The Student Room Group

Nearside vs Offside

This is one thing that really bugs me. Without road markings how do you know whether a turn is nearside or offside!

(
Reply 1
Part experience, part common sense.
Reply 2
The nearside is closest to the tree you would hit, the offside is the side furthest away from the tree you are going to hit?

Nearside = Left
Offside = Right

From drivers seat, looking forward...where the wheels that move sideways are.
Reply 3
What does the question mean? I've googled nearside and offside, and they are the two different sides of a car - how can a turn be nearside or offside?? Is a nearside turn = right turn, and offside turn = left turn?

:s-smilie:
Reply 4
Shamefully the only reason I know this is because the many times my vehicle has been damaged and I get endless quotes stating o/s/f panel; n/s/f wing etc !

My logic is your car drives in the left lane and therefore your passenger side must be the nearside (i.e. to the kerb).
Reply 5
nooooooooo lol

i meant (without road markings) how do you know if the turn at a junction should be nearside-to-nearside or offside-to-offside?
Reply 6
What kind of junction are you talking about?
Reply 7
an unmarked one with four roads - North SOuth East West .

Markings for east and west which are nearside to nearside but no markings for north south
Reply 8
A cross road?!
Reply 9
Original post by gbduo
A cross road?!

Yes
Reply 10
Its like below:
pic.JPG
Say im the blue line and theres the black car. Should it be a nearside-nearside or offside-offside turn and why?
Reply 11
If turning left:- Left Lane
If going straight on:- Left Lane
If going right:- Right lane.

Sometime if going straight on you can be in either the left or right lane, but you can be sure you are in the correct lane if you stay to the left, or the nearside.

Simples.
Reply 12
Original post by gbduo
If turning left:- Left Lane
If going straight on:- Left Lane
If going right:- Right lane.

Sometime if going straight on you can be in either the left or right lane, but you can be sure you are in the correct lane if you stay to the left, or the nearside.

Simples.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo lol.

Not what I mean :/

Which one, red or blue (and why)?
Original post by user121
noooooooooooooooooooooooooo lol.

Not what I mean :/

Which one, red or blue (and why)?

Generally blue but you can never be sure so good road positioning is a must to signal your intentions. Some junctions may be offset a bit so one or the other makes more sense (use common sense to work out which way) and sometimes junctions may be marked. Basically, be careful, signal and read the other cars as best as possible when there's not a clear way specified.
Reply 14
Original post by hothedgehog
Generally blue but you can never be sure so good road positioning is a must to signal your intentions. Some junctions may be offset a bit so one or the other makes more sense (use common sense to work out which way) and sometimes junctions may be marked. Basically, be careful, signal and read the other cars as best as possible when there's not a clear way specified.

Thank you, can you relate this back to the photo?
Reply 15
Generally you'd go offside to offside on larger junctions where you may have multiple lanes of traffic coming from the opposite direction, requiring you to have a good view of the road ahead before turning. Although if both directions have traffic light controlled right hand filter lanes, you'd obviously go nearside-nearside.

Nearside to nearside generally seems to be the norm on smaller junctions where there is less chance of the oncoming traffic driving up the inside of the other car that is turning.

Obviously if the junction is slightly staggered it becomes quite clear what is the appropriate route to take.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by user121
Thank you, can you relate this back to the photo?

In the photo either are correct. You just need to see what's coming the other way and then make sure you position your car so it's clear that you are planning to take the route you're taking. It's hard because either are acceptable now so it's really a judgement thing. I personally would do the blue route.
I know it’s late (7years) but I’m gonna answer because Im board and have nothing to do. If it’s marked out on the road follow the instructions. Easy. (Or so you would assume)If there is no markings and it’s a wide junction it would probably be off side. If it’s a narrow and small junction it would be near side. Yet some idiots just choose whatever way they want to go. Sod you basically. You get surprised and flustered and then you either get blocked by on coming vehicles wanting to turn or the lights turn red and you have to get the hell off that junction now! I have been turning right on this particular junction for months now. (I’m new at driving lol) all the cars ALWAYS go off side! Always!!! Today some bloke in a black audi went near side and I was a little shocked and annoyed because I didn’t have a very good point of turn because I didn’t know if he was going to go first or not and if I I drove then he wouldn’t be able to turn and I think that’s dangerous personally but hopefully I will get more experience on the road. Also people seriously need to stop panicking and rushing when driving! Your not cool If you force your way through! Stop! And yes! I can see you rolling down your window screaming abuse at me! Stop!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending