The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PooPoo
Hello people, I have some information that may put you all at ease a little bit, it helped me feel a bit better.

My maths teacher has been dealing with oxbridge applicantions for 20+years and works very closely with Cambridge to moderate STEP papers and things and what she told me today made me feel a lot better.

I haven't been contacted so assumed I was just going to get rejected but apparently the longer you're in the pool without being rejected the better your chances!
Each college marks your application if they're interested, then the application is returned to your preference college. If you haven't been marked, you get rejected.
However, if more than one college has marked you, they will squabble over who gets you for many days and the longer the wait for you, the better your chances.
so NO NEWS IS NOT BAD NEWS
My teacher said she has known this to even take in to the first few days of Feb

If you wait for ages and do finally get a rejection, you can take a tiny bit of comfort in the fact you must have been beaten by literally one person.

anyway, I hope this helps, it made me feel better about myself and realise I can stop stalking this page constantly.

I feel like I could hug you right now! :biggrin:

If I get an offer now I'm just as thankful to you for rekindling a dying candle of hope! Best of luck fellow Natsci!
Original post by unbridled
Just drowned in the pool. At least I got a semi-personalised email rather than a brutal Track change. It actually came as a relief after 4 painful days in the pool.

I'm a little disappointed, but right now I'm just so motivated to get a first at whichever uni I end up at.

Well done for making it this far at least :smile: Wishing you all the best wherever you end up and at least the pain is over now! What do you want to study at uni?
Original post by PooPoo
Hello people, I have some information that may put you all at ease a little bit, it helped me feel a bit better.

My maths teacher has been dealing with oxbridge applicantions for 20+years and works very closely with Cambridge to moderate STEP papers and things and what she told me today made me feel a lot better.

I haven't been contacted so assumed I was just going to get rejected but apparently the longer you're in the pool without being rejected the better your chances!
Each college marks your application if they're interested, then the application is returned to your preference college. If you haven't been marked, you get rejected.
However, if more than one college has marked you, they will squabble over who gets you for many days and the longer the wait for you, the better your chances.

If you wait for ages and do finally get a rejection, you can take a tiny bit of comfort in the fact you must have been beaten by literally one person.

anyway, I hope this helps, it made me feel better about myself and realise I can stop stalking this page constantly.

Thanks, this helps me relax a bit; where did you apply and for which subject?
Original post by unbridled
Just drowned in the pool. At least I got a semi-personalised email rather than a brutal Track change. It actually came as a relief after 4 painful days in the pool.

I'm a little disappointed, but right now I'm just so motivated to get a first at whichever uni I end up at.

Ah man sorry to hear that! Good luck with your next highest choice, exams, and getting that first! I'm still swimming htough right now it feels like I'm getting ready to drown haha
Original post by PooPoo

thankyou! this makes me feel a bit better! But surely it can't be true for everyone still waiting ?
Original post by PooPoo

Thank you so much for sharing this with us, it definitely has changed my perspective of this whole thing :smile:

Funny how I appreciate the fact it's been day 4 with no news... :P
Original post by PooPoo

I would also like to say a huge thank you to you for posting this! I originally applied to Clare for vet med and I am still swimming :frown: but this has rekindled the tiny bit of hope I was holding on to :smile:
Reply 3607
Original post by tooambitious
For any fish despairing[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0[/video]

Very cheesy I know but when I was (seriously) flagging on my run today and it came on shuffle it helped a hell of a lot :tongue:
Good luck :h:!
Now back to the cave that is waiting for an Oxford letter :ninja:

Thanks babe :wink: it's getting lonely in this pool.
Reply 3608
Original post by Silverland
I feel like I could hug you right now! :biggrin:

If I get an offer now I'm just as thankful to you for rekindling a dying candle of hope! Best of luck fellow Natsci!

I was so down hearted I literally haven't done any work for 4 days now and have been sitting on here pressing refresh!
But her explaining the actual system and how it isn't meant to be cruel it's just they're fighting over the students made me feel so much better!
long story short if it takes over a week, the chances are more than 1 college wants you

Where did you apply and phys or bio?
I applied from chem eng via phys at downing
Reply 3609
Original post by \/ibhav
Thanks, this helps me relax a bit; where did you apply and for which subject?

I applied for Chem Eng via physical natural science at downing.
What about you?
Original post by PooPoo
I applied for Chem Eng via physical natural science at downing.
What about you?

Mathematics at Trinity.
Original post by Nish77
Any engineers heard anything yet?

Nope :frown: I've only heard of one pooled engineer who's heard

Posted from TSR Mobile

Has anyone heard of any vet med applicants being fished? I know there was one at the weekend but I was just wondering if there is still hope. I applied to Clare for vet med and am still swimming but will probably soon be drowning :frown:
Original post by Nessie133

Has anyone heard of any vet med applicants being fished? I know there was one at the weekend but I was just wondering if there is still hope. I applied to Clare for vet med and am still swimming but will probably soon be drowning :frown:

3 years ago my sister got fished for vet med 3 weeks after her pooling letter. There's still hope! She got fished by Girton
Original post by PooPoo
My maths teacher has been dealing with oxbridge applicantions for 20+years and works very closely with Cambridge to moderate STEP papers and things (she is ridiculously clever and got a full scholarship to go to cambridge and what she told me today made me feel a lot better.
She seemed pleased that I hadn't heard anything as it usually is a good sign.
I also imagine a lot of people that have recieved rejections at this point wouldn't have posted and would have just left the thread, so you won't hear about the rejections that have been handed out.

Although relaxing, it doesn't seem true.

Colleges can mark for interview or an offer. An offer can only be made if the file is either unmarked, or has an interview mark. Once an offer mark has been made, no other college can add a mark to it.

Therefore, if you have an offer, they won't be squabbling. Making offers is first come first serve for the colleges.

If you have two interviews, and both want to make offers, they will only do so post-interview, so you will already have heard from them by now to be invited to interview. In this case they either go with "a simple coin toss", or a "prompt meeting" on the Monday following interviews, as per the official guidance to tutors, which Minerva posted in the OP.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3615
Original post by \/ibhav
Mathematics at Trinity.

I also heard Trinity maths poolees do well, usually :biggrin:
Good luck!
Reply 3616
I have a friend who was pooled from Caius for History who has now been fished by another college. Thats just about all I know though since he didn't tell me which college fished him. I also don't know all his academic info but if it helps anyone i'm pretty sure his History UMS is 93% overall (one of his papers was 100% though).

Edit: I believe he found out via phonecall last night BTW
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by PooPoo

My maths teacher has been dealing with oxbridge applicantions for 20+years and works very closely with Cambridge to moderate STEP papers and things (she is ridiculously clever and got a full scholarship to go to cambridge and what she told me today made me feel a lot better.

She seemed pleased that I hadn't heard anything as it usually is a good sign.

I also imagine a lot of people that have recieved rejections at this point wouldn't have posted and would have just left the thread, so you won't hear about the rejections that have been handed out.

Edit: Just for people's curiosity, I was pooled from Downing after applying for chemical engineering via NatSci, I'm post A level with 94% average in my A2 and 88% average in AS

I love you man, if i get an offer im thanking you!! :tongue:
Reply 3618
Original post by Sufi-Kitty
Got the call for pool on Friday (I'd applied to Pembroke) then received a phone call from Newnham with an offer to study Arabic and Persian on the very next day! Good luck to all in the pool, it's absolutely agonising. Chin up!

Anyone else into Newnham?

Mee! :smile: Got pooled there from Sidney, posted on Sat. (Vet)
Reply 3619
Original post by The Polymath
Although relaxing, it doesn't seem true.

Colleges can mark for interview or an offer. An offer can only be made if the file is either unmarked, or has an interview mark. Once an offer mark has been made, no other college can add a mark to it.

Therefore, if you have an offer, they won't be squabbling. Making offers is first come first serve for the colleges.

If you have two interviews, and both want to make offers, they will only do so post-interview, so you will already have heard from them by now to be invited to interview. In this case they either go with "a simple coin toss", or a "prompt meeting" on the Monday following interviews, as per the official guidance to tutors, which Minerva posted in the OP.

You could of just left it so that everybody feels better, evil u.

Latest

Trending

Trending