The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Meat is Murder
What makes you place UCL higher than any other multi-faculty RG uni's?.

I knew someone would misinterpret that as my own, personal, ranking, but I'm surprised it was someone who should know that I would never create such a ranking.

I am not placing UCL higher, personally, I'm merely saying that this is the general pattern seen in the ten thousand similar threads we've had the last four years or so, where many members do put UCL higher (even if only a "small gap").

If you don't agree with UCL being considered stronger or more prestigious than other Russell Group universities please feel free to visit the "UCL or Durham" thread in the UCL subforum if you haven't done so already. It makes for some amusing, if a little worrying, reading.
Reply 41
Original post by Melthusa
This is a load of balls.

Cheers.

Durham and Bath are unheard of outside of the UK. Warwick in western Europe, I agree.

Among the public, perhaps. However, not among employers. Check global employer reviews where you will often find Durham 20th to 80th. Bath the same or not far behind. How exactly is this "balls"? Check out the reviews and you will see this is the case?

I did not say that Durham or Bath are particularly well known among the public or are "world brands".

In other news, the OP did not say prestige mattered, the OP only asked for your opinion on their ranking. So many people here have not read the thread correctly.

And perhaps you should read my post correctly.
Original post by River85
I knew someone would misinterpret that as my own, personal, ranking, but I'm surprised it was someone who should know that I would never create such a ranking.

I am not placing UCL higher, personally, I'm merely saying that this is the general pattern seen in the ten thousand similar threads we've had the last four years or so, where many members do put UCL higher (even if only a "small gap").

If you don't agree with UCL being considered stronger or more prestigious than other Russell Group universities please feel free to visit the "UCL or Durham" thread in the UCL subforum if you haven't done so already. It makes for some amusing, if a little worrying, reading.

I posted because I was surprised you placed them so highly in terms of prestige.
Reply 43
I posted because I was surprised you placed them so highly in terms of prestige.

Well, again, it is not my ranking, only my observations of previous threads.
Reply 44
What makes you place UCL higher than any other multi-faculty RG uni's?

Prestige is misplaced because some uni's are leading in certain departments, such as Southampton in Engineering.

Exactly. At the end of the day, quality teaching and experience will always be overshadowed by public relations, history and general 'branding'. Soton, L'boro, Nottingham who have departments that are ranked by the gov as best in the country are misrepresented by the public by the advertising or brand a uni develops or one it has developed (ie Oxbridge/UCL-fair enough). Exeter was not even in the 40s in tables until about 2005 but has bumped it's way to stupid positions.
This has been done a billion times already, if you want to continue the so-called informed debates, search for relevant threads and put your opinion on there. It's about time duplicate threads like this were cleaned up because it's getting too much.
Reply 46
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
This has been done a billion times already, if you want to continue the so-called informed debates, search for relevant threads and put your opinion on there. It's about time duplicate threads like this were cleaned up because it's getting too much.

I'm sorry but for members of the board the whole point is to discuss on a forum. I do agree, but get in touch with the mods or whoever. It's only going to make it worse me bumping a 2 month old thread with this one still going.
Original post by fnm
I'm sorry but for members of the board the whole point is to discuss on a forum. I do agree, but get in touch with the mods or whoever. It's only going to make it worse me bumping a 2 month old thread with this one still going.

I just think threads of this nature should be merged into one big bumper thread (if this hasn't been done already) so we don't see the same things cropping up over and over. People should be able to talk about it, but most of the time it just ends up in arguments going round in circles.
Reply 48
I just think threads of this nature should be merged into one big bumper thread (if this hasn't been done already) so we don't see the same things cropping up over and over. People should be able to talk about it, but most of the time it just ends up in arguments going round in circles.

I agree, a 'DIY league tables thread' should be made.
Reply 49
Original post by fnm

Would never work, people don't use the search function.
Original post by fnm

It'll give graduate employers something to laugh at :wink:
Reply 51
It'll give graduate employers something to laugh at :wink:

They probably post here already to give false advice to students.
A degree from the University of Oxford will give you a better chance of a job than the University of Ulster. So in theory, prestige is everything
Reply 53
Original post by polaritymolecule
A degree from the University of Oxford will give you a better chance of a job than the University of Ulster. So in theory, prestige is everything

University in most scenario is all about the signal anyway. And yes, Oxford is a better signal than Ulster.
Original post by danny111
University in most scenario is all about the signal anyway. And yes, Oxford is a better signal than Ulster.

What do you mean by 'signal'?
Reply 55
Original post by polaritymolecule
What do you mean by 'signal'?

Google Spence's signalling model. But in short going to a good uni tells employers that this applicant is good. It's a way for employers to costlessly see quality.
Reply 56
Original post by danny111
Would never work, people don't use the search function.

Could be stickied?
Reply 57
Original post by fnm
Could be stickied?

Yes, forgot about that. Would probably cut down a few posts but not all. Good suggestion though, maybe we should lobby the mods for it.
This is really quite a daft debate. Prestige is an abstract concept that exists in the heads of 17 and 18 year olds who can tell their friends "My university placed 3rd for student satisfaction, and my department's research was ranked 8th in the whole country. What accolades does yours have?" to give themselves a warm buzz of superiority.

It's common sense that a degree from Oxford will entail greater academic rigour than East London, but the existence of rankings themselves is quite redundant.

There is so little separating top 3-25, 26-50 and 50+ that ranking them demonstrates nothing. It would be a hell of a lot easier to rank universities as such:

Amazing - Kudos, you're very clever.
Good - Fair play, you're in a strong working environment and you're pursuing something you enjoy
Sub-average - Wouldn't that apprenticeship have made more sense?
Reply 59
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
This is really quite a daft debate. Prestige is an abstract concept that exists in the heads of 17 and 18 year olds who can tell their friends "My university placed 3rd for student satisfaction, and my department's research was ranked 8th in the whole country. What accolades does yours have?" to give themselves a warm buzz of superiority.

It's common sense that a degree from Oxford will entail greater academic rigour than East London, but the existence of rankings themselves is quite redundant.

There is so little separating top 3-25, 26-50 and 50+ that ranking them demonstrates nothing. It would be a hell of a lot easier to rank universities as such:

Amazing - Kudos, you're very clever.
Good - Fair play, you're in a strong working environment and you're pursuing something you enjoy
Sub-average - Wouldn't that apprenticeship have made more sense?

You wouldn't believe who else makes use of rankings (economists acatually publish papers on rankings of economic departments).

Latest

Trending

Trending