The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3580
TH CompSci - Rejection after being pooled
Byebye
Reply 3581
Wahhh I don't know how worried I should be about the lack of law activity? Would you say most offers (except those for re-interviewees) have been given out already? :frown:
Original post by gregzz
TH CompSci - Rejection after being pooled
Byebye

Crao I hope TH doesn't send me mine...did they just email you? What time?
DSC_0030.jpg
My two pigs have been -kind of- keeping me sane, as has this thread. Man. For a group of the most intellectual people in the world, their e-mailing skills seem rather underdeveloped.
Regardless I'd still LOVE to come to the bridge :frown:
Good luck guys, hopefully we'll finally get some good news tomorrow!
Original post by mp1995
Actually got pooled by St Catz and got an email from Trinity requesting a phone interview!! Ahh wish me luck!

When was this please? :smile:
Reply 3585
Original post by laurelin_
DSC_0030.jpg
My two pigs have been -kind of- keeping me sane, as has this thread. Man. For a group of the most intellectual people in the world, their e-mailing skills seem rather underdeveloped.
Regardless I'd still LOVE to come to the bridge :frown:
Good luck guys, hopefully we'll finally get some good news tomorrow!

Damn, pretty cute. I'm very tempted to send an e-mail, I've already prepared a draft.
Reply 3586
I would like to take this opportunity to officially declare the departure of all my hopes of getting an offer. Nothing seems to have happened today and no doubt tomorrow will be the same, despite my earlier thoughts.
Time for me to say goodbye to Cambridge and hello to Durham. Now I just need to wait and be informed of my rejection.
Original post by piette
I would like to take this opportunity to officially declare the departure of all my hopes of getting an offer. Nothing seems to have happened today and no doubt tomorrow will be the same, despite my earlier thoughts.
Time for me to say goodbye to Cambridge and hello to Durham. Now I just need to wait and be informed of my rejection.

I got rejected from Durham ha, a rejection from here will be pretty disappointing.
Original post by jqian
Damn, pretty cute. I'm very tempted to send an e-mail, I've already prepared a draft.

Let me know how it goes! Rooting for you. I'm thinking of sending one too :colone:
What course/college did you apply for?
Original post by The Polymath
I do think it would be fairer if:

1) You apply to Cambridge as a whole.
2) You are interviewed by a random Cambridge college (just to spread the workload).
3) You are offered a place at Cambridge.
4) You are allocated a place at a college through a ballot system, with strength of application giving you priority in cases of over-subscription.

That way, all the colleges would have the same admissions policy, as the people they give offers to will not necessarily go to their college.

The system isn't far from that in terms of fairness. You apply to Cambridge, if you rank high & interview well enough you get into the college you prefer, if you rank lower and/or interview less well you get into somewhere else. The ranking system & pool is supposed to ensure that the choice of college does not affect your overall chances of getting in.

Tutors undoubtedly will put more effort into interviews when they are choosing students they will actually teach.

What your system would achieve is less stress for those who are going through the pool.
If you look at the Oxford system they also rank and then spread people around to even up colleges but fewer people end up at their first choice. They have interviews at two or three different colleges.
Original post by sarah_p_b
MEEE
I got pooled for chemical engineering via natural sciences
chance of me getting an offer is low :frown:

Keep hoping- someone told me Emma is a popular fishing spot:tongue:

I'm English though and feeling really low as it's such an oversubscribed subject- been comfort eating for about a week...:/
Reply 3591
Original post by chillichilli
When was this please? :smile:

About 3 hours ago! I'm really exciting, was going to apply to Trinity in the first place but never thought I would get it! Wish me luck for the interview..
Original post by Siena16
Wahhh I don't know how worried I should be about the lack of law activity? Would you say most offers (except those for re-interviewees) have been given out already? :frown:

I think most of them have :s-smilie:

I know how you feel there's barely any activity for my subject too, but they do say to the 14th so who knows! :smile:
Reply 3593
Original post by MarmiteLady

I'm English though and feeling really low as it's such an oversubscribed subject- been comfort eating for about a week...:/

I've been comfort eating a lot today too; 26 Malaysian flatbreads and 6 poached eggs :colone:
Original post by Kidioteque
No, they've been suspiciously quiet :holmes:

Two of my friends got pooled to there on saturday, for different courses
Original post by MarmiteLady

awww I hope it is!
I've applied for deferred entry though so I haven't got a chance! plus my interviews were shocking :no:
GOOD LUCK!!!
I felt my interviews went great and I'm still set to drown :frown:

It's true when they say the interviews that felt worse are the ones that went the best then I guess.
I just wished they'd have pushed me more... But saying"this is too easy" would've just been arrogant. Cam are just so clueless sometimes :sad:
Original post by The Polymath
I do think it would be fairer if:

1) You apply to Cambridge as a whole.
2) You are interviewed by a random Cambridge college (just to spread the workload).
3) You are offered a place at Cambridge.
4) You are allocated a place at a college through a ballot system, with strength of application giving you priority in cases of over-subscription.

That way, all the colleges would have the same admissions policy, as the people they give offers to will not necessarily go to their college.

Just like how the States in the US bang on about States' Rights, a proposal that would encroach on the sovereignty of the colleges in their own governance and admissions will never ever in reality get accepted. Essentially the colleges will never accept having to admit undergrads which their own fellows have not picked, and the fellows/directors of studies will never accept having to teach students they don't know the measure of.

Also I agree with Colmans - your system does make it less stressful for poolees but it could mean it's less likely for people with straight offers to get their preferences. It would mean it's highly unlikely you get to visit the college you are actually going to (if you get interviewed at random) and also the most popular colleges such as Trinity and John's will be filled with the top students while the less popular will have worse students, thus furthering college inequality and elitism.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3598
Hello people, I have some information that may put you all at ease a little bit, it helped me feel a bit better.

My maths teacher has been dealing with oxbridge applicantions for 20+years and works very closely with Cambridge to moderate STEP papers and things (she is ridiculously clever and got a full scholarship to go to cambridge and what she told me today made me feel a lot better.

I haven't been contacted so assumed I was just going to get rejected but apparently the longer you're in the pool without being rejected the better your chances!
Each college marks your application if they're interested, then the application is returned to your preference college. If you haven't been marked, you get rejected.
However, if more than one college has marked you, they will squabble over who gets you for many days and the longer the wait for you, the better your chances.
so NO NEWS IS NOT BAD NEWS
My teacher said she has known this to even take in to the first few days of Feb
She seemed pleased that I hadn't heard anything as it usually is a good sign.

I also imagine a lot of people that have recieved rejections at this point wouldn't have posted and would have just left the thread, so you won't hear about the rejections that have been handed out.

If you wait for ages and do finally get a rejection, you can take a tiny bit of comfort in the fact you must have been beaten by literally one person.

anyway, I hope this helps, it made me feel better about myself and realise I can stop stalking this page constantly.

Edit: Just for people's curiosity, I was pooled from Downing after applying for chemical engineering via NatSci, I'm post A level with 94% average in my A2 and 88% average in AS
(edited 11 years ago)
Just drowned in the pool. At least I got a semi-personalised email rather than a brutal Track change. It actually came as a relief after 4 painful days in the pool.

I'm a little disappointed, but right now I'm just so motivated to get a first at whichever uni I end up at.

Latest

Trending

Trending