The Student Room Group

Two questions about personal statement

1. Can university check/ask for proof if I had an internship if I wrote so. I am not going to lie. The problem is I had a month long internship in a small bank, where my father works, and as the main point of this was experience not the line in a CV, it was unofficially. I can ask my father to make everything officially (if it's still possible), so should I? Or universities won't check or ask for a proof? Internship was in Lithuania.

2. I am reapplying to uni, and my main choice is X university. Is it a good idea to write in a personal statement in conclusion for example that "I want to study in X university...." rather than "I want to study in your university"? In a word, is it a good idea to mention particular uni in PS and will it increase my chances? Of course if I am applying only in the X uni.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Don't know about the first one but if you're applying to more than one university, don't mention 'X' otherwise you won't get offers for the others! Just say 'your' university
Reply 2
Original post by ann13
Don't know about the first one but if you're applying to more than one university, don't mention 'X' otherwise you won't get offers for the others! Just say 'your' university

This is obvious, I asked if I am applying only to one uni))
Reply 3
Universities rarely, if ever ask for proof of work experience, and usually only at interview in a very off the cuff manner. I'm sure you could probably get your father or a colleague to just drop them an email with contact details if they do but I've never heard of universities doing that.
With regards to mentioning an institution in your personal statement, if you're only applying to the one university I could see why you would want to do it but I honestly don't see the point. It won't boost your application significantly and in rare cases, might be detrimental - a harsh admissions tutor might think it reckless applying to only one university (all your eggs in one basket, etc) and if you are applying to more than one, then that will just blacklist you to the others.
So, I really wouldn't worry. Mentioning an institution in your PS is very unlikely to swing the opinion of an admissions tutor. Even if they see you really want to study at X uni, the rest of your application will still play the largest role.
Best of luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
The only time I've ever seen proof needed was for certain NHS/health (ie quite competitive) courses.

If you're only applying for one university infor see how mentioning that university specifically could hurt.
Reply 5
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
The only time I've ever seen proof needed was for certain NHS/health (ie quite competitive) courses.

If you're only applying for one university infor see how mentioning that university specifically could hurt.

Sorry, I didn't understand second sentence.
Original post by bertos
Sorry, I didn't understand second sentence.

Apologies, my iPod had a silly autocorrect moment.

If you're only applying to one university, I don't see how mentioning the university by name could hurt your application. It may prove very beneficial.
Reply 7
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Apologies, my iPod had a silly autocorrect moment.

If you're only applying to one university, I don't see how mentioning the university by name could hurt your application. It may prove very beneficial.

Thank you. More opinion?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending