The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cecil_bear
Are you my competition...? :cool:

you are both my competition!
Reply 2521
Just saw a good description of the pool on the 2012 pool thread - academic purgatory!

..yes I'm reading through last years thread.
Reply 2522
Definitely won't be sleeping tonight...

So two things:

Firstly, does anyone know why Cambridge don't just wait until next week to send out all the letters - then they wouldn't need to put us through these horrible few days, and in the acceptance letters they could just say accepted, accepted at another college, invited for re-interview, or rejected. I think they should do that.

Secondly, I just watched Simon Amstell's "Numb" on BBC IPlayer - the first time I've smiled since greeting the postman on Friday morning... http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pkh7r/Numb_Simon_Amstell_Live_at_the_BBC/

Good luck people :smile:
I think I may just hide in a corner of school all day tomorrow. I can't bear to answer 100 questions of "did you get in?!" :frown:
Original post by chocoholic_x
I just wanted to say I got an email a few hours ago telling me I got a direct offer from Magdalene college for PBS!!!!

YEAHHH!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

And thanks @grammar12 for posting on TSR that you had also, it's what made me check my emails. :smile:

Perfect, well done! :smile: Ha, I would love to meet you there, after visiting Cambridge I think it is actually now my favourite college.
Minerva, according to the reports in the 1st post, the majority of pool offers have been made; if we follow the optimistic 1/3 offers per poolie, then seeing that 40 offers have been made to approx. 200 TSR poolies, doesn't that surely mean that there are around 20 left?
I got home from the theatre about an hour ago and have spent all this time catching up on this thread...I feel like such a loser. What has Cambridge done to me!? :s-smilie: (Also, still without an offer...sad times)
Reply 2527
Original post by nicolettuce
I got home from the theatre about an hour ago and have spent all this time catching up on this thread...I feel like such a loser. What has Cambridge done to me!? :s-smilie: (Also, still without an offer...sad times)

Trust me, most people, including myself has stalked this thread for overly unhealthy periods of time :tongue:. No emails or phone calls either, but at least school starts tomorrow and I won't have the opportunity to keep on checking my emails throughout the day!

You are aware, of course, that that is the Daily Mail.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2529
Original post by pkll93
Definitely won't be sleeping tonight...

So two things:

Firstly, does anyone know why Cambridge don't just wait until next week to send out all the letters - then they wouldn't need to put us through these horrible few days, and in the acceptance letters they could just say accepted, accepted at another college, invited for re-interview, or rejected. I think they should do that.

I'm guessing they have their reasons.

Here's some logic I can see in it. Firstly, if you're pooled it's possible that you wouldn't want to accept an offer from another college (for example, if you got an offer from a single sex college). So they want to make pool offers on an organic basis. i.e. they are making an offer, and you say yes/no, and if you say no then they can fish someone else. Doing all that by letter would be too slow.

However, the main reason I can see is that for the majority of people the letter was a straight accept/reject. Only a minority end up in the pool, and many of those will have been fished or invited for interview by Monday (though not all, don't panic). Given the proximity of exams and return to studies, they are prioritising giving a definite answer to the majority, despite intensifying the discomfort for a few thousand in the pool.

The final reason is that if you wanted a prestigious college and the first letter you got said that you'd got into a college that would have been bottom of your list, you'd feel disappointed - you might even turn the place down in haste. By the time you've marinated in the pool for a couple of days you'll be grateful for the fishing!
Reply 2530
Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
I'd agree with you, it's just I've seen a few people saying they/ they know people who received their offers 3-5 days after the pool closed last year. Also, the amounts of TSR pool offers made so far this year is considerably lower that last year, suggesting there's more to come?

Just wishful thinking I guess...
OK, I've done a bit of comparison between this year and last. In fact, we have more poolees posting in this and related threads than we had at the same stage last year, with proportionately more offers but fewer invitations to interview being reported. Clearly, still more to come of both!

I am working tomorrow, with an early start, so may not get the daily summary posted up before I go.

