The Student Room Group

Start again at another university next year?

Hi,

So I started university in September having gone through adjustment because I changed my mind about what degree I was going to do. I was originally going to go to Bangor to do Creative Writing, and then realized that I wanted to be more employable upon graduating, despite always wanting to make a career out of writing. I got into a good university to study Psychology with a placement year that I thought suited my grades better (AAB).

And basically .... after a term i'm really not sure I want to be at this particular uni at all - I feel like I've just rushed into a decision without even seeing the uni first. I've made plenty of friends and there's nothing I particularly dislike about the course, I just really feel as though I don't want to be at this particular uni. I like my new city but still feel as though I have sold myself short because I haven't gone to a Russel Group uni (is it really important to go a really good uni?)

Basically I really don't feel like this is the place for me: it's a very small and business-y uni, and I feel like there aren't that many societies for me to join in that will help with my creativity. It also doesn't help that I don't get along with my flat, though I always seem to be round at others to be fair ...

Just wondered if anyone is going through/has been through a similar thing - is it stupid to drop out just because you don't like the uni you are at? I just chose a random one on results day and feel like I could choose somewhere I really want to be this time ... OR should I just stick it out for 4 years, not get myself into any more debt, because I don't HATE my experience, just feel like I could be doing a degree that I would like more somewhere else, such as Psychology and Philosophy?

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:.

Sorry for the majorly long essay, not quite sure how my mind works sometimes :colondollar:.
Reply 1
hey, this is my situation too - settled for a uni i didn't really want to go to (but still nonetheless a good-ish one) during clearing last year and i hate it. i still want to do the same course but at a totally different uni.

what i'm doing is applying through ucas again to start in september 2013, first year. i don't know what that means re. student finance, i think they allow one 'false start', it just means i'll be in even greater debt (but hey what's an extra £15k on top of the £50k they're mugging us in debt anyway?!) i'd rather be happy at a uni and spend more than settle for a uni i hate and carry on paying the extortionate fees. uni is something we're meant to enjoy and if you're not enjoying it i say try and change unis if you can, and the best way to do that would probably be to do a new ucas application for september 2013, like i did. it really doesn't take long as you can use the same personal statement, all you have to change are your choices.

do you mind me asking what uni you're at now and what uni you'd ideally like to go to next year?
Reply 2
Original post by laauurraa
hey, this is my situation too - settled for a uni i didn't really want to go to (but still nonetheless a good-ish one) during clearing last year and i hate it. i still want to do the same course but at a totally different uni.

what i'm doing is applying through ucas again to start in september 2013, first year. i don't know what that means re. student finance, i think they allow one 'false start', it just means i'll be in even greater debt (but hey what's an extra £15k on top of the £50k they're mugging us in debt anyway?!) i'd rather be happy at a uni and spend more than settle for a uni i hate and carry on paying the extortionate fees. uni is something we're meant to enjoy and if you're not enjoying it i say try and change unis if you can, and the best way to do that would probably be to do a new ucas application for september 2013, like i did. it really doesn't take long as you can use the same personal statement, all you have to change are your choices.

do you mind me asking what uni you're at now and what uni you'd ideally like to go to next year?

It's nice to hear someone is in the same situation! It would be annoying to go through ucas again because my personal statement was catered to english/creative writing, and now I do Psychology and only have a week to apply for others whilst revising for current exams ... arg!

I'm currently studying Psychology at Aston with a placement year, where are you studying/what are you studying? :smile: I agree with you, it seems like an awful lot to spend something you don't love ... I'd love to study psychology and philosophy joint honours but keep thinking is it worth giving up the placement year to study philosophy? BUT I think I night as well stay if I go somewhere else to study the same thing with a placement year, when it's just Aston I don't like ....

I'd love to go to Bristol but they want AAA and I got AAB :frown: Maybe Edinburgh, but not too sure because I've never been.... or Durham? Where did you apply? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending