The Student Room Group

What are the traits of the British upper middle class?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Did anyone see the Taste Show with Grayson Perry? Fascinating stuff. The Middle Classes looked like show-off ***** but the Upper Class came across quite well. Basically a bit potty and obsessed with their grandparents.

I'm about as middle class as you get, but in many ways I'm more upper class in my traits, eg I hate buying new stuff when I have old stuff that my grandparents left me that does the job perfectly well.
Reply 21
Original post by py0alb
Did anyone see the Taste Show with Grayson Perry? Fascinating stuff. The Middle Classes looked like show-off ***** but the Upper Class came across quite well. Basically a bit potty and obsessed with their grandparents.

I'm about as middle class as you get, but in many ways I'm more upper class in my traits, eg I hate buying new stuff when I have old stuff that my grandparents left me that does the job perfectly well.

I'm pretty sure we're upper-middles, so I like to think we have more taste than the ordinary middles. Isn't taste and refinement supposedly one of the things that make you upper?
Reply 22
Original post by zara55
I'm pretty sure we're upper-middles, so I like to think we have more taste than the ordinary middles. Isn't taste and refinement supposedly one of the things that make you upper?

What one defines as "taste and refinement" is a very much matter of taste. A lot of people think having a BMW is refined. I think it screams "I'm a rich chav".
Reply 23
Original post by py0alb
What one defines as "taste and refinement" is a very much matter of taste. A lot of people think having a BMW is refined. I think it screams "I'm a rich chav".

Exactly. That shows you are upper-middle. :smile:
Reply 24
well some writers divide it into a commercial middle class and an intellectual middle class. needless to say the commercial middle class has been thoroughly rubbing the intellectual middle class's nose in it since 1979. Thatcher and Foot are pretty much exemplars of these type.

commercial middle class - send their kids to the most expensive school they can afford without thinking about it

intellectual middle class - quite often send their kids to comprehensives, but worry about doing so and are ready to pull them out again.
Reply 25
Original post by the bear
ah yes Geoffrey & Amelia bring up their children on the established canon of

Beatrix Potter

E. Blyton

A. Ransome

A. Buckeridge

( Geoffrey thrilled to John Buchan and Biggles )

Add in R. Compton and thats my entire childhood right there.

Of course, I still have all the books safely stored away for my own children to read. What better way to prepare them for the realities of life in 2025 than by reading stories written over 100 years ago?
Reply 26
Original post by py0alb
Add in R. Compton and thats my entire childhood right there.

Of course, I still have all the books safely stored away for my own children to read. What better way to prepare them for the realities of life in 2025 than by reading stories written over 100 years ago?

ahh yes Richmal, the wife of the well known cricketer
Most Engelsist historians (myself included) would argue that all 'traits' or activities of the Middle Upper class micro culture are focused around becoming Upper Class.

These can include but are not limited to:

- Social events to achieve higher standing
- Leisure activities that display wealth
- Accents that subtly mimic the Upper Class accent
- Styles that are imitations of Upper Class ones.

Hope that's helpful to your discourse! :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Most Engelsist historians (myself included) would argue that all 'traits' or activities of the Middle Upper class micro culture are focused around becoming Upper Class.

One should also remember that the upper-class specifically engage in activities, adopt mannerisms and strike poses designed to distance themselves from the upper-middles and ensure that the UMCs cannot reach their lofty status.
Reply 29

Possibly true up until about 20 years ago, when the middle classes all started aping working class sensibilities by talking like cockneys and/or mancs and going to football matches.

Being middle class nowadays is actually quite culturally liberating. You get to pick the bits of upper class and working class culture that you like and no-one bats an eyelid either way.

I think working class and upper class alternate between being in fashion depending upon which group it is that the middle class are all pretending to be - I wonder if this correlates at all with Labour/Tory election victories? An interesting thought. In the mid 90s everyone wanted to be Liam Gallagher and suddenly became obsessed with the premier league, and Labour won a landslide.

10 years later, and everyone is denigrating the working class as chavs and people are starting to wear blazers: being posh is seen as a good thing. A Tory election victory.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by py0alb
Possibly true up until about 20 years ago, when the middle classes all started aping working class sensibilities by talking like cockneys and/or mancs and going to football matches.

Being middle class nowadays is actually quite culturally liberating. You get to pick the bits of upper class and working class culture that you like and no-one bats an eyelid either way.

I think working class and upper class alternate between being in fashion depending upon which group it is that the middle class are all pretending to be - I wonder if this correlates at all with Labour/Tory election victories? An interesting thought.

Aren't there in reality lots of different groups within the middle-class? Urban upper-middles of a liberal set in Central London are very different, for example, to middle-class farmers in Gloucestershire. It's hard to generalise right across the whole class. I know what you mean about culture adoption (football being adopted by the middles is a classic example) but again it's patchy - my parents are upper-middle in an affluent part of London and very few of their neighbours would be into football. More likely opera, classical music, maybe golf, cricket, the theatre, etc.
Reply 31
Original post by UCLEmily
Aren't there in reality lots of different groups within the middle-class? Urban upper-middles of a liberal set in Central London are very different, for example, to middle-class farmers in Gloucestershire. It's hard to generalise right across the whole class. I know what you mean about culture adoption (football being adopted by the middles is a classic example) but again it's patchy - my parents are upper-middle in an affluent part of London and very few of their neighbours would be into football. More likely opera, classical music, maybe golf, cricket, the theatre, etc.

Obviously all generalisations have exceptions. But I think there is a case to be made that the country goes through cycles of alternately venerating and denigrating the upper and working classes.

The middle class is a huge and extremely diverse group, with very little in common.
Original post by py0alb

I think working class and upper class alternate between being in fashion depending upon which group it is that the middle class are all pretending to be - I wonder if this correlates at all with Labour/Tory election victories? An interesting thought. In the mid 90s everyone wanted to be Liam Gallagher and suddenly became obsessed with the premier league, and Labour won a landslide.

10 years later, and everyone is denigrating the working class as chavs and people are starting to wear blazers: being posh is seen as a good thing. A Tory election victory.

I would say that those people you've attached to the image of upper middle class people are class transitionists, who did indeed become the new vogue in the 80s when working class businessmen and sportsmen became upper class very quickly.

There was definitely a random burst in football, which rapidly progressed from a working class sport to a middle-upper class sport. The word 'Footy' for example, where did that come from?

This was because of the obscene amount of money involved in football. Suddenly people who worked in football, from working class origins, were richer than most upper class people. So of course, the middle class became interested in mimicking these people who had gone from either working class or middle class backgrounds to fantastically rich.

I liked what you said about the elections though. It's actually quite sad how many people vote Tory who actually gain nothing from their policies, but think they do because they would rather identify themselves as upper class than working class. The demonisation is definitely a constructed part of that.

Original post by zara55
One should also remember that the upper-class specifically engage in activities, adopt mannerisms and strike poses designed to distance themselves from the upper-middles and ensure that the UMCs cannot reach their lofty status.

Very true. The infamous dropping of the H springs to mind. From the time of Queen Victoria, the H has not been said in 'What' for example by members of the upper classes, but the middle classes clung to it into the early 1900s because it still had the stigma of being upper class. Find language on this so fascinating, it's like a dance.
Reply 33
I hope OP realised that this is a crucial subject for all British people, and therefore likely to stir up quite a thread. :smile:
Reply 34

Hey Girl want to touch my beard ? It's bigger than Karl's

220px-Engels.jpg
Reply 35
I would say that those people you've attached to the image of upper middle class people are class transitionists, who did indeed become the new vogue in the 80s when working class businessmen and sportsmen became upper class very quickly.

There was definitely a random burst in football, which rapidly progressed from a working class sport to a middle-upper class sport. The word 'Footy' for example, where did that come from?

This was because of the obscene amount of money involved in football. Suddenly people who worked in football, from working class origins, were richer than most upper class people. So of course, the middle class became interested in mimicking these people who had gone from either working class or middle class backgrounds to fantastically rich.

I liked what you said about the elections though. It's actually quite sad how many people vote Tory who actually gain nothing from their policies, but think they do because they would rather identify themselves as upper class than working class. The demonisation is definitely a constructed part of that.

Very true. The infamous dropping of the H springs to mind. From the time of Queen Victoria, the H has not been said in 'What' for example by members of the upper classes, but the middle classes clung to it into the early 1900s because it still had the stigma of being upper class. Find language on this so fascinating, it's like a dance.

Have you ever been in one of those arguments where a group of middle class kids all argue about how working class they are? They were very common as little as 5 years ago.

"Yes I know I went to a private school, but it was in Manchester darling so it doesn't count. And pater's pater once drove a van. I'm utterly working class".
Original post by englishrose_18
Am doing a study on class and society and I am stuck on the upper middle class. Although I'd probably think of myself as UMC, as I don't have a title so can't be upper class but I am from a more privileged background than most and have a fairly RP accent, I'm not sure what traits this sub-class has. i.e, income, choice of schooling, education level, career, hobbies, where they live, holiday destinations, accent, etc.
Please help!

- Very good income ranging from ~80k+ to millions.
- Private school
- Top 20 Uni, favourite degrees being PPE, followed by History
- Mummy or Daddy will land them a ridiculously good job at the end of said degree.
- Will do rowing, gym, polo, lacrosse, and rugby
- Speak correct English and/or speak like the Queen
- Will go skiing at some point, and holidays will be anywhere nice which the average person can not afford
- Normally very confident, out spoken, opinionated, ambitious, and have a good work ethic.

All live down south or in one or two bastions of civilisation in the North eg. Cheshire.
Original post by Jimbo1234
- Very good income ranging from ~80k+ to millions.
- Private school
- Top 20 Uni, favourite degrees being PPE, followed by History
- Mummy or Daddy will land them a ridiculously good job at the end of said degree.
- Will do rowing, gym, polo, lacrosse, and rugby
- Speak correct English and/or speak like the Queen
- Will go skiing at some point, and holidays will be anywhere nice which the average person can not afford
- Normally very confident, out spoken, opinionated, ambitious, and have a good work ethic.

All live down south or in one or two bastions of civilisation in the North eg. Cheshire.

Lol.
Wine. SO MUCH WINE!

Stereotyping, maybe, but give me a Nukie Brown any day...
''In a world where film directors are blue collar workers....''

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending