The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3120
Original post by Rhiannonymous
Same.....I just want any kind of definite response now....

What did you go in for? :smile:

CompSci, which seems hopless now, since there has been about 5 fishes already and usually only about 18 people get fished :frown:
what about you?
Reply 3121
Original post by uniphysics
Yepp it's on the applicants cover sheet as well as what they thought of us :s-smilie:

that's bad information. thanks anyway :smile:
Original post by Oromis263
Seen this a couple of times:

I missed a phonecall from an unknown number/a Cambridge number, and now can't get in touch.

Do not worry! It's not a game of "whoever answers the phone first gets the offer". The offers have already been chosen, and letters sent to the respective candidates, the phone call is just used to put you out of your misery. It is possible that your original college is phoning you to inform you that your application was not successful in the pool, but don't despair.

This put my mind at ease until I read the last line.. Now I have even less hope.
Original post by Rose~
That would be okay for GCSE level, I started talking along those lines but he steered me towards talking about the financial crisis and how this affected migration into/out of the UK and consequently what effect this had on supermarkets.

Oo see I wish they asked questions like this in my interview... dunno if it's just history but it's much harder to get in these types of discussions (still love history though :smile: ) still difficult under pressure though!
Original post by bealey101
engineering, what about you?

Phys nat sci :smile:
Original post by gregzz
CompSci, which seems hopless now, since there has been about 5 fishes already and usually only about 18 people get fished :frown:
what about you?

Ah that's a shame.....still, just try to hold out!! I went in for Phys NatSci at Murray Edwards and I've seen a lot of people from other colleges getting re-interviewed there.....poo :P
Reply 3126
Original post by Atropos
Minerva could you please look at the maths section and tell me if the fact that they seem to be going from top towards the bottom is just a coincidence or some sort of paternt??? (I'm talking about the table with college we were pooled by)

anyone else feel free to answer too :biggrin:
Just a coincidence :smile:

Original post by josephtsui
I don't know if this has been answered before, but can someone tell me how do the colleges decide whether to give out a direct offer or to call for a re-interview? If I have been called for another interview, does that mean I did badly in my first interview with another college?
They call people for reinterview if there is a need to reassess them. This might be for a number of reasons, but the bottom line is that the interviewing college doesn't think it has enough information in the file to make a definite decision. Or it might be that they want to choose between a number of people with very similar profiles on paper. Being called for reinterview doesn't necessarily mean you didn't do yourself justice first time round, but it might do.

Original post by Colmans
I'm sure this is right. A final reason might be that some people get reinterviewed and if successful get a pool place but if not it might go directly to another poolee. Which is probably why some direct offers and some fish backs are made quite late.
If Cambridge waited till all this was done almost everybody (who didn't get a reinterview) would be on tenterhooks wondering if they were a direct offer, a transfer or a rejection. So pool misery would be inflicted on everybody, especially those who thought they had a bad interview & didn't get a reinterview.

And I gather Oxford offers are delayed till 11th Jan this year not December.
Trust me, it wasn't. The Pool operates to ensure a consistent standard across all colleges; the decision to make offers has absolutely nothing to do with Cambridge worrying about whether someone who applied to Emmanuel would consider an offer from Girton. As far as they are concerned the issue is whether someone deserves an offer from any college at Cambridge.

Original post by MarmiteLady
Hiya- I was pooled by Emmanuel for English Lit and still no reply...:s-smilie: Does anyone know if English is really as over-subscribed as everyone keeps telling me? Also I think someone mentioned that people who are pooled by Emma actually have on occasion better chances of being fished by others- is this true?

Congrats to everyone who has already been fished- personally I've been using this as an excuse to break my New Years resolution and finish off all the chocolate in the cupboard... :wink:
English is usually a high demand subject. It's impossible to say whether your chances of success are improved by having been pooled from Emma.

Original post by The Polymath
If you are fished by interview by one college, can you still get interviews/offers from other colleges (including your original)?

Didn't somebody say they got interviews from two different colleges in the pool?
Only if it was decided up front that two colleges will invite you to interview (which has happened to two people so far) in which case you will hear from both at the same time. If you haven't heard from a second college by now you aren't going to. You definitely won't be called back for interview by or get an offer from your preference college now that another has fished you out.
Reply 3127
Ah that's a shame.....still, just try to hold out!! I went in for Phys NatSci at Murray Edwards and I've seen a lot of people from other colleges getting re-interviewed there.....poo :P

Maybe we'll get pooled back, maybe we'll get a letter, don't know.. I should have applied for Phys NatSci, I would have got full marks in Physics if not the damned ISA :/
This is bad......3 of my exams are a week away and instead I'm getting distracted by all this waiting.... :s-smilie: (and TSR :wink: )

Is there a correlation between failing to fulfil one's offer and having been pooled? (i.e. the stress of pooling and/or being re-interviewed at a time of exams)
Reply 3129
Just been fished by Caius for Classics. Offer with no interview. I was pooled by Trinity. Got a call from the admissions tutor at 18.20. Whhoo. :biggrin:

Hang in there everyone. You all really really do have a chance.

This Thread has been amazingly reassuring.

Friend also had offer from Caius today for 4 yr Classics. (pooled by Clare)
Original post by gregzz
Maybe we'll get pooled back, maybe we'll get a letter, don't know.. I should have applied for Phys NatSci, I would have got full marks in Physics if not the damned ISA :/

ISA? What exam board are you taking? :confused:
Original post by ageshallnot
Is there a correlation between failing to fulfil one's offer and having been pooled? (i.e. the stress of pooling and/or being re-interviewed at a time of exams)

........an educated guess would be......YES! XD Certainly feels that way....have you got/how many exams do you have in Jan?
Reply 3132
any engineers been fished? :/
Original post by Matjaz
I also got pooled by Trinity for maths - no news yet.

Does anybody know how many problems people who got into Churchill solved at the interview?

I'll see if I can find out, how many did you do?
Original post by ASoda
any engineers been fished? :/

It looks like your species have been pretty quiet so far so I wouldn't give up just yet :smile:
........an educated guess would be......YES! XD Certainly feels that way....have you got/how many exams do you have in Jan?

None, I am but an observer... But the figures must be out there somewhere...
Original post by hapytrefrend
I will be turning into 21 just before October 2013 ! I am guessing it is same for you then

And are you 100% sure that we can only be fished by mature colleges !?!?!?
I never knew that !
I love the way we could talk about this as we are in a similar situation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it's nice to have found someone who's going through the same! :smile:

I can't be 100% sure about the mature pooling thing, but that's what I got from reading the pooling handbook for tutors and from looking at previous years' pooling threads; even if mature students apply to 'normal' colleges, they can only get fished by the mature ones.

Odd that there's nothing about this in my pooling letter, now that I think of it...
"Dear Silverland. It has come to our attention that your application for Biological Natural Sciences has been placed in the Winter pool for further review. As such, we are pleased to say that we would like to make you an offer, conditional on you attaining A*AA at A-level"

Said no-one ever
Reply 3138
ISA? What exam board are you taking? :confused:

AQA, it's coursework with an exam paper, but the grade boundaries are so tight that if you lose one raw mark, you lose 4 or 5 UMS :/
Are you on your gap year, I think I saw your posts before, but due to this stress I've got a memory like a gold fish
Original post by Hebbamundo
Hey guys, Downing pooled me for Economics on Friday and just emailed me today saying that they will offer me a place anyway! Really weird, but so thrilled!

Best of luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's absolutely amazing!! Congratulations man :wink: you showed them :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending