The Student Room Group

Can I return a shrunken item to New Look?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SHABANA
The item was fine when you got it, so why should the store have to take it back?

Yes I know it seems unreasonable, but I'm sure New Look isn't going to suffer from getting a small £15 t shirt back! I have such limited amounts of money I really can't afford to waste cash.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Octopus_Garden
How old is your brother? Unless he is an actual child, he should be reimbursing you, as it's his fault, not the store's. He's the one who didn't bother to check garment labels before putting the dryer on a high setting.

He's 20 and has a part time job in Tesco, so yes he could reimburse me, however I doubt that would actually happen considering I brought up the subject of him just shrinking it and he was unreasonable and starting telling me to shut up lolol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by anthonyfl
Yes I know it seems unreasonable, but I'm sure New Look isn't going to suffer from getting a small £15 t shirt back! I have such limited amounts of money I really can't afford to waste cash.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't about them suffering, it is a matter of principle. You bought something, didn't take of it and now it is ruined. It is not their problem.
He's 20 and has a part time job in Tesco, so yes he could reimburse me, however I doubt that would actually happen considering I brought up the subject of him just shrinking it and he was unreasonable and starting telling me to shut up lolol

Posted from TSR Mobile

20? Then I pity any woman or man he ever lives with, if he is still that inconsiderate/incompetent!

It is your duty to humankind to get your brother to pay up, in order that he learn his lesson!
Reply 24
Original post by Octopus_Garden
20? Then I pity any woman or man he ever lives with, if he is still that inconsiderate/incompetent!

It is your duty to humankind to get your brother to pay up, in order that he learn his lesson!

Can't be bothered arguing with him, it was a genuine mistake, he's just very careless - he dropped our laptop and smashed the screen, lost his wallet on a night out and lost all of his work clothes on New Year's Eve after he went to a house party straight after work. That's just some of it. My Dad favours him, though. I'm trying to keep the situation peaceful :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by SHABANA
It isn't about them suffering, it is a matter of principle. You bought something, didn't take of it and now it is ruined. It is not their problem.

How did I not take care of it? I stayed with my mother for two days and when I came back the t-shirt had been washed. How is any of that my fault? It's more to the reason that I have no way to pay for any other clothes and I'm not going to make my already financially struggling parents buy me another one like some little spoilt brat.
Reply 26
How did I not take care of it? I stayed with my mother for two days and when I came back the t-shirt had been washed. How is any of that my fault? It's more to the reason that I have no way to pay for any other clothes and I'm not going to make my already financially struggling parents buy me another one like some little spoilt brat.

How is any of that New Look's fault? Seriously, trying to take it back is cheap and dishonest. If anything, your brother should give you the money as it appears to be his fault.
Reply 27
Original post by SHABANA
How is any of that New Look's fault? Seriously, trying to take it back is cheap and dishonest. If anything, your brother should give you the money as it appears to be his fault.

What do you mean it's "cheap?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't be bothered arguing with him, it was a genuine mistake, he's just very careless - he dropped our laptop and smashed the screen, lost his wallet on a night out and lost all of his work clothes on New Year's Eve after he went to a house party straight after work. That's just some of it. My Dad favours him, though. I'm trying to keep the situation peaceful :smile:

That makes me really want him to pay up!:mad:

"Grr" on your behalf!
Original post by myusername.
As long as you have the receipt, I can't see why returning it should be a problem.

...erm because the t-shirt has been worn, washed, and tumble-dryed perhaps? And shrunken :rolleyes:

OP - just write it off. It sucks but there's no point trying to return it.
Reply 30
Try and return it if it doesn't look worn and try to find the receipt!
Reply 31
donate it to charity instead :thumbsup:
Reply 32
What do you mean it's "cheap?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

As in it is a cheap thing to do (not that the t-shirt is cheap)
Reply 33
It's so easy to spot when something has been worn/washed - without a receipt means you cannot get a refund, only an exchange or gift card. So regardless, you won't get your £15 back.
I doubt they'd even give you an exchange or gift card tbh - is it bobbled at all? does it smell like it has been washed?
Reply 34
Original post by SHABANA
As in it is a cheap thing to do (not that the t-shirt is cheap)

Exactly. I'm doing it because it's the cheap thing to do - I don't have unlimited expenses.
Reply 35
Original post by jme18
It's so easy to spot when something has been worn/washed - without a receipt means you cannot get a refund, only an exchange or gift card. So regardless, you won't get your £15 back.
I doubt they'd even give you an exchange or gift card tbh - is it bobbled at all? does it smell like it has been washed?

Doesn't smell like it's been washed, my Dad doesn't use a lot of liquid, he has this obsession that it's bad for our skin and causes my eczema, lol, and it's been on the washing line outside. Not bobbled either.
Doesn't smell like it's been washed, my Dad doesn't use a lot of liquid, he has this obsession that it's bad for our skin and causes my eczema, lol, and it's been on the washing line outside. Not bobbled either.

When you spend all day handling the new clothes its really easy to tell when something has been washed. They feel and smell different.
Reply 37
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster
When you spend all day handling the new clothes its really easy to tell when something has been washed. They feel and smell different.

Yeah, they do, my sister works in H&M. However she says she just gives the refund as if she called the manager over they would do the same for convenience.
Yeah, they do, my sister works in H&M. However she says she just gives the refund as if she called the manager over they would do the same for convenience.

Lol, I was in NL management and always said no as per company policy.

Your brother should be paying for this mistake, not the company who have done nothing wrong. He is old enough to take responsibility. I would make my brothers pay and they are younger than him.
Reply 39
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster
Lol, I was in NL management and always said no as per company policy.

Your brother should be paying for this mistake, not the company who have done nothing wrong. He is old enough to take responsibility. I would make my brothers pay and they are younger than him.

He just moans and I get told to shut up then my Dad will tell me to be quiet :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest