The Student Room Group

Reapplication success/failure stories?

Was just wondering whether anybody else on here has reapplied to Oxford after being rejected the first time and got in/missed out again?
KingMessi
x

:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by such_a_lady

Original post by AllesWirdGut
Was just wondering whether anybody else on here has reapplied to Oxford after being rejected the first time and got in/missed out again?

Ah, yes - I did, for English Language and Literature. If you have any queries then do feel free to either ask me here or PM me. :yep:
Reply 3
yeah i did for med at cam. make sure you know what you want to do in your gap year. And the reapplication won't be easier the second time around.
Reply 4
perhaps give cambridge a shot, for a change?
Reply 5
I did. Brasenose rejected me in 2010.
To everyone saying they reapplied, did you all get in?
Reply 7
Original post by LarrikinLibertine

I don't think there are official statistics for this, and a sample from the TSR won't provide a true representation. At Cambridge, at least, you will not be placed at disadvantage when applying with A2 grades (especially if your UMS marks are high). But think very carefully, why you didn't get in the first time around and whether/how you can work on that particular aspect. Also, you probably should request interview feedback.
Reply 8
Original post by warfarin
I don't think there are official statistics for this, and a sample from the TSR won't provide a true representation. At Cambridge, at least, you will not be placed at disadvantage when applying with A2 grades (especially if your UMS marks are high). But think very carefully, why you didn't get in the first time around and whether/how you can work on that particular aspect. Also, you probably should request interview feedback.

Original post by LarrikinLibertine

Yes, a TSR sample will be particularly unrepresentative because people who reapplied and didn't get in are somewhat unlikely to stumble across this thread! My understanding is that reapplicants are more likely to get in than first-time applicants, although I would imagine that the increased success rate could be put down to increased pre-selection of who applies. (i.e. people are unlikely to take a year out and reapply unless they're more confident than most that they could get in second time round.)
Reply 9
Thankyou for all your helpful replies!
Original post by warfarin
perhaps give cambridge a shot, for a change?

Thankyou, but I have already applied to Oxford for a second time. Did you apply for Medicine the second time round? And did you refuse any offers so that you could reapply for Cambridge?

Original post by KingMessi

Ah, yes - I did, for English Language and Literature. If you have any queries then do feel free to either ask me here or PM me. :yep:

Thankyou! (: +repped. I also couldn't help but notice that you're studying at St. Edmund Hall. I considered there before choosing Pembroke but couldn't, as they don't offer German and Italian. To which college did you originally apply and for what? :biggrin:

Original post by Bax-man
I did. Brasenose rejected me in 2010.

What do you feel you did differently (and successfully) this time? (:

Original post by BJack
Yes, a TSR sample will be particularly unrepresentative because people who reapplied and didn't get in are somewhat unlikely to stumble across this thread! My understanding is that reapplicants are more likely to get in than first-time applicants, although I would imagine that the increased success rate could be put down to increased pre-selection of who applies. (i.e. people are unlikely to take a year out and reapply unless they're more confident than most that they could get in second time round.)

Sound reasoning. I suppose I'll just have to wait now.
Reply 10
Thankyou for all your helpful replies!

Thankyou, but I have already applied to Oxford for a second time. Did you apply for Medicine the second time round? And did you refuse any offers so that you could reapply for Cambridge?

Fair enough, Oxford is really nice too! I don't know when they'll tell you the outcome (it would be around now for cam), but keep us informed!!
No, not in the UK (I am an EU student and applied to Cam only). And yes I applied both times for medicine.

I know a few people who applied to the other uni to the one they applied to originally and got in. I.e. 2010 got rejected from Cambridge, 2011 got into Oxford.

Thankyou! (: +repped. I also couldn't help but notice that you're studying at St. Edmund Hall. I considered there before choosing Pembroke but couldn't, as they don't offer German and Italian. To which college did you originally apply and for what? :biggrin:

I thought you said in the other thread you're German Sole?

Shame, you would have been interviewed at SEH by my tutors because we share :h:

A friend of mine went for Span+Italian at Magd last year, got in, missed his offer, reapplied but to the same college and didn't even get an interview.
Reply 13
I thought you said in the other thread you're German Sole?

Shame, you would have been interviewed at SEH by my tutors because we share :h:

A friend of mine went for Span+Italian at Magd last year, got in, missed his offer, reapplied but to the same college and didn't even get an interview.

You are attentive xD I applied to German and Italian, but then changed to German sole. The interviewer asked me whether I still wanted an Italian interview and said that I could change my mind :/ I refused, but it pretty much confirmed my fears that changing course looks a bit bad! =(
What a shame that he missed his offer- it must be really tough to get an offer and then not get in. Did he miss his offer by a lot?
You are attentive xD I applied to German and Italian, but then changed to German sole. The interviewer asked me whether I still wanted an Italian interview and said that I could change my mind :/ I refused, but it pretty much confirmed my fears that changing course looks a bit bad! =(
What a shame that he missed his offer- it must be really tough to get an offer and then not get in. Did he miss his offer by a lot?

At what point did you change your mind? Oh I see, what a change!

3 marks in Crit Thinking, which they were nice enough to include in his offer. I feel so bad for him, but if he had just chosen another college...
Reply 15
At what point did you change your mind? Oh I see, what a change!

3 marks in Crit Thinking, which they were nice enough to include in his offer. I feel so bad for him, but if he had just chosen another college...

I changed my mind AFTER the entrance exam, which looked a bit bad. My Language Aptitude Test didn't go really badly, but my German one went better, and I was thinking of changing my mind before I did it. Wish I had, now. xD
3 marks? That's so unlucky. :/ Did he reapply for the sole purpose of Oxford? And I remember reading somewhere that they prefer it, if you reapply, to apply to a different college. Bit harsh not even giving him an interview, though...

Thanks.

The first time I applied for the same subject at Exeter. I was then pooled to Keble.

The second time around I did an open application, and was allocated to Teddy Hall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending