The Student Room Group

Wife-beating Saudi man gets 30 lashes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GPODT
70 views & no replies? I guess if I posted a link to an article about a Saudi Muslim man beating his wife (without the legal consequences), there would have been many more replies.

Agreed^ Such is the way of the TSR muslim bashers.
Original post by GPODT
x

However, I'd like to ask you, how is chopping off someone's hand a suitable punishment for stealing?
Reply 62
Original post by Xmarksthesh0t
Also with the wife-beating again this could be justified through translational errors.
Here is a website that explains it:

Spoiler

No, it can't. Since you appealed to Ibn Kathir as tafseer in the same post, I assume you trust that he is a reliable scholar and authority on interpretation. Here's his explanation of the wife-beating instruction:

"Beat them, means, if advice and ignoring them in the bed do not produce the desired results, you are allowed to beat them a beating not severe. Muslim recorded that Jabir said that during the Farewell Hajj, the Prophet said; Fear Allah regarding women, for they are your assistants. You have the right on them that they do not allow any person whom you dislike to step on your mat. However, if they do that, you are allowed to beat them a beating not severe. They have a right on you that you provide them with their provision and clothes, in a reasonable manner."

http://archive.org/stream/ibnkathir/tkather04#page/n25/mode/1up

Contrary to your link's claims, the interpretation is not ambiguous, the word interpreted is the primary meaning of ضرب (beat) not metaphorical (he does not say "cite" or "indicate"), both Classical and Modern Arabic's primary definition of ضرب is to hit/beat (do these people even know Arabic!?), and it does not go against the ahadith since Ibn Kathir based his interpretation on one such hadith described as part of his interpretation where Muhammad instructed a non-sever beating of a wife that crosses you.
Original post by myzt1kal
No, it can't. Since you appealed to Ibn Kathir as tafseer in the same post, I assume you trust that he is a reliable scholar and authority on interpretation. Here's his explanation of the wife-beating instruction:

"Beat them, means, if advice and ignoring them in the bed do not produce the desired results, you are allowed to beat them a beating not severe. Muslim recorded that Jabir said that during the Farewell Hajj, the Prophet said; Fear Allah regarding women, for they are your assistants. You have the right on them that they do not allow any person whom you dislike to step on your mat. However, if they do that, you are allowed to beat them a beating not severe. They have a right on you that you provide them with their provision and clothes, in a reasonable manner."

http://archive.org/stream/ibnkathir/tkather04#page/n25/mode/1up

Contrary to your link's claims, the interpretation is not ambiguous, the word interpreted is the primary meaning of ضرب (beat) not metaphorical (he does not say "cite" or "indicate"), both Classical and Modern Arabic's primary definition of ضرب is to hit/beat (do these people even know Arabic!?), and it does not go against the ahadith since Ibn Kathir based his interpretation on one such hadith described as part of his interpretation where Muhammad instructed a non-sever beating of a wife that crosses you.

I said "could", maybe you could/could not but even you are allowed you must do it with the right means and not go overboard. Maybe if the wife is some kind of real bad person who does bad things will need a slap, which is not to hard, to make them understand you are serious. But again I am no scholar so I could make mistakes, so do not take my words without research.
Reply 64
I said "could", maybe you could/could not
And I showed you how it could not be a translational error.

but even you are allowed you must do it with the right means and not go overboard. Maybe if the wife is some kind of real bad person who does bad things will need a slap, which is not to hard, to make them understand you are serious.

No, violence against such non-violent provocation is never justified. It is a breach of their basic human rights and, depending on how civilised a country you live in, a breach of the law.
Reply 65
All of this depended on the circumstances of the time. Can you give me the name of the man that was 'tortured', I will ask my Imam who is much more knowledgeable than.

Kinana bin al Rabi, from the tribe of Banu Nadir. He was a POW following the battle of khyber.

Please ask the Imam why this man was tortured and not shown any mercy or forgiveness. Please ask him why exactly he was tortured as well.
Reply 66
Original post by Algorithm69
I ignored it because I did not ask you the question. I very clearly asked another user what her sources were. And then you came barging in thinking it was a "gotcha" moment, when it wasn't. I knew she was naive. I knew what her answer was going to be, and her answer was ridiculous. Nowhere did I ask for, or want, your input. Nowhere did I ever deny that sources such as what you posted existed. My point went much further: that Islam is a fragmented and pathetic religion because its texts are vague and ambiguous nonsense.

