The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noahharley
Just got an offer from Corpus Christi by phone for History - I had been pooled by Selwyn! :smile:
[h="5"]

Also was going to ask if you've got an offer letter yet? I don't trust myself to have not simply dreamed the whole thing so want solid evidence :s
Original post by Rhiannonymous
That's just for Pembroke college??? :s-smilie:

Yup

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by belisarius
are you kidding??!! churchill was incredibly oversubbed for natsci this year

But it had twice the places available as pembroke :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3263
Original post by Sharpeyj
YES ME!! Haha I thought they must just have made a mistake with mine, but obviously not- how odd!

I had that problem too! So I emailed them asking about it and they sent it to me. I thought it was just me haha! :')
Original post by Kidioteque
One guy got pooled to Corpus Christi from Selwyn for History yesterday I believe...

A friend got pooled by Jesus and fished by Queens' on Friday for History...
Original post by Minerva

No, that was 31 invitations to interview reported by Poolees in the last cycle. The figures given are cumulative!

Sorry, I knew that just my wording was all wrong!
Original post by mick.the.fish
But it had twice the places available as pembroke :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

shhh you cant say things like that when i was pooled from there!!!
tbh if you are gonna go for undersubbed colleges should have applied to girton :P
Original post by Sarr
Just reread my pool letter from Selwyn, they say mention sending an info sheet along with the letter - but I didn't get one in my envelope..
Anyone else from Selwyn experience this? :s-smilie:

Hi there! I remember you as one of the people waiting and waiting and waiting for a Selwyn interview, just like me! Seems you got pooled too eh? And yep I didn't get an info sheet with the pool letter either, you're not alone.
tbh if you are gonna go for undersubbed colleges should have applied to girton :P

my bad!

but nevertheless it was still really competitive this year!

and yup haha

if you look at the application stat graph for Pembroke natsci over the past 5 years, we had no idea at how much it was going to spike by this year!

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/

Basically we got about a third extra of last year's applicants!
Original post by Minerva
OK :smile:

No, that was 31 invitations to interview reported by Poolees in the last cycle. The figures given are cumulative!

Would you advise calling CAO tomorrow as my daughter got called for an interview by Murray Edwards but they said another college wanted to interview her as well. As yet she has had no word from the other college and is getting worried !

Many thanks
For some reason I feel like my hopes rest on Homerton. I hope they haven't begun contacting people for law yet... :holmes:
Original post by Atropos
what does actually help is to look at last years reports and see that there is a massive difference between the 3rd day and the final report ;o hope this year will be the same

But you have to bear in mind that a considerable number of those offers were probably given to candidates that were re-interviewed.
Reply 3273
Original post by Brighter_Star
Oh no - I think I didn't express myself very clearly there :colondollar:

What I meant was: I'm a mature student, so I can only get fished by a mature college, not a 'normal' one. I visited all the mature colleges earlier this year, but never felt quite at home - and now that I'm pooled my chance of going to a 'normal' college is gone (seeing as only mature colleges can fish mature applicants) :smile:

Original post by Brighter_Star
Oh no, I hope I haven't been spreading wrong information! That's how I understood things worked; I was told by a tutor in Wolfson that applications from pooled mature students to standard-age colleges are passed on to the mature colleges, and that they get a lot of their students from there.

I'm pretty sure I've read it somewhere, too - I'm trying to find it again right now. I've also looked at previous pool threads, and it looked like mature students only ever got offers from mature colleges?

Again, I'm so sorry if I'm mistaken and have unintentionally confused others :frown:

EDIT: I've been looking for my 'evidence', but can't seem to find anything conclusive.

Some older pooling files say things like 'The files of mature and affiliated applicants are stored in a separate “mature and affiliated” section of the Pool and not in the main sequence.' - but you're right, that might still mean that other colleges can look at it too :dontknow:

I guess I just made assumptions based on what I heard - but then again, I might have misunderstood him so can't be 100% sure. Again, I'm sorry - and thanks for correcting me, it would be nice if I still had a chance of ending up in a 'normal' college :smile:
I think it's probably fair to say that mature applicants in the Pool are more likely to end up at the mature colleges, but that doesn't mean they can't be offered places elsewhere :smile:

Original post by wrexhamfc
Guys, guys... I've managed to start revising. :eek:
Excellent :biggrin:

Original post by soempty
Is it appropriate to contact my originall college to try to find out something about my application status? Has anyone done that?
No :smile:

Original post by Silverland
This so much. Churchill had roughly the same no. of applicants but twice as many places. Gutted
But this is precisely what the Pool is for! - to make sure that there is a consistent standard across all colleges regardless of the number of applicants. So choosing a less popular college in the first place doesn't mean you're more likely get an offer at all.
(edited 11 years ago)
if you look at the application stat graph for Pembroke natsci over the past 5 years, we had no idea at how much it was going to spike by this year!

Look at Pembroke Philosophy man... 200% rise in applications

I don't know whether to be happy or not at the spike of CompSci applicants across the unviersity. :s-smilie:
Original post by Minerva

But this is precisely what the Pool is for! - to make sure that there is a consistent standard across all colleges regardless of the number of applicants. So choosing a less popular college in the first place doesn't mean you're more likely get an offer at all.

If the pool was
1) perfect with no errors
2) not this stressful

then I too would proclaim the intrinsic beauty of the pool. Unfortunately all I see now are a few of us flailing and looking for others who are drowning to try to pull us to shore, when it's really a lifeguard DoS e-mail that we need.

Although you do make this process far more bearable. Thanks!

yeah but out of a 200 increase uni wide for natsci it increased by 50 at churchill alone!!
Reply 3278
Original post by Ann4
I had that problem too! So I emailed them asking about it and they sent it to me. I thought it was just me haha! :')

Haha oh deary me, Selwyn have been organised this year :tongue:
Reply 3279
Original post by Stressed_dad
Would you advise calling CAO tomorrow as my daughter got called for an interview by Murray Edwards but they said another college wanted to interview her as well. As yet she has had no word from the other college and is getting worried !

Many thanks
Yes, I would do that. Good luck to your daughter :smile:

Original post by jamil78613
But you have to bear in mind that a considerable number of those offers were probably given to candidates that were re-interviewed.
No - the report does distinguish between direct offers and offers after interview.

Latest

Trending

Trending