Scroll to see replies

Drowning is the worst, most painful way to die in my opinion :s-smilie:
Reply 3521
Original post by clarakrz
congrats!! what course?

Thanks!! Land Economy
Reply 3522
Original post by silentlife
It does seem that colleges are rejecting people and accepting people in one shot...

I agree with the rejection bit, but not with the offers. For example, a lot of people got offers from Robinson on Saturday and Sunday, but handed no rejections. By the way, the friend who got an offer also applied to Churchill and was at Bristol on the open day, so you never know, you have a chance. I bet a lot of Churchill CompSci poolees are recommended in the pool.

EDIT: Knowing my luck, I bet I receive a rejection email in the next 24 hours cos I've jinxed it now -.-....
Original post by jqian
I agree with the rejection bit, but not with the offers. For example, a lot of people got offers from Robinson on Saturday and Sunday, but handed no rejections. By the way, the friend who got an offer also applied to Churchill and was at Bristol on the open day, so you never know, you have a chance. I bet a lot of Churchill CompSci poolees are recommended in the pool.

What college did he end up at?
Reply 3524
Original post by silentlife
What college did he end up at?

Magdalene.
Reply 3525
Drowned. Oh well, at least I gave it a shot.
Good luck guys! Well done to everyone, rejection or offer. We did our best, that's all we could do. :-)
I love how most of the people on this thread are online :P also has anyone received anything from Peterhouse?
Reply 3527
Original post by cath1509
My friend has been pooled for law for gonville and caius and not heard anything yet :/

Hello Catherine, it's Nisha :biggrin:
Aha I found you!
Reply 3528
Sorry, meant economics... she applied with maths everywhere else :smile:

ah okk i see :smile:
Reply 3529
Slowly drowning here... Trying to use this to keep myself going...
Reply 3530
Original post by piette
Slowly drowning here... Trying to use this to keep myself going...

I'm the red fish. My friend sent me the video yesterday.
Reply 3531
Anyone heard anything from Homerton?
Just got an email in my spam folder for the first time in days...got excited...it was British Tennis asking me to renew my membership.

I vow to never renew my membership for as long as I live.
Original post by TPJY
Anyone heard anything from Homerton?

No, they've been suspiciously quiet :holmes:
Reply 3534
Original post by Sarr
Anyone been rejected by Selwyn? Stiiiiiill waiting! School was horrible, started off the day explaining what pooling was, by last lesson I just snapped that I hadn't heard yet instead :tongue:

I sense deja vu... Waiting for Selwyn :tongue: However to be fair, this time it isn't just us Selwyn applicants waiting. Fully expecting rejection though :frown:
You know what I don't get about pooling? I understand the fairness of the system however stressful for us, but when a college X pools an applicant from a course, let's call her Katie. And say college Y pools another applicant for the same course, let's call him Tom. Cambridge says that "no college is better than another in the end when you get here" and that "you have an equal chance of getting into cambridge wherever you apply because of this pooling system". But if college X fishes Tom out and college Y fishes Katie out, which evidently happens a lot, it mean both Katie and Tom were Cambridge material, however their skills as such were not what the college they applied to were looking for, but the college they were pooled to.

Therefore this basically means that the colleges are looking for different things when they pick candidates, evident in their application as each college sets different tests etc. But this means that technically it does matter where you applied to in the first place as if you got pooled from one college and the colleges that like your type of application are full, then you won't get a place even if you are of Cambridge material.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they pool. I just can't help seeing this point when i think about the big swimming pool we are in.
Reply 3536
Original post by Kidioteque
No, they've been suspiciously quiet :holmes:

A mate of mine been pooled by kings and fished by homer ton yesterday for history. I am thinking so much of you guys......:wink:
Original post by Siena16
Hello Catherine, it's Nisha :biggrin:
Aha I found you!

Ahahaaaa lol then you've seen my pooling rant below :P how's the tsr stalking going? :smile:

Edit - it's now above pahahha :P
Reply 3538
You know what I don't get about pooling? I understand the fairness of the system however stressful for us, but when a college X pools an applicant from a course, let's call her Katie. And say college Y pools another applicant for the same course, let's call him Tom. Cambridge says that "no college is better than another in the end when you get here" and that "you have an equal chance of getting into cambridge wherever you apply because of this pooling system". But if college X fishes Tom out and college Y fishes Katie out, which evidently happens a lot, it mean both Katie and Tom were Cambridge material, however their skills as such were not what the college they applied to were looking for, but the college they were pooled to.

Therefore this basically means that the colleges are looking for different things when they pick candidates, evident in their application as each college sets different tests etc. But this means that technically it does matter where you applied to in the first place as if you got pooled from one college and the colleges that like your type of application are full, then you won't get a place even if you are of Cambridge material.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they pool. I just can't help seeing this point when i think about the big swimming pool we are in.

I agree, hence why people are given the choice of choosing their colleges. People may choose colleges that appear to suit them, for example, some people may not want any admission tests, just want the interview, some people want both. But, ultimately, the problem is that Cambridge can only accept X students a year, so they have to reject some very good candidates unfortunately. The pool is just a way to try to balance these things out. After all, the course you take will be the same regardless of which college you apply for.
Reply 3539
Original post by Sharpeyj
I sense deja vu... Waiting for Selwyn :tongue: However to be fair, this time it isn't just us Selwyn applicants waiting. Fully expecting rejection though :frown:

I'm waiting to hear something from Selwyn too. Is so stressful now lots of people are starting to get rejection letters!

Latest

Trending

Trending