate agency and would like me, to one day take it over, however I am currently working there part-time. She usually takes home about £100k a year. Whilst my father is a sole-trader in the marine insurance industry. His job is of a dying breed (marine insurance adjuster, from which he's told me) and the company pays out between £80k-£100k a year as well. He's also informed me, that if I ever wanted to go and work in that industry, that he knows a few people who would be interested in having a law student abroad (i.e. Belgium, France & Germany).

I want to go with a career in Law, however I wanted to get into Sports law. I have worked with one of the largest boxing promoters and sport agent's of the last 20 years, but have no legal experience. However, I realise that this is such a niche' market, and the likelihood of obtaining a TC in such an area is likely to prove difficult.
I intend to volunteer at my local CAB and witness support programme in the summer. I am also intending to send off for some vacation schemes later this month.

Now I am at a crossroads. I realise that the LPC is going to cost me between £7k-£14k and the likelihood of me obtaining a TC is slim. However, I am more than happy to become a paralegal and work my way up.
Now that I realise I could own my own company, it seems more ideal to follow down the route of my father (rather than my mother, as I don't particularly want to get into the estate agency business).
I've never really been that type of person that liked things given on a plate. I prefer to earn my own way, rather than have it given to me.
But having a decent, relatively-high paying career, without any debt has certainly caught my eye.

Thus, what would be your recommendation? What would you do in my situation?

I realise that my legal career prospects are not great due to my academia, however I am not here to be reminded of that. Furthermore, please do not attempt to flame me. It's a genuine question that requires a genuine answer.

Ps. awaiting for the negs!
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi Debdener, welcome to Legal Careers :smile:

First of all, realistically, your A-Level results will filter you out automatically from a large number of City law firms. But then again, would you even want to apply to them given your interest in sports law? But there's no reason to give on becoming a solicitor altogether - there are plenty of other training contracts out there, be them national or regional, that don't have an automatic A-Level filter.

Secondly, I think you could do with a really good think about what exactly you want to do. You don't seem that clear - you're also considering the insurance industry. I'd reccommend attending as many industry (legal and insurance) graduate recruitment events as possible so that you can fully understand the industries that interest you. These could be law fairs, open days, drinks evenings or even making the most of the contacts you have.

Third, I would strongly discourage anybody from self-funding the LPC, unless you are (i) in a strong enough financial position to take the risk that it may have been for nothing or (ii) are confident enough that you will get a TC to justify the risk. Note that even some of the biggest global law firms (again, I am unclear as to whether you would want to apply to these given your interest in sports law and the A-Level issue, but I'll say it anyway) do not provide retrospective funding for the LPC.
I've surfed other legal forums, and according to a lot of the postings on there it seems to have become more and more common for candidates to spend at least one or two years post-graduation paralegalling and then either applying within the firm for a TC or to other firms, and then completing the LPC having been sponsored by the firm.

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by suffocation1992
Hi Debdener, welcome to Legal Careers :smile:

First of all, realistically, your A-Level results will filter you out automatically from a large number of City law firms. But then again, would you even want to apply to them given your interest in sports law? But there's no reason to give on becoming a solicitor altogether - there are plenty of other training contracts out there, be them national or regional, that don't have an automatic A-Level filter.

Secondly, I think you could do with a really good think about what exactly you want to do. You don't seem that clear - you're also considering the insurance industry. I'd reccommend attending as many industry (legal and insurance) graduate recruitment events as possible so that you can fully understand the industries that interest you. These could be law fairs, open days, drinks evenings or even making the most of the contacts you have.

Third, I would strongly discourage anybody from self-funding the LPC, unless you are (i) in a strong enough financial position to take the risk that it may have been for nothing or (ii) are confident enough that you will get a TC to justify the risk. Note that even some of the biggest global law firms (again, I am unclear as to whether you would want to apply to these given your interest in sports law and the A-Level issue, but I'll say it anyway) do not provide retrospective funding for the LPC.
I've surfed other legal forums, and according to a lot of the postings on there it seems to have become more and more common for candidates to spend at least one or two years post-graduation paralegalling and then either applying within the firm for a TC or to other firms, and then completing the LPC having been sponsored by the firm.

I hope this helps :smile:

That was fantastic, thank-you. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Debdener

I am currently halfway through a three-year Law LLB degree, having achieved a mid-2:1. My A-Level results were A*CC and I study at a mid-table University in London.

My mother owns her own estate agency and would like me, to one day take it over, however I am currently working there part-time. She usually takes home about £100k a year. Whilst my father is a sole-trader in the marine insurance industry. His job is of a dying breed (marine insurance adjuster, from which he's told me) and the company pays out between £80k-£100k a year as well. He's also informed me, that if I ever wanted to go and work in that industry, that he knows a few people who would be interested in having a law student abroad (i.e. Belgium, France & Germany).

I want to go with a career in Law, however I wanted to get into Sports law. I have worked with one of the largest boxing promoters and sport agent's of the last 20 years, but have no legal experience. However, I realise that this is such a niche' market, and the likelihood of obtaining a TC in such an area is likely to prove difficult.
I intend to volunteer at my local CAB and witness support programme in the summer. I am also intending to send off for some vacation schemes later this month.

Now I am at a crossroads. I realise that the LPC is going to cost me between £7k-£14k and the likelihood of me obtaining a TC is slim. However, I am more than happy to become a paralegal and work my way up.
Now that I realise I could own my own company, it seems more ideal to follow down the route of my father (rather than my mother, as I don't particularly want to get into the estate agency business).
I've never really been that type of person that liked things given on a plate. I prefer to earn my own way, rather than have it given to me.
But having a decent, relatively-high paying career, without any debt has certainly caught my eye.

I realise that my legal career prospects are not great due to my academia, however I am not here to be reminded of that. Furthermore, please do not attempt to flame me. It's a genuine question that requires a genuine answer.

Just on the Law bit, given the narrow field you're interested in it's possible that you could pick up work experience at boutiques (Couchmans, Onside, McCormicks etc.) without your A Levels restricting you with automatic filters for vac schemes and still have just as good an opportunity to see top level work as at one of the firms where Sports is just a strong dept. like 2 Birds.

Try and use LinkedIn, ring etc. to get work experience in this maybe, before committing to the career partly because it's the only one of the 2 you're able to get lots of WE in. Your experience with the agents, and working the contacts you made there, could be absolutely invaluable.
Reply 4
I struggle to see the relevance of stating how much your parents earn! :smile: I think it would be unwise to try and run your own company without industry specific experience. You seem to be well connected so this will help you a great deal what ever path you choose to go down. Don't feel under pressure to make any big choices now, keep your options open and continue to network. ( Also my advice is worth very little as i'm not really qualified to comment)

These two statements are somewhat inconsistent.

Take a firm like Clintons, well known in media and sport and with a decent residential conveyancing practice.

The are probably 92 firms of solicitors representing 92 league football clubs.
Reply 6
Original post by roh
Just on the Law bit, given the narrow field you're interested in it's possible that you could pick up work experience at boutiques (Couchmans, Onside, McCormicks etc.) without your A Levels restricting you with automatic filters for vac schemes and still have just as good an opportunity to see top level work as at one of the firms where Sports is just a strong dept. like 2 Birds.

Try and use LinkedIn, ring etc. to get work experience in this maybe, before committing to the career partly because it's the only one of the 2 you're able to get lots of WE in. Your experience with the agents, and working the contacts you made there, could be absolutely invaluable.

Fair points. I didn't realise those boutiques did not use filter systems.
Do you know if they offer vac schemes over the summer?
Reply 7
Fair points. I didn't realise those boutiques did not use filter systems.
Do you know if they offer vac schemes over the summer?

With them you can guarantee a human being will look at it, so though your A Levels will weigh against you they will at least see your other experience, degree etc. and can take a decision based on the whole.

Some won't offer official vac schemes but may well take people for work experience less formally if you contact them. McCormicks and Brabners both do VS which don't mention any particular A Level cut off.
Reply 8
Original post by roh
With them you can guarantee a human being will look at it, so though your A Levels will weigh against you they will at least see your other experience, degree etc. and can take a decision based on the whole.

Some won't offer official vac schemes but may well take people for work experience less formally if you contact them. McCormicks and Brabners both do VS which don't mention any particular A Level cut off.

Fantastic, thank-you ever so much for your help! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by roh

Regarding McCormicks, do you know if they do any vacation schemes?
Additionally, I've been going through the 'Student Chambers Guide 2012', is there any other literature, that you would recommend?
Reply 10
Does anyone know any information on Farrer & Co's sport department?
Are they picky on A-levels/type of University you go to?

As it seems that this is a firm, I'd be really interested in. :smile:
Reply 11
Regarding McCormicks, do you know if they do any vacation schemes?
Additionally, I've been going through the 'Student Chambers Guide 2012', is there any other literature, that you would recommend?

McCormicks do a VS yes. http://www.mccormicks-solicitors.co.uk/recruitment/vacation-placements.html

Personally I think Chambers is the best student guide, but Lex 100 does feature a few firms not in there as well. Also, the Training Contrant and Pupillage handbook has every TC, not just larger ones.

This is Chambers' list of leading sport practices: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/UK/Editorial/253807

Does anyone know any information on Farrer & Co's sport department?
Are they picky on A-levels/type of University you go to?

As it seems that this is a firm, I'd be really interested in. :smile:

Take a look at their trainees on LinkedIn and the firm website. Also, Chambers student's 'Bonus' features online is useful
Reply 12
Original post by roh
McCormicks do a VS yes. http://www.mccormicks-solicitors.co.uk/recruitment/vacation-placements.html

Personally I think Chambers is the best student guide, but Lex 100 does feature a few firms not in there as well. Also, the Training Contrant and Pupillage handbook has every TC, not just larger ones.

This is Chambers' list of leading sport practices: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/UK/Editorial/253807

Take a look at their trainees on LinkedIn and the firm website. Also, Chambers student's 'Bonus' features online is useful

Many thanks, I'll certainly rep you when I get some more in.
Do you have any experience with these firms, by any chance?
I've also looked at Onside Law & Couchman LLP, but have been unable to find any mention of VC's?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Many thanks, I'll certainly rep you when I get some more in.
Do you have any experience with these firms, by any chance?
I've also looked at Onside Law & Couchman LLP, but have been unable to find any mention of VC's?

No, sorry, I was looking into Sports quite closely at one point but decided against it, hence knowing all the firms. I might have applied to McCormicks thinking about it, but it was very slapdash if I did!

Guess they're too small, best just ringing I think.
Reply 14
Original post by roh
No, sorry, I was looking into Sports quite closely at one point but decided against it, hence knowing all the firms. I might have applied to McCormicks thinking about it, but it was very slapdash if I did!

Guess they're too small, best just ringing I think.

Well your experience is very much appreciated, believe you me.
So how comes the sudden change then? And did you pursue another area of law? Or just a complete career-change? :smile:
Reply 15
Well your experience is very much appreciated, believe you me.
So how comes the sudden change then? And did you pursue another area of law? Or just a complete career-change? :smile:

Decided that though I really love sports generally I wasn't particularly keen on the areas of Law they tend to involve. No, I decided on a different area of Law, didn't give up on it altogether!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending