The Student Room Group

Access to Nursing course....new to site

(not sure I would count as a mature student?? but I was told I may get a better response from here)

Hi there my name is Sophie I am 20, 21 in March. I have a little boy who will be 3 in feb.

I am off to college starting 28th Jan to study access to Nursing, has anyone done this? or did anyone start this in Sept how are you finding it?

Thank you
Reply 1
Hello and welcome, mummyof1 :smile:

I started Access to Nursing in September. It has been a bit of a hard slog but I am hoping it will pay off when I get uni offers :smile:
Reply 2
I started an access to health science in September. It's quite full on but enjoyable, just keep up with the work and you will be fine :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Original post by SteelRose
Hello and welcome, mummyof1 :smile:

I started Access to Nursing in September. It has been a bit of a hard slog but I am hoping it will pay off when I get uni offers :smile:

hello, thank you for your replies, I am very excited about the course, I know it will be quite hard work especially with my little boy, but I think in the end it will be worth it.

Can I ask if you have looked into any uni's and where you are planning to study?
I have already had a little look at Kings because really that is where I want to go, I have also looked at Greenwich and Brighton. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Well I'm not wanting to go far as me and my boyfriend are pretty settled so My first choice is Sheffield Hallam, but I've also applied for Derby, Nottingham, Huddersfield and Manchester :smile:

Reply 5
I am applying to Oxford Brookes for Operating Department Practice.
Reply 6
Hey, i'm 19 and i've gotten onto an Access to Nursing course starting from September. I'm really excited to be going back to college after 2 years of full-time work :smile:
A question though....I've been told you get credits with your modules at level 2 and level 3. How exactly does this work, and how does it affect university applications?
I did Access to Healthcare professions which all but me went on to do nursing.

Good luck!!

Oh and good on you for being brave enough to go back to college with a little one. Hard work lol!! :smile: xx
Original post by SnarkBait
Hey, i'm 19 and i've gotten onto an Access to Nursing course starting from September. I'm really excited to be going back to college after 2 years of full-time work :smile:
A question though....I've been told you get credits with your modules at level 2 and level 3. How exactly does this work, and how does it affect university applications?

I am not sure if this is true for you, but on my course the level 2 modules were for people who had no gcse maths english and science at grade c (which is required for nursing I believe)

Your level 3 modules will be the main aspect of the course
Reply 9
Original post by sarah_22_16
I am not sure if this is true for you, but on my course the level 2 modules were for people who had no gcse maths english and science at grade c (which is required for nursing I believe)

Your level 3 modules will be the main aspect of the course

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by SnarkBait

Hiya, well on my course we do modules every 5-8 weeks, each module is worth 3 credits. At the end of the module we have an assignment and an exam, the grade you get goes on the percentage you pass the module with so 45% is a level 2 pass, 65% is a level 3 pass, 75% is a level 3 merit and 85% and above is a level 3 distinction.

The minimum you need to pass the course is 15 credits at level 2 and 45 at level 3, but you can do so well that you get all 60 credits at level 3 distinction or anywhere in between.

Some access courses may differ but when you start in September your tutors should explain it all to you :smile:

Hope this helps

Reply 11
Also it affects uni applications in that they will ask for a certain number of your credits at level 3 distinction, but again all uni's differ on what grades they ask for so you are best to check out their website :smile:

Reply 12
Original post by sarah_22_16
I did Access to Healthcare professions which all but me went on to do nursing.

Good luck!!

Oh and good on you for being brave enough to go back to college with a little one. Hard work lol!! :smile: xx

Thank you. Oh I cant wait for the hard work lol....I just think in the end its all going to be worth it :biggrin:.

I am so happy....only 20 days till I start!!! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Hiya I'm on the access course too, finding it a doddle at the minute.

Just expanding on what someone said about the grade criteria, I think it must differ from access course to access course because on mine:

each level 3 module is worth 3 credits. each module has a mixture of assignments, essays, exams and presentations.
For each assignment, essay exam or presentation we get a grade from pass-distinction.
So just say I did 2 essays and an assignment and got Pass, pass, merit.
They line the marks up, so in this case it would be PPM, and they chose the middle one. So overall for that module I would have got 3 credits at pass.

I don't really think it's fair doing it that way, but nothing we can do I suppose.

I need 45 merits at distinction for my degree place... grrr.

Also, if you've not already check out that your chosen universities still accept the level 2 maths that you'll do on the access course, because a lot of unis are asking for GCSE only now. x
Reply 14
Hi,
I completed the access course to health and social care professions in December and am now just about to start adult nursing in Brighton next month.
I found the access course and brilliant foundation to start uni and am so pleased I did it! It taught me so much!
Good luck with it all! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending