The Student Room Group

How is your A2/AS January exams revision going?

Scroll to see replies

Anyone reached the stage where you've revised to a point where you know you should... but you just don't have it in you anymore?
Reply 181
Original post by thescientist17
I have bio and physics, not sure if I'm prepared or unprepared. I know all the content for bio but still getting stuck on questions big time. I have a weekend and two days gap between them which is good, better than a days gap like last year. Physics would be okay if only I'd kept up throughout the year, I've had to put so much work in over the holidays but still not finished on the content to start practising questions. Who knows. The things is, the closer I get to exams the less I revise because I panic too much and can't focus. Next time I'm revising as I go along!

im really regretting not revise as i go alot making flash cards and stuff, im doing that from now on because most of my revision time was taken up re doing the course when i should of been doing past papers! :'(

ps are you doing as biology? i am :s-smilie:
Reply 182
same here with bio, i'm on aqa and hating the how science works and application stuff as you can't directly 'learn' it. And it's hard to 'think' about the question when you know the mark scheme is so pedantic and won't accept a wide range of possibilities. I know all the content, it's just learning how to apply it in a way that fits their petty little mark scheme. :s

this is exactly my problem :'(
Reply 183
are these the last ever january exams? im at as now so will all my a2 exams be in the summer?
Original post by jamboogy
Anyone reached the stage where you've revised to a point where you know you should... but you just don't have it in you anymore?

Exactly this. I've actually got to the point where I'm looking forward to my exams just because it means they will be over with and I'll be able to relax for a bit!
Original post by morvenrkr
are these the last ever january exams? im at as now so will all my a2 exams be in the summer?

Yes and yes
Original post by morvenrkr

I'm in Wales and I think it varies by exam board but we're carrying on with modulars
Reply 187
As much as I like having the exams split up into January and the summer, the January ones are a pain to revise for because of the Christmas time when only the real geeks are bothered to do some. I tend to try and start revising bits, write notes etc. during mid December, stop for about a week over Christmas time then start again only to find I cant be asked, then cram in the week before the exams (which has worked for me so far).

I have 3 exams in January: Core 3-maths (AQA), Statistics 1-maths (AQA) and The Newtonian world-Physics (OCR).

I find stats so easy especially as its an AS paper so I have only done a couple past papers for revision to help jog my mind, done a bit for Physics but need to do a bit more and Core 3.... I struggle with this paper. The books cant prepare you for the exam even if you have a reasonable understanding of every chapter. Its like a good half of the paper is integration and I personally struggle with finishing in time for this one. Any one else find this for Core 3?
I don't like January exams because no matter how many times I tell myself that it's a real exam and I need to work hard at the back of my mind I know there is always the oppurtunity of a re sit in June so I don't have the same level of motivation. Exams in June seem more 'real' and final as its the end of year and you'd have to wait til jan to re sit again (well under the old rules). And I cannot focus over Christmas. Exams ruin christmas!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
I don't like January exams because no matter how many times I tell myself that it's a real exam and I need to work hard at the back of my mind I know there is always the oppurtunity of a re sit in June so I don't have the same level of motivation. Exams in June seem more 'real' and final as its the end of year and you'd have to wait til jan to re sit again (well under the old rules). And I cannot focus over Christmas. Exams ruin christmas!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's why I did all my AS physics on June. I've only one more ruined Christmas now as on third year uni I have no January exams on my course!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 190
Original post by cdoyle
That's why I did all my AS physics on June. I've only one more ruined Christmas now as on third year uni I have no January exams on my course!

I am doing politics retakes this jan

I paid for it already but tbh i don't think i am ready or will achieve a good grade.
Do you think i should just leave it and retake them in june, or do the exams even though i will probs get a bad grade?
WOOOO EXAMS ARE OVER IN TWO AND A HALF WEEKS WOOOOO! ...for now.
Original post by 3mmz
I am doing politics retakes this jan

I paid for it already but tbh i don't think i am ready or will achieve a good grade.
Do you think i should just leave it and retake them in june, or do the exams even though i will probs get a bad grade?

In EXACTLY the same position. Done next to nothing. Going to try and just get my head down the next few days and take it. I keep putting it off, just hate going back through something I wish I was finished with.
Reply 193
Original post by laurendarnes
In EXACTLY the same position. Done next to nothing. Going to try and just get my head down the next few days and take it. I keep putting it off, just hate going back through something I wish I was finished with.

yep!

im okay with sociology and english, it's just politics.

not sure if i should take the exam and get a bad grade or just do not take it and do it in june.
F324 - ready
F325 - 75% ready
F215 OCR biology - 80% ready
PSYA4 psychology - Most of Research methods done, but totally screwed for the two essays
Been panic revising over winter holidays staying up ridiculous hours every night but results are finally showing I've been getting As/A*s in papers :smile: Bloody hope that it isn't a fluke and I'll do that well in the real thing. Fingers crossed.
Reply 196
I need some revision material any one feeling generous :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 197
Should i spend the last day before my biology exam revising my notes or doing past papers? (i've only done 2 past papers so i dont know if that's enough)

Reply 198
Original post by 3mmz
yep!

im okay with sociology and english, it's just politics.

not sure if i should take the exam and get a bad grade or just do not take it and do it in june.

Same!! I have a biology and history retake and i do not feel like i'm gonna get a good grade at all so i'm wondering whether i should just abandon it and do it in june.

Biology tomorrow, chemistry and psychology the day after?

Should I focus on JUST bio today or what? Aaaaah. I have done all the past papers so is there any point doing them again?

Quick Reply

Latest