The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oromis263
I must agree that a friend of mine who took CompSci found it the most time consuming and difficult, and in fact ended up changing.

Also, you get good news? :ninja:

I suppose, I got an offer: S1.
Original post by ben-smith

Not surprised of course, but well done. I hope you rip STEP to shreds :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 642
Original post by theminimg
That really is no explanation...

I couldn't find the original question, but if it's about John's, I might be able to help answer it!
the people I'm thinking of do maths B, Chem, Phys and compsci. They did double maths physics and chem at A level.
According to them, compsci is far and away the hardest most time consuming of the four.

Original post by Oromis263
I must agree that a friend of mine who took CompSci found it the most time consuming and difficult, and in fact ended up changing.

Also, you get good news? :ninja:

Put it this way, Maths is like a basis in a vector space, and Phys and Chem can be expressed in terms of Maths. But first year CompSci is another basis that is orthogonal to Maths, because it actually has some engineery "justify", "explain" and "design" crap especially in the Systems part. Hence that's why it might seem time consuming but I still defend my position that objectively it is not more difficult :tongue:

And for what it's worth, I found Physics the most time-consuming in my first year. :wink:
Reply 644
Original post by Viceroy
I couldn't find the original question, but if it's about John's, I might be able to help answer it!

The question was why would we rather go to Oxford? :wink:
Well it's hardly as if you're going to have formals if you go to warwick!

:dontknow: I meant Cambridge students lol.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 646
Original post by bananarama2
I'm Chem Eng via natsci.

Me too :smile: what college?
Original post by olliswe
Me too :smile: what college?

Emma. Yourself?
Reply 648
Anyone got an offer for Engineering at Jesus? :smile:
Reply 649
Original post by Danehill897
I applied to Robinson and was asked for A*A*A. I don't know if it's a college thing or just me being one of the worst applicants to get a place.

I've just received my conditions. They are A*A*A too with A*'s in Maths and Further Maths. So far, any engineering applicant I've encouter holds an offer with more than a single A*.
Reply 650
Original post by Oboe1994
It's in the name :wink: observance central :tongue:

Oh dear. Ok. I'm seriously doubting whether I'm worthy of this offer!!! Do you play anything else? I'm flute/piano/singing.
Reply 651
Original post by Viceroy

Was just wondering why people said it had a peculiar reputation!
Reply 652
Oh dear. Ok. I'm seriously doubting whether I'm worthy of this offer!!! Do you play anything else? I'm flute/piano/singing.

I used to be able to play piano (did grade 8 like 2 years ago) but I've since, um, let it slip :tongue: I also sing and I'm about to start organ (a bit too excited for this.) But I'm kind of s*** at everything that's not an oboe :tongue: oh also i did grade 6 violin dressed as Julian from the famous five, complete with flat cap, (it was comic relief.) So basically I should stick to oboe :tongue:
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Not surprised of course, but well done. I hope you rip STEP to shreds :wink:

Cheers! Maybe I'll manage not to **** things up this time :tongue:
Good luck to you with STEP too!
Reply 654
Original post by bananarama2
Emma. Yourself?

Churchill. Hope to see you in October then if everything goes as planned :wink:
Reply 655
Original post by vb789
Yeah I guess you're right :smile: Both my letters have already been scanned into our home computer and emailed off to various relatives and friends of the family - it was all I could do to stop them ending up laminated! :biggrin:
Still not fully sunk in yet though, I think I'd pretty much convinced myself that I was never going to actually get in. How about you, still feeling a bit dazed? :tongue:

:biggrin: I think if my mum reads it again the print will wear out :wink: yes I was pretty stunned as I thought the second interview didnt seem to go to well as I said some really silly stuff but I guess it was down to nerves :tongue: I've started having a look at the different modules we can do, they all look so good ! Have you got any idea what you want to do ?
Reply 656
When might offers start coming on Track?

Congrats. :smile: I bet you'll be beasting STEP this time!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Powerfrau
Hi! Did I see you at interview? I was there on the 2nd-3rd. The girl for Linguistics. Yay Magdalene! :cool:

Ooh, I might have seen you, I was there on the 2nd-3rd as well!
Original post by und
When might offers start coming on Track?

Congrats. :smile: I bet you'll be beasting STEP this time!

:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 659
Was just wondering why people said it had a peculiar reputation!

Ah, well, every college has a reputation of one kind or another, but the thing to remember is that, even though you DO pick your college as an undergraduate and even as a graduate, there's always a chance you will not get it, so the body of students at any given college isn't really as homogenous or self-selected as people think. This is important because it shows that, even though some people will say that everyone at, say, John's is snobby, some people who are in John's may not even really have chosen John's either because they were pooled there, made an open postgrad application, etc. Anyway, the thing is that John's does have a reputation for have snobby and pretentious students, but the truth is that EVERY college has snobby and pretentious students, and every college has totally normal students (the latter is the norm everywhere!).

The reputation of John's might be perpetuated by the fact that the college does have a sizable endowment and the college does look after its students in certain ways that might not be possible at other students. This, of course, does not make John's a better college than any other, and also certainly doesn't mean, unequivocally, that the students there are snobby.

All I would suggest to new students about college reputations is just to get to know people and not assume anything about anyone just because they're a member of a certain college.

Latest

Trending

Trending