If she did reply with a source, I am sure you would have attacked her source for being weak etc, but since I provided a strong one, you have nothing left to say apart from ''Nowhere did I ask or want your input''. Coward
Reply 67
Original post by Inquirer
There is nothing in Islamic literature about using miswak. The instruction in the Quran is clear about beating your wives (or hit them) if they are not obedient. This whole idea of beating being carried out by something like a miswak is a new concept from Muslims too embarrassed to present a better case for the verse in the Quran.

Lol the very fact that you think Muslims are too ''embarrassed'' of Islam is laughable. If Muslims wanted to please the non-Muslims the Quran/Hadiths would have been rewritten a long time ago and many verses would have been omitted/edited. Of course there are some so-called Muslims that are too ''embarrassed' (idiots like Taj Hargey), but they are recognised as deviants within the Muslim community.
Reply 68
Original post by GPODT
Lol the very fact that you think Muslims are too ''embarrassed'' of Islam is laughable. If Muslims wanted to please the non-Muslims the Quran/Hadiths would have been rewritten a long time ago and many verses would have been omitted/edited. Of course there are some so-called Muslims that are too ''embarrassed' (idiots like Taj Hargey), but they are recognised as deviants within the Muslim community.

There are indeed muslims too embarrassed of hadith and quran today and if they could have, they would have changed the texts.

But it is not possible to do so now, with such a great record and collection held worldwide. What they can do is re interpret the words to give them new meanings. Something like reinterpreting "darab" to mean sexual intercourse. :rolleyes:

It wont work.
Reply 69
I especially like the ten days training on how to treat women, i think that could benefit a lot of men in these sorts of countrys.
Reply 70
I'm surprised he didn't get a pat on the back.
Reply 71
I will ask my Imam about this issue of this execution, as I have limited knowledge upon this and therefore cannot answer this.

Maybe you should start consulting more... objective sources than your local Imam (who is bound to tell you the more generous-to-Islam account of things). If you have little knowledge about an area, perhaps read material on both sides of the fence. It seems like all you've ever heard are the pro- arguments and never encountered the opposition (based on your posts in this thread).
Reply 72
Original post by GPODT
Lol the very fact that you think Muslims are too ''embarrassed'' of Islam is laughable. If Muslims wanted to please the non-Muslims the Quran/Hadiths would have been rewritten a long time ago and many verses would have been omitted/edited

You're doing it in this thread; you're making the claim that the beatng instruction has something to do with the miswak and, when questioned on it, you don't even provide a source let alone a reply.

That's called being too embarrassed to recognise or admit the clear interpretation of literally beating a woman for disobedience.
Reply 73
You're doing it in this thread; you're making the claim that the beatng instruction has something to do with the miswak and, when questioned on it, you don't even provide a source let alone a reply.

That's called being too embarrassed to recognise or admit the clear interpretation of literally beating a woman for disobedience.

Yes I did make that claim. The 'miswak' part was an interpretation by Ibn Abbas, if you are suggesting he tried to sugar-coat Islam then maybe you need to do your research on him.

Ata' said: "I asked Ibn `Abbas: 'What is the hitting that is ghayr al-mubarrih?' He replied: '[With] the siwak and the like'.
Reply 74
Original post by Inquirer
There are indeed muslims too embarrassed of hadith and quran today and if they could have, they would have changed the texts.

But it is not possible to do so now, with such a great record and collection held worldwide. What they can do is re interpret the words to give them new meanings. Something like reinterpreting "darab" to mean sexual intercourse. :rolleyes:

It wont work.

http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?HD=12&ID=612&CATE=10

''The Prophet (pbuh) also expressed astonishment at the cruelty of certain men when he said: "Could any of you beat his wife as he would beat a slave, and then lie with her in the evening?" (Bukhari and Muslim).'
Reply 75
Original post by GPODT
Yes I did make that claim. The 'miswak' part was an interpretation by Ibn Abbas, if you are suggesting he tried to sugar-coat Islam then maybe you need to do your research on him.

Ata' said: "I asked Ibn `Abbas: 'What is the hitting that is ghayr al-mubarrih?' He replied: '[With] the siwak and the like'.

This is what Ibn Abbas said in relation to the verse:

{ ٱلرِّجَالُ قَوَّٰمُونَ عَلَى ٱلنِّسَآءِ بِمَا فَضَّلَ ٱللَّهُ بَعْضَهُمْ عَلَىٰ بَعْضٍ وَبِمَآ أَنْفَقُواْ مِنْ أَمْوَٰلِهِمْ فَٱلصَّٰلِحَٰتُ قَٰنِتَٰتٌ حَٰفِظَٰتٌ لِّلْغَيْبِ بِمَا حَفِظَ ٱللَّهُ وَٱلَّٰتِي تَخَافُونَ نُشُوزَهُنَّ فَعِظُوهُنَّ وَٱهْجُرُوهُنَّ فِي ٱلْمَضَاجِعِ وَٱضْرِبُوهُنَّ فَإِنْ أَطَعْنَكُمْ فَلاَ تَبْغُواْ عَلَيْهِنَّ سَبِيلاً إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ كَانَ عَلِيّاً كَبِيراً }

"(Men are in charge of women) they are in charge of overseeing the proper conduct of women, (because Allah hath made the one of them) the men through reason and the division of booty and estates (to excel the other) the women, (and because they spend of their property (for the support of women)) through paying the dowry and spending on them, which the women are not required to do. (So good women) He says: those wives who are kind to their husbands (are the obedient) they are obedient to Allah regarding their husbands, (guarding) their own persons and the wealth of their husbands (in secret) when their husbands are not present (that which Allah hath guarded) through Allah's protection of them in that He gave them the success to do so. (As for those from whom ye fear) know (rebellion) their disobedience to you in bed, (admonish them) by means of sacred knowledge and the Qur'an (and banish them to beds apart) turn your faces away from them in bed, (and scourge them) in a mild, unexaggerated manner. (Then if they obey you) in bed, (seek not a way against them) as regards love. (Lo! Allah is ever High Exalted) above every single thing, (Great) greater than every single thing. Allah has not burdened you with that which you cannot bear, so do not burden women with that which they cannot bear of affection."

http://www.altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?tMadhNo=0&tTafsirNo=73&tSoraNo=4&tAyahNo=34&tDisplay=yes&UserProfile=0&LanguageId=2

There's no hadith nor a Qur'anic verse that instructs the use of the miswak in the beating. As Ibn Kathir used to back his point, Muhammad in the hadith specifically instructed for a husband to "beat a beating not severe" if a wife is disobedient. The only thing that Muhammad added to the Qur'anic instruction is "a beating not severe".
Original post by Kinkerz
Maybe you should start consulting more... objective sources than your local Imam (who is bound to tell you the more generous-to-Islam account of things). If you have little knowledge about an area, perhaps read material on both sides of the fence. It seems like all you've ever heard are the pro- arguments and never encountered the opposition (based on your posts in this thread).

My Imam is actually proper Imam who has a PhD in Birmingham University, not just some guy who think he knows everything. Also I in my life time of 15 years have never heard or seen any PROPER Muslims who I know being abused like SOME women are. Why? Because the MEN/HUSBANDS are Righteous and follow Islam properly, so the women follow the right ways.

Also it takes a long time to find out because I have to read a lot of unbiased books, which I authenticate and find before I can read them, as they may be written by people who have very little knowledge such as me.
Reply 77

It's interesting how you've questioned the idea that "beating instruction has something to do with the miswak" and went even further by challenging them to "provide a source". Yet when a source is provided, instead of conceding the point, you give backtalk. Typical of a person who lacks information, you end up being embarrassed like this if you don't know what you're talking about.
Reply 78
Original post by noisy06
It's interesting how you've questioned the idea that "beating instruction has something to do with the miswak" and went even further by challenging them to "provide a source". Yet when a source is provided, instead of conceding the point, you give backtalk. Typical of a person who lacks information, you end up being embarrassed like this if you don't know what you're talking about.

There was no source provided. I had to provide the source for them and it did not mention the miswak. Ibn Kathir backed his interpretation with a hadith. I'm interested in the source of the miswak claim, whether it's got scriptural backing or just an opinion.

Why are you and your fellow apologist not responding to Ibn Kathir's tafseer?
Reply 79
*Gets the popcorn*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending