The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by johnttam
oops forgot to quote this in previous post:

Comparing these numbers with the 650+ admitted to natsci and i start to feel less special, XD

although its not a competition ofc, all of us here are amazing :biggrin:

Hell yeah :tongue: and as long as you're a PhysNatsci you can always transfer to ChemEng, join the dark side, they have free Dominos pizza!

Original post by bananarama2
I suppose It's quite nice to have the close-knit environment though?

Plus isn't there meant to be a new building soon?

Yeah - I've already been to a ChemEng social event, as above, plenty of free pizza and alcohol. Pretty much met all my coursemates for next year :wink:

The new building will be done for either the beginning or end of your third year - I can't remember which. Pretty much useless for me though :tongue:
Reply 621
Original post by Nina B

Thought I might as well answer this now too! Newnham does have gowns, as most but not all college do. You have to wear them for formal dinners and matriculation (which is when you join the college by signing an enormous book!). Newnham formals are only once a week but most people don't go very often at all.

Eeek! I didn't realise I'd be signing an enormous book! Is it easy to self-cater?

This is another odd question - but does it matter that there isn't a chapel? I know this seems ridiculous as everywhere else where I'm applying I wouldn't be wondering about whether I had a balcony or not or whether there even was a pretty garden to look out over...

I was just talking to my mother this afternoon about how much loungewear and how many cosy pjs i'd pack!

I'm a history applicant - how have they got on? I've noticed there aren't terribly many (as far as Cambridge goes) in comparison to students - do you sometimes have supervisions with someone from another college? What's the library like? Is it really a 10-15 minute walk into the centre, and how useful is it to have a bike? (I've got v. poor balance and a penchant for vertiginous silly shoes but would be willing to make a compromise for more sleep/speed/greater mobility!)

Are most of your good friends from Newnham or are they from all over the university? Three of my best friends also have offers - Trinity for maths, Downing for English and and Robinson for HSPS (or whatever the initials are!) Did you or other people you know keep in touch with people they came with? I know it is silly to be thinking about this now - nearly a whole year will go by before I might be there!

Sorry about the endless questions! I'm so glad to have been fished, a couple of my very good friends are in the pool and desperately frantic and I'm so glad that's over!
Reply 622
Original post by Nina B
Don't worry about asking lots of question! I was just the same.

Firstly, I applied directly to Newnham although was quite worried about it being girls only, as I've always been in mixed education. However, I'm now quite glad as (in my opinion) the only real difference it seems to make is that people are more relaxed about walking round college in their pyjamas, which makes college seem more homely, and the kitchens are cleaner (presumably... although maybe not judging from the state of mine!). I don't think it makes much difference whether you've come from a mixed or girls only school as you get use to wherever you are so quickly and you can spend as much, or as little time in college as you like.

Many people are part of uni societies, which is good for meeting people outside your college and course, although all colleges have their own sports societies. Newnham also has a music society which included a small selective choir, an anyone who wants to turn up choir and some sort of small chamber orchestra. There is also an orchestra which rehearses the week before the Christmas concert in order to perform then. I'm part of the normal choir, which is really good and very low commitment, and played in the orchestra for Christmas - if you're grade 8 then you'll definitely be fine to play in it (I'm not and struggled slightly, although it was still good fun!). There are many, many uni music societies and groups though, so I'm sure you'll be able to find a more relaxed one.

A lot of people at Newnham are pooled, although everyone I've asked has said they're glad to have been pooled as they much prefer it to their original college! This, combined with being all girls, I think sometimes make people more keen to prove that Newnham is just as good as any other college (if not better!) although our college bar really isn't the hub of college life as it is elsewhere.

Finally, college accommodation is generally very good but does vary a lot. It's all shared bathrooms, so many people have sinks in their rooms, and most rooms are a decent size with a view of the garden if your lucky! I've done particularly well as I've got a massive room with a view of the garden (and whatever others may try to tell you, living in Peile is not like being in exile!!) College is essentially one long corridor, as it's many building linked together, so you can go anywhere without having to put shoes on!

I hope this has answered all your question - let me know if not! I'm sorry it's so long!!

Thank you!!!! just out of interest, why did you choose to apply to Newnham directly?
Reply 623
Original post by Bulbasaur
Same. For formals xD But apparently most people don't go to many. It'd be awesome to do it a few times though :tongue:

Well it's hardly as if you're going to have formals if you go to warwick!
Original post by theminimg
*le sigh* don't hate the rich, envy them. I'm sure we'd all join them in a heartbeat if we could.

Original post by mattmattmatt
In which part does he mention hating the rich?

mattx3 is has a point - I didn't intend any hatred towards anyone - I was merely recalling stereotypes which I had heard :smile:
Reply 625
Original post by mattmattmatt
In which part does he mention hating the rich?

I thought that was all part of the st. john snobbery!
Reply 626
Original post by DavidH20
mattx3 is has a point - I didn't intend any hatred towards anyone - I was merely recalling stereotypes which I had heard :smile:

Ah! Ok! Wrong end of the stick!!!! *manages to get an offer from Cambridge but can't read properly on the student room*
Original post by Hol123
Hey! I'm feeling exactly the same, I'm also for PBS at Homerton. I don't know the grades I need either yet as my college rung me up Friday morning (before the letter arrived) and said the letter they sent was to say i was going to be put in the pool....but they are now going to make me an offer so ignore the other letter!

Let's hope its no higher than the standard offer...it shouldn't be as its not maths based right... :s-smilie:
Ah! Ok! Wrong end of the stick!!!! *manages to get an offer from Cambridge but can't read properly on the student room*

No worries, all is forgiven :lol:
Reply 629
Original post by Confabulation
Let's hope its no higher than the standard offer...it shouldn't be as its not maths based right... :s-smilie:

Have you got a pool offer? :smile:
Reply 630
If anyone is feeling mega keen and has an offer for catz, join the 2013-2014 freshers fb page (st Catharine's college, cambridge 2013-2014 furture freshers) http://www.facebook.com/groups/154554041359718/?notif_t=group_name_change#!/groups/154554041359718/
Original post by wibletg
Have you got a pool offer? :smile:

Yes, from Selwyn :smile:
Reply 632
Original post by Confabulation
Yes, from Selwyn :smile:

Congrats :biggrin:
Reply 633
Original post by johnttam
nahh robert clack :smile:

Full of smart asses there :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Rory_M
Medicine at John's, already got my grades :smile: good luck and well done to all of you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medicine at johns is well! :biggrin:
Pm me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ukdragon37
It's difficult yes but I wouldn't say it's more difficult than the other choices.

I have friends on the course right now who say otherwise. I guess it depends on the person...
Original post by ben-smith
I have friends on the course right now who say otherwise. I guess it depends on the person...

Has that person studied his other choices before at school? A lot of the difficulty comes from CompSci being alien as very few schools actually teach the real deal.
Original post by ukdragon37
Has that person studied his other choices before at school? A lot of the difficulty comes from CompSci being alien as very few schools actually teach the real deal.

the people I'm thinking of do maths B, Chem, Phys and compsci. They did double maths physics and chem at A level.
According to them, compsci is far and away the hardest most time consuming of the four.
Reply 638
Wow! I've been a little worried on the music front at Newnham - doesn't look like there's a lot on at college level. What do you play?

It's in the name :wink: observance central :tongue:
Original post by ben-smith
the people I'm thinking of do maths B, Chem, Phys and compsci. They did double maths physics and chem at A level.
According to them, compsci is far and away the hardest most time consuming of the four.

I must agree that a friend of mine who took CompSci found it the most time consuming and difficult, and in fact ended up changing.

Also, you get good news? :ninja:

Latest

Trending

Trending