The Student Room Group

Anyone have any 2013 UCAS regrets?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I really regret not applying for Oxford or Cambridge, but you have to start applying as soon as you start an Access course, so I had no idea how I'd do. Now I've finished the term with 18 credits at distinction already, when the majority of the uni's I applied for only ask for 6. Kicking myself! Also annoyed I went for applied psychology over psychology at Durham, now knowing its in Stockton, which is apparently terrible. :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by myusername.
If you declined all your offers, you will be eligible to apply for another uni through Extra, then you could choose Bristol.
This however is a really big risk, so I'd think really hard before making any decisions like this. If you don't mind me asking, what other unis did you apply to?

I was considering that, but then I wouldn't want to decline all my offers only to have Bristol reject me! Does extra show you the places that are still available?

I applied to Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham, Glasgow and Nottingham :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by sammy93
I really regret not applying for Oxford or Cambridge, but you have to start applying as soon as you start an Access course, so I had no idea how I'd do. Now I've finished the term with 18 credits at distinction already, when the majority of the uni's I applied for only ask for 6. Kicking myself! Also annoyed I went for applied psychology over psychology at Durham, now knowing its in Stockton, which is apparently terrible. :frown:

That must be so frustrating! Would be so much better if everyone applied for uni AFTER results. However, I think you can ring the uni if you've got an offer and ask to be considered for a different course. Perhaps worth a try with Durham?
Reply 23
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Thank you :smile: I applied to Oxford (AAA), but got rejected pre-interview, and I have offers from King's (AAA), Queen Mary (340 points with an A in English Literature), Kent (ABB) and Westminster (BBC) I really wish I had applied to UCL, or even Exeter. I think my advice to future applicants is that if you're absolutely sure you're going to get an offer from somewhere - and you'd be ridiculously surprised if you got rejected - then you're aiming too low. Where did you apply? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Nice :smile:
At least you gave Oxford a try.
Jealous of your King's offer, wish I'd gone to see it but at the time I didn't want a London uni. Another regret now haha!

I applied to Leeds, Glasgow, Birmingham, Nottingham and Sheffield. Have offers from all 5 luckily :smile:

I definitely agree on your last piece of advice! If only someone had told me before i applied. Ah well.
Reply 24
I genuinely regret applying
Reply 25
I regret not having enough confidence in my abilities and not applying to more prestigious universities. I'm predicted A*A*A and ended up applying to a BBC university.

Didn't you apply to Oxford? I'm sure I saw you on the English page? BBC is a great offer to have as a backup - if it's only 1 of your 5 choices! :smile:
Reply 26
I regret no aiming higher with my second choice uni. I applied to Cambridge and got rejected post- interview but have offers from York, Southampton and Lancaster. All are amazing unis but I feel with A*A*AA predictions and 4As at AS I should've applied to Durham/Warwick. I got my referee to email UCAS and request I be allowed to switch a uni choice as Nottingham haven't gotten back to me yet. If you're in the same situation I guess you could give it a go and see If UCAS allow a change of uni. :smile:
Reply 27
i applied for primary teaching but at the last minute had some serious regrets about not choosing english! luckily i could retract my application just in time!
Reply 28
Regret putting down a safer Uni which I'd probably not even go to if I didn't have a choice of any other Unis instead of Birmingham...
Original post by arty
Didn't you apply to Oxford? I'm sure I saw you on the English page? BBC is a great offer to have as a backup - if it's only 1 of your 5 choices! :smile:

Yes, I applied to Oxford :smile: It is a good back up I suppose, but it means I would have to drop five grades down from my predicted over my three subjects. Now that I think about it, I would rather my place go to someone who might need it as an insurance :smile:

I think my insurance will be Queen Mary. Where did you apply?
Original post by Cazza180
Nice :smile:
At least you gave Oxford a try.
Jealous of your King's offer, wish I'd gone to see it but at the time I didn't want a London uni. Another regret now haha!

I applied to Leeds, Glasgow, Birmingham, Nottingham and Sheffield. Have offers from all 5 luckily :smile:

I definitely agree on your last piece of advice! If only someone had told me before i applied. Ah well.

You shouldn't have any regrets - those are fantastic universities, and to get all five offers is such an achievement!

Had I followed my own advice, I could have put two more risky choices down :frown:
Reply 31
Original post by Pink lipstick
I regret applying to 3 high-risk unis :frown:

Me too! Currently having 2 rejections and waiting for the result of the third one :frown:
I regret not taking my chances with Cambridge instead of Oxford: I think I'd have enjoyed the philosophy course there more. Sigh.
Reply 33
Original post by Pink lipstick
3 rejections from each one...

Original post by deistra13
Me too! Currently having 2 rejections and waiting for the result of the third one :frown:

Oh no :frown: sorry to hear that. Mind if I ask where you applied?
Dont worry I'm sure you will both get some other offers!
Reply 34
You shouldn't have any regrets - those are fantastic universities, and to get all five offers is such an achievement!

Had I followed my own advice, I could have put two more risky choices down :frown:

Thankyou, so are yours!
I know what you mean, wish I'd gone for a more risky place like Bristol.
I am happy I managed to get 5 offers though as some of my friends have quite a few rejections.

Are you going to firm Kings?
Reply 35
I regret not applying to a different college at Cambridge, as maybe I might have had a better chance of getting in.
Reply 36
Applying for a uni that I'd already visited and decided I wouldn't go to even if I got an offer. It wasn't even an insurance choice, it was an AAB one :frown:
Reply 37
Oh no :frown: sorry to hear that. Mind if I ask where you applied?
Dont worry I'm sure you will both get some other offers!

I was rejected by UCL and Cambridge. The third one I am waiting for is Sheffield (I don't know if it's competitive for other subjects, but it is for architecture)

But I have got an offer from my insurance university, so it's not too bad :biggrin:
Well, my only regret UCAS wise is applying for Chemistry, even after doubting it before applying. Now I want to study Maths (which I was battling myself about), and I'm either going to have to go through an irritating process of either:

A. Getting my universities to change my course before considering my application, leaving me applying to Maths with a Chemistry personal statement.

B. Asking if I could have my course changed AFTER receiving an offer, I'm not sure if thats even possible. And I also fear it could run the risk of having the offer I have being retracted. (Can they do that?)

or C. Waiting until I actually arrive at university, and changing course when I'm there. (Which is what I'll likely end up doing, and have actually been advised to do from members on here.)

Oh, and I suppose I regret not applying to Cambridge, but not that much due to the above :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thankyou, so are yours!
I know what you mean, wish I'd gone for a more risky place like Bristol.
I am happy I managed to get 5 offers though as some of my friends have quite a few rejections.

Are you going to firm Kings?

Yes, I think I will firm them :smile:

Congratulations on your offers again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending