The Student Room Group

Driving test tips?

Scroll to see replies

Just try be as confident as you can, i was so very very nervous, but they do slip away slightly the further you get into it.
I had a very chatty examiner, who made me feel like i was just sat next to another instructor, although some people prefer that (being chatted to along the way) obviously not all examiners will be chatty, but it's not exactly a bad thing because you then can concentrate more on everything else. and Don't forget your mirrors when slowing down/speeding up etc etc

Try telling yourself it's just another driving lesson, i really convinced myself that it was just a lesson which made me feel slightly better
Not sure about anybody else but my test went really quickly, couldn't believe it when we were nearly back at the test center
Your examiner will have taught you well, stick to what you have learnt, you can do it, and will do it (: Good luck too
Reply 21
Original post by Sazzle4
It's also worth keeping in mind that as horrible as it feels if you do fail, it isn't the end of the world. You just take it again. Nothing worse than that happens.
Also, when I was worried about mine it really helped my nerves when my instructor said 'I wouldn't be telling you to take this if I wasn't confident you'll pass. It's not worth my reputation putting people in for tests they aren't ready for.' Your instructor can't promise you'll pass because no one can (things can happen to anyone however prepared they are!) but if they have told you to book a test it is because they are confident in the standard of your driving and know you are capable of passing it.

That is very true. After yesterday's drive he said I am definitely ready for the test now all I have to do is be confident in myself. You know the one hour drive (or how long) the instructor takes you before the test? What did you do? He wants me to just do my maneuvers and that's all. Maybe an emergency stop too.
Reply 22
Original post by NatashaLee
Just try be as confident as you can, i was so very very nervous, but they do slip away slightly the further you get into it.
I had a very chatty examiner, who made me feel like i was just sat next to another instructor, although some people prefer that (being chatted to along the way) obviously not all examiners will be chatty, but it's not exactly a bad thing because you then can concentrate more on everything else. and Don't forget your mirrors when slowing down/speeding up etc etc

Try telling yourself it's just another driving lesson, i really convinced myself that it was just a lesson which made me feel slightly better
Not sure about anybody else but my test went really quickly, couldn't believe it when we were nearly back at the test center
Your examiner will have taught you well, stick to what you have learnt, you can do it, and will do it (: Good luck too

Yeah my mock exams were 40 - 45 minutes but they felt like 10 minutes! I guess the saying time flies when you're having fun really does matter in this scenario. That's a good point, pretend it's your lesson, because my mock tests didn't seem like a test either so maybe if I can convince myself it's easy and I can do it then maybe I can achieve. My instructor said I can go for 30 minutes without making a silly minor so that hopefully is what'll happen in my test. I make a minor then perfect driving throughout. But let's hope it's no minors or majors lol. Thanks for the support
Original post by TCGTi
Yeah my mock exams were 40 - 45 minutes but they felt like 10 minutes! I guess the saying time flies when you're having fun really does matter in this scenario. That's a good point, pretend it's your lesson, because my mock tests didn't seem like a test either so maybe if I can convince myself it's easy and I can do it then maybe I can achieve. My instructor said I can go for 30 minutes without making a silly minor so that hopefully is what'll happen in my test. I make a minor then perfect driving throughout. But let's hope it's no minors or majors lol. Thanks for the support

Yeah thats all i did, i put a scenario in my head that i was going to meet another instructor for an hour, made me feel a bit better. But it is a nervous situation to be in, so i don't think theres anything that will fully take away from your nerves. But it may help (:

And yeah aim to do your best, but don't worry if you see the examiner marking something on his sheet or if you make a mistake just carry on (:
Reply 24
Original post by NatashaLee
Yeah thats all i did, i put a scenario in my head that i was going to meet another instructor for an hour, made me feel a bit better. But it is a nervous situation to be in, so i don't think theres anything that will fully take away from your nerves. But it may help (:

And yeah aim to do your best, but don't worry if you see the examiner marking something on his sheet or if you make a mistake just carry on (:

Yeah I don't think I'm going to even look at his sheet because that'll think I've failed instantly and the do a major or something!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tao_
Try and go through your test centre's route. This can be found here http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/driving-test-routes.html

Beware! The driving test routes have not been published for over a year now and I know that my local test centre have changed most of theirs so I suspect others will have as well. There are always multiple routes which are never changed on a whim, only if there is a very good reason for doing so. Therefore, some of the information on the website may well be out of date and as you need to pay for it....:mad:

p.s. I noticed that they don't even have the correct name and address of my local test centre!
Reply 26
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Beware! The driving test routes have not been published for over a year now and I know that my local test centre have changed most of theirs so I suspect others will have as well. There are always multiple routes which are never changed on a whim, only if there is a very good reason for doing so. Therefore, some of the information on the website may well be out of date and as you need to pay for it....:mad:

p.s. I noticed that they don't even have the correct name and address of my local test centre!

Ahhhh! Have you done your test ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by TCGTi
That is very true. After yesterday's drive he said I am definitely ready for the test now all I have to do is be confident in myself. You know the one hour drive (or how long) the instructor takes you before the test? What did you do? He wants me to just do my maneuvers and that's all. Maybe an emergency stop too.

Mine was over two years ago so I can't remember exactly...the test itself will always be more memorable! I normally had two hour lessons but had about 1.5 on the test morning and then a half hour break. That might not suit everyone but it gave me chance to calm my nerves.
I think we just went over the reverse round a corner, etc. and a few particular roundabouts and junctions that were 'unusual' (e.g. there's a roundabout in my area where you can go right from the left hand lane that catches people out) to make sure I was happy with those. I think we did the emergency stop too although I think that's actually the easiest one if you get asked for that. Good luck!
Reply 28
Original post by Sazzle4
Mine was over two years ago so I can't remember exactly...the test itself will always be more memorable! I normally had two hour lessons but had about 1.5 on the test morning and then a half hour break. That might not suit everyone but it gave me chance to calm my nerves.
I think we just went over the reverse round a corner, etc. and a few particular roundabouts and junctions that were 'unusual' (e.g. there's a roundabout in my area where you can go right from the left hand lane that catches people out) to make sure I was happy with those. I think we did the emergency stop too although I think that's actually the easiest one if you get asked for that. Good luck!

That sounds really good. Yeah my normal lessons are 2 hours but I think we're going to be going for an hour before the test whenever that is. Practicing maneuvers and the emergency stop. Maybe go through some other things like hill starts I might ask to go for 2 hours as I don't think one hour will be enough for me, just depends how ready I am leading up to the date. Thanks for the support. Isn't the test an emergency stop and one maneuver?
Original post by TCGTi
Ahhhh! Have you done your test ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh about 35 years ago - I'm an instructor now...
Reply 30
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Ooh about 35 years ago - I'm an instructor now...

Wow that's great. Would you help with my stopping situation please? I have been told that I am ready for my test and the only thing I need to practice is my stopping as I keep mounting the kerb or pull up way too wide for it. My instructor has told me to line the car parallel to the kerb then a slight turn to the left using the left wing mirror then straighten up. The problem I have is I don't have any reference points. Can you please help give me tips on how to perfect this? Thanks.
Just get in the car, have a drink (not alcohol!). Take a few breaths, start the car and just drive and relax. Aim is to just to chill and do the normal shiznit

💷Certified 💷
Reply 32
Original post by TCGTi
Hi, my instructor has told me to book my test but I still do not feel confident after 44 hours of lessons. In 6 mock tests I have failed 3 and passed 3(last 3) I felt confident as I knew what I was getting myself into but I'll be with a stranger in my driving test and what if nerves get to me? Any tips on the driving test itself (is it hard?) any precautions and things to watch out on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just do it. Simple as that, you will never know unless you try, and by the sound of it, right now you are more scared of the idea than anything else. You just need that one little push to do it. Maybe get a parent to do it with you and push you so you actually do book a test.

Good luck!
Reply 33
Original post by danny111
Just do it. Simple as that, you will never know unless you try, and by the sound of it, right now you are more scared of the idea than anything else. You just need that one little push to do it. Maybe get a parent to do it with you and push you so you actually do book a test.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the motivation! Really needed it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by StudentNeedingHelp
Just get in the car, have a drink (not alcohol!). Take a few breaths, start the car and just drive and relax. Aim is to just to chill and do the normal shiznit

💷Certified 💷

Thanks mate!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35

when ur test? Mines 12 of Feb and im crapping my pants im scared ill fail :redface:
Reply 36
Ive got my test on the 22nd Jan and I'm quite nervous :redface:
Reply 37
Original post by Gcayte
Ive got my test on the 22nd Jan and I'm quite nervous :redface:

wow thats fast approaching especially in exam period!!!!!!! How many hours you done?
Reply 38
Original post by a10
wow thats fast approaching especially in exam period!!!!!!! How many hours you done?

I know, seeing as I have 7 exams it might not have been the best idea...
About 40ish, I was ment to have my test in November but chickened out haha :smile:
How many hours you done? :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Gcayte
I know, seeing as I have 7 exams it might not have been the best idea...
About 40ish, I was ment to have my test in November but chickened out haha :smile:
How many hours you done? :smile:

:eek: Why??!?! You should have at least tried xD

:lol: i got 6 :cry: and my most important ones this week and the next :redface:

I've done 42 hours. But iv paid for an extra 10 before my test in feb so i can polish up skills really but its pissing me off as its quite expensive :mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending