The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Polymath
Although relaxing, it doesn't seem true.

Colleges can mark for interview or an offer. An offer can only be made if the file is either unmarked, or has an interview mark. Once an offer mark has been made, no other college can add a mark to it.

Therefore, if you have an offer, they won't be squabbling. Making offers is first come first serve for the colleges.

If you have two interviews, and both want to make offers, they will only do so post-interview, so you will already have heard from them by now to be invited to interview. In this case they either go with "a simple coin toss", or a "prompt meeting" on the Monday following interviews, as per the official guidance to tutors, which Minerva posted in the OP.

Thanks for making me worried again...

Original post by PooPoo
I also heard Trinity maths poolees do well, usually :biggrin:
Good luck!

Thanks, hope I follow in their footsteps and Good Luck to you to!
Hi everyone,
Phys Natsci applicant here and I still haven't heard anything. I've been checking this thread since the start and seeing the fishing has been
pretty gutting. From now on there is only two outcomes to this process, and I'm not giving up hope until I hear either way. But I'm not
totally dreading rejection - I have a fantastic offer from Durham and I would love to go there as well. In the end of the day you should go to a
university because you want to study a subject, not just because you want to go to the university.
Reply 3622

Colleges can mark for interview or an offer. An offer can only be made if the file is either unmarked, or has an interview mark. Once an offer mark has been made, no other college can add a mark to it.

Therefore, if you have an offer, they won't be squabbling. Making offers is first come first serve for the colleges.

If you have two interviews, and both want to make offers, they will only do so post-interview, so you will already have heard from them by now to be invited to interview. In this case they either go with "a simple coin toss", or a "prompt meeting" on the Monday following interviews, as per the official guidance to tutors, which Minerva posted in the OP.

I'm just going by what I've been told. My teacher seemed very optimistic about it though, and she is usually pretty blunt with people.
If you choose not to believe it go ahead, I was just sharing what gave me support.
Original post by Thunder.bolts.
seeing the fishing has been
pretty gutting.

I see what you did there....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Accidentally deleted my post :p:

For any fish despairing [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0[/video]

Very cheesy I know but when I was (seriously) flagging on my run today and it came on shuffle it helped a hell of a lot :tongue:
Good luck :h:!
Now back to the cave that is waiting for an Oxford letter :ninja:
Original post by Thunder.bolts.
Hi everyone,
Phys Natsci applicant here and I still haven't heard anything. I've been checking this thread since the start and seeing the fishing has been
pretty gutting. From now on there is only two outcomes to this process, and I'm not giving up hope until I hear either way. But I'm not
totally dreading rejection - I have a fantastic offer from Durham and I would love to go there as well. In the end of the day you should go to a
university because you want to study a subject, not just because you want to go to the university.

Ditto. Which college did you pick at Durham? I'll happily go there too if Cam don't want me

In this episode Polymath has more expertise than a Cambridge admissions moderator

Tune in next week for when he takes on the world of Brain surgery!
Reply 3626
I have to agree with ThePolymath here. What Poopoo said just doesn't quite ring true.
Reply 3627
Original post by Kidioteque
Yeah I appreciated the info about Homerton, thanks for that. Really sorry to hear about your dad, hope Cambridge let you defer your place until 2014. :hugs:

thAnk you and sorry for seeming to a) overreact and b) sound smug.:frown:
Original post by gregzz
TH CompSci - Rejection after being pooled
Byebye

Sorry to hear that, seems CompSci is a very competitive subject this year.
Don't suppose it will be too long until my rejection letter comes through now.
We should just be happy that Cambridge see something in us.
Reply 3629
Original post by tooambitious
Accidentally deleted my post :p:

For any fish despairing [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0[/video]

Very cheesy I know but when I was (seriously) flagging on my run today and it came on shuffle it helped a hell of a lot :tongue:
Good luck :h:!
Now back to the cave that is waiting for an Oxford letter :ninja:

Thanks again babe :wink: still lonely in this god-forsaken pool.
Original post by PooPoo
I was so down hearted I literally haven't done any work for 4 days now and have been sitting on here pressing refresh!
But her explaining the actual system and how it isn't meant to be cruel it's just they're fighting over the students made me feel so much better!
long story short if it takes over a week, the chances are more than 1 college wants you

Where did you apply and phys or bio?
I applied from chem eng via phys at downing

If we keep believing then nothing can get us down. Maybe this whole Pool is just a trial of trust and belief in the fact of uncertainty~

I certainly hope we can hold out until the 7 day mark then >=D

Long story w/r/t phys bio here. If I get in I'll be sure to make a full thread about my crazy Cam journey thus far though and my whole complex tale will be explained.

Downing is lovely though. If I wanted any college to fish me it may just be them~
Reply 3631
[QUOTE="Stressed_dad;40915175"]
Original post by Minerva
Yes, I would do that. Good luck to your daughter :smile:

Thanks for that Minerva! I did call and it is all sorted - for your records the second college was Trinity! She has an interview there on Saturday.

Wow a pool interview at Trinity- that's amazing! Good luck!
Original post by PooPoo
I was so down hearted I literally haven't done any work for 4 days now and have been sitting on here pressing refresh!
But her explaining the actual system and how it isn't meant to be cruel it's just they're fighting over the students made me feel so much better!
long story short if it takes over a week, the chances are more than 1 college wants you

Thank you for the post!! My understanding however was that who makes you an offer in the pool first takes you. They could be fighting over you only if two colleges would re-interview you.. isn't that true?

However, It says in one of the official documents that colleges are encouraged to exchange candidates even after the pool has closed. I will try to find the exact words.
No more interview invitations are going to be made, right?
Original post by Zhy

And yet I see you've been making friends :wink: :lol:

Makes sense, looking at the files they gave us.

Original post by Silverland
Ditto. Which college did you pick at Durham? I'll happily go there too if Cam don't want me

In this episode Polymath has more expertise than a Cambridge admissions moderator

Tune in next week for when he takes on the world of Brain surgery!

He is right though, it's very clear in the documents in the first post.

There's no point in getting your hopes up, either. If you are facing a rejection, it's better to be glum about it now rather than later. If you're going to get an offer, you won't care at all about your previous experiences.

Be realistic in the pool - get on with your life, and if an offer comes your way, then you can be happy.

What Mr Optimist said about "If you wait for ages and do finally get a rejection, you can take a tiny bit of comfort in the fact you must have been beaten by literally one person." is quite clearly untrue. If an applicant's file is unmarked, the chances are that they won't hear from Cambridge until well after this date.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3636
Original post by Zhy

WTH are you doing in the pool Zhy... was sure you'd get an offer! :frown: You're too good for Cambridge. :redface:
Reply 3637
Original post by tooambitious
And yet I see you've been making friends :wink: :lol:

Yep :smile: (I'm also doing the fap challenge... wish me luck :redface: )

Original post by AmirHabeeb
WTH are you doing in the pool Zhy... was sure you'd get an offer! :frown: You're too good for Cambridge. :redface:

Definitely not! I have a feeling I'm going to drown. :frown:
Original post by gregzz
TH CompSci - Rejection after being pooled
Byebye

I'm sorry to hear that :frown: At least now you can focus on more important things and start to recover from the anxious waiting knowing you still got pretty dang far! I'm sure in time you'll find that whichever one of your "rushed" choices you've picked, you'll feel it was right to go there, despite the disappointment you feel now.

Best of luck Greggz!
Original post by silentlife
No more interview invitations are going to be made, right?

Well, considering interviews start the day after tomorrow, I seriously doubt it. From now on, it is either a direct offer or rejection.

Latest

Trending

Trending