Being back to your normal routine tomorrow will help to reduce the stress levels a bit - come up with a standard answer to the inevitable questions and stick to it, and then try to focus on the real priorities - ie the things you can do something about. You can't change anything at the Cambridge end (unless you are preparing for an interview) so stick with what you can directly influence - ie, revision, coursework, etc

Congratulations to everyone who has had good news today, and sympathetic noises to all those in suspense. We can but hope that by the end of the week, if not much sooner, a good many of you will know one way or the other where you stand.
Any engineers heard yet?
Original post by Minerva
OK, I've done a bit of comparison between this year and last. In fact, we have more poolees posting in this and related threads than we had at the same stage last year, with proportionately more offers but fewer invitations to interview being reported. Clearly, still more to come of both!

I am working tomorrow, with an early start, so may not get the daily summary posted up before I go.

Being back to your normal routine tomorrow will help to reduce the stress levels a bit - come up with a standard answer to the inevitable questions and stick to it, and then try to focus on the real priorities - ie the things you can do something about. You can't change anything at the Cambridge end (unless you are preparing for an interview) so stick with what you can directly influence - ie, revision, coursework, etc

Congratulations to everyone who has had good news today, and sympathetic noises to all those in suspense. We can but hope that by the end of the week, if not much sooner, a good many of you will know one way or the other where you stand.

Thank you, your help is so awesome, and has helped me and everyone else on this forum no end. Mad props.

Problem is my school has a training day tomorrow, so I'm sitting at home waiting/revising again....
Original post by Achilleasrn
Minerva, according to the reports in the 1st post, the majority of pool offers have been made; if we follow the optimistic 1/3 offers per poolie, then seeing that 40 offers have been made to approx. 200 TSR poolies, doesn't that surely mean that there are around 20 left?

I know I'm not Minerva, but i'll attempt to answer anyway :tongue:
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions - the numbers on TSR are by no means representative. Many people only announce they've been pooled after they find out they've got an offer from another college... if they hadn't we would probably never have known about them! Don't stress too long over the numbers anyway; what will happen, will happen :smile:
Reply 2534
Original post by Stray
I'm guessing they have their reasons.

Here's some logic I can see in it. Firstly, if you're pooled it's possible that you wouldn't want to accept an offer from another college (for example, if you got an offer from a single sex college). So they want to make pool offers on an organic basis. i.e. they are making an offer, and you say yes/no, and if you say no then they can fish someone else. Doing all that by letter would be too slow.

However, the main reason I can see is that for the majority of people the letter was a straight accept/reject. Only a minority end up in the pool, and many of those will have been fished or invited for interview by Monday (though not all, don't panic). Given the proximity of exams and return to studies, they are prioritising giving a definite answer to the majority, despite intensifying the discomfort for a few thousand in the pool.

The final reason is that if you wanted a prestigious college and the first letter you got said that you'd got into a college that would have been bottom of your list, you'd feel disappointed - you might even turn the place down in haste. By the time you've marinated in the pool for a couple of days you'll be grateful for the fishing!

Interesting... I certainly take your point about prioritising the majority - although I don't see why the whole thing can't be wrapped up before Christmas, like it is at Oxford.

I don't agree with your point about giving people the option to say "no" - as far as I understand it a "pool offer" is just like any other UCAS offer, in that you are under no obligation to make any decision for a number of months.

Finally, yes we all have a favourite college (Downing is the most beautiful place in the world!) but I think most applicants would be grateful for a place, regardless at which college, even if that were the first response they received. Again, that's how it works at Oxford, and nobody complains.

Sorry for being grumpy fellow poolees - I'm just fed up with the waiting. All my new year's resolutions are on hold until either fishing or rejection: I must have eaten more chocolate today than during the whole Christmas week...and that's quite a feat! I plan to watch movies all night, sleep all morning and wake up tomorrow afternoon with a beautiful missed call... Please?
Reply 2535
Hey everyone, thought I'd introduce myself....
I'm an international applicant and mature (very much so... 21 years old!)
I applied last year, got pooled by trinity, interviewed by St. Edmund's (in which I froze when the interviewed described my answer as very Jewish, and was an utter wreck from then on) and rejected.
There is nothing more I want than to go to Cambridge, and I have dedicated the last year to improving every aspect of my grades, activities, interest in the subject and skills in order to reapply ready.

I reapplied to Caius. I flew across the mediterranean again for the sole purpose of being interviewed. I really thought I did well.

Then the letter arrives, and it's the same. They say that I am a strong candidate, that I certainly deserve a place and that in spite of all that, i'm being passed on to the pool 'at this stage' (is it any indication that they might take me back??)

I've been quite devastated since. I feel like I lost a year of my life and wasted my time trying to please a disgruntled, cold parent whom I never will be able to. Who I love so much but wouldn't love me back.

So now I am waiting for that parent to show compassion.. i guess..

I just felt like I needed to contribute of my own experiences because going through this forum obsessively has really given me something to hold on to, a window to the fact that things still keep rolling and are not at a hault as I may feel. Thank You All for that. Truly.

This cruel 'pool' (feels more like a room whose walls keep sliding at your direction with no way out other than being pulled up) only makes me realize how badly I want it, which isn't helping at all....

cheers anyway :colondollar:
Reply 2536
Original post by Achilleasrn
Not sure where you've got the 40 from? Anyway, there will definitely be more offers to come - and cecil_bear's point that quite a few people have posted only when they've got something positive to report means that the TSR direct offer rate tends to be higher than the overall Cambridge one.

Original post by cecil_bear
I know I'm not Minerva, but i'll attempt to answer anyway :tongue:
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions - the numbers on TSR are by no means representative. Many people only announce they've been pooled after they find out they've got an offer from another college... if they hadn't we would probably never have known about them! Don't stress too long over the numbers anyway; what will happen, will happen :smile:
Not bad :tongue:

Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
Thank you, your help is so awesome, and has helped me and everyone else on this forum no end. Mad props.

Problem is my school has a training day tomorrow, so I'm sitting at home waiting/revising again....
Never mind :smile: Go out and have a walk and clear the head - that'll help the stress levels a bit.
Reply 2537
Original post by daph

There is nothing more I want than to go to Cambridge, and I have dedicated the last year to improving every aspect of my grades, activities, interest in the subject and skills in order to reapply ready.

I reapplied to Caius. I flew across the mediterranean again for the sole purpose of being interviewed. I really thought I did well.

Then the letter arrives, and it's the same.

I've been quite devastated since. I feel like I lost a year of my life and wasted my time trying to please a disgruntled, cold parent whom I never will be able to. Who I love so much but wouldn't love me back.

So now I am waiting for that parent to show compassion.. i guess..

This cruel 'pool' (feels more like a room whose walls keep sliding at your direction with no way out other than being pulled up) only makes me realize how badly I want it, which isn't helping at all....

cheers anyway :colondollar:

AGREE AGREE AGREE...

Applied last year to King's, pooled not fished. This year for philosophy at Downing. Still just about have my head above the water... Just about.

I can't keep taking gap years, can I? But studying at Cambridge, whilst I know there are other good unis, just seems like such a prerequisite for achieving academic potential... Surely there's no substitute for one-on-one supervision, or the exceptional, challenging calibre of the other Cambridge students...

Somebody tell me I'm wrong!
Reply 2538
Original post by anniema
I got an offer from sidney sussex, by the phone, at about 7pm :smile: over the moon! Good luck for swimming in the pool, it was only when i'd given up hope and turned my mind to something else that the news came. :smile: x

ahhhhhh congratulations!!!! what phone did they call you on may i ask? sidney sussex is such a nice college also! whats your offer?
Reply 2539
Is this a dream that never comes true?
Is it horrible because we are so close but can never touch it?
I think I'm drowning.
Just second day but feel like all the places have already been filled up.

Latest

Trending

Trending