The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Housemates & house for 2013... help!

Here's the thing... I'm starting plymouth college of art sep/oct 2013 after this gap year. I'd really like to go into a house instead of halls as I think I would feel more at home.
Looking on housing agencies there seems to be lots of houses but they want already formed groups which is tricky if you don't know anyone yet! (guess they haven't really thought that one through:L)
I'm 18, will be 19 by Uni time. I'm the sort of person who's quite happy to stay in and have film nights or go out although im not a massive partier/drinker. I like going to the gym, cinema, shopping, the usual stuff. I think it would be cool to have a mix of people from the surrounding unis not just the college of art but doesn't really matter.
Any help or comments or anything really would be very appreciated :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't panic, most agencies will ask for a group of people because it makes life a lot easier for them, it can be difficult finding individual students and guessing whether they will get on or not. However, there are landlords out there who will accept single students. And also during June-August, there are always rooms available in shared houses. for instance, a 4 bedroom house is occupied by only a group of 3.
If your looking for a more homely feel, I would recommend that you go into a house with no more than 4 bedrooms, they are generally medium size and feel more cosy and give of a good atmosphere.

Look at the letting agencies in Plymouth, and just email/telephone them all explaining your situation .. there will be someone who will get back to you!
There is one letting agency I would recommend that you avoid though.. there called Shoreys (Apologies to TSR if this is not allowed!) I had a bad experience with them in my first year. I had to into a shared house because i was ineligible for halls, so I said I wanted to share with first years preferably and they said that they will only put people together who they believed would get on, and over the summer they kept informing me of the people who would be living in the same house(telling me positive things about these people of course)

Eventually I agreed on the property... When I moved in , I was faced with 8 people, 4 of the guys were Rugby/Football players and they were just HORRIBLE NASTY people with no manners or respect .. im a 5ft 2 timid girl who bounced into the letting agency in a flowery dress and these were the people they thought I would get along with.. At one point we had to get the police involved due to harrasment both verbally and physically from these guys.(1 Guy was arrested, the others got a warning). We just wanted to get out of the house because we were actually scared to live there and the agency just wouldn't let us leave despite the guys breaking their contract themselves.
(edited 11 years ago)
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Georgieeeeeeeeee
Here's the thing... I'm starting plymouth college of art sep/oct 2013 after this gap year. I'd really like to go into a house instead of halls as I think I would feel more at home.
Looking on housing agencies there seems to be lots of houses but they want already formed groups which is tricky if you don't know anyone yet! (guess they haven't really thought that one through:L)
I'm 18, will be 19 by Uni time. I'm the sort of person who's quite happy to stay in and have film nights or go out although im not a massive partier/drinker. I like going to the gym, cinema, shopping, the usual stuff. I think it would be cool to have a mix of people from the surrounding unis not just the college of art but doesn't really matter.
Any help or comments or anything really would be very appreciated :smile:

Hey
I'm sort of in the same boat because of the lack of halls at Plymouth uni :s
Anyway I'll be 20 when I start uni and same as you not really a big drinker. Anyway you can pm if you like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi, I am kind of in the same situation. I have a conditional offer at Plymouth Uni and I live in Birmingham. I am not familiar with the whole process, viewing houses and all.

I will also be 20 when I start uni : ) don't drink often and I am more of a chilled person (movie nights, cinema's, shopping love it) but I do like to go out once in a while which is why I'd most probably hate halls. Feel free to send me a message, would be great to make friends. And would also be great to here about how you are all getting on with finding a house...x
Reply 4
Hi,
I'm also looking for housing next year. It will be my first year in Plymouth and I know no one. I'm 20 and male and have seen a few houses I like, but are looking for house mates. I agree with BANS2012 I don't really want to get a house and find my housemates to be horrid. If you have yet to find accommodation I can show you some houses I am looking at around £350 with water, electric, gas, internet and tv all included. It would be nice to meet up and make some friends before going down. As you guys seem nice and more my company (gym and films) rather than people who drink lots. Let me know, thanks :smile:
hello :smile:
I am also looking for a house next year, im a first year student currently living in halls. I am looking for a cheapish house for my second year, but the only issue being i only need a 6 month contract due to being on placement from March. (which is why i cant live with my flatmates next year). If you think it will be too confusing finding a shorter contract dont worry but i am very friendly and seem to be very similar to you guys, and will also be 19 by then :smile:
Let me know
Rebecca :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by callashrimp
Hi,
I'm also looking for housing next year. It will be my first year in Plymouth and I know no one. I'm 20 and male and have seen a few houses I like, but are looking for house mates. I agree with BANS2012 I don't really want to get a house and find my housemates to be horrid. If you have yet to find accommodation I can show you some houses I am looking at around £350 with water, electric, gas, internet and tv all included. It would be nice to meet up and make some friends before going down. As you guys seem nice and more my company (gym and films) rather than people who drink lots. Let me know, thanks :smile:

Hello callashrimp. I have applied to Plymouth but my main concern is if I put a deposit on a house early (like now) and then come August, find out that I haven't got in the uni of Plymouth. I would have probably lost the deposit and the first month's rent (if the landlord asks for that too). I was just wandering, when you get the shared house last year, how did you get around that? Did you wait until August to get the house or did they give you an unconditional offer?

I will be coming to Plymouth this February, maybe I can view some houses but I don't think that I will be paying a deposit there and then even if I do like the house.

And yes, I totally agree with the making friends point. I have a cousin there but it's always nice to meet new people and make friends..x
Reply 7
Original post by Rebecca Laverick
hello :smile:
I am also looking for a house next year, im a first year student currently living in halls. I am looking for a cheapish house for my second year, but the only issue being i only need a 6 month contract due to being on placement from March. (which is why i cant live with my flatmates next year). If you think it will be too confusing finding a shorter contract dont worry but i am very friendly and seem to be very similar to you guys, and will also be 19 by then :smile:
Let me know
Rebecca :smile:

Hey Rebecca Laverick. How much do you pay per month for the halls? And are there any negative experiences or downsides of living in halls?
Hello, i have had a good experience with halls, i dont think you should do first year any other way you are usally right on campus and its so easy to meet other first years, i can honestly say the 5 random people i have been put with i know are going to be friends for a long time. the only negative side is the money, i am currently paying £133 a week for a en-suite single bedroom which is alot and not sure 100% worth it, if your not looking for the socail life halls arent for you, they can be noisy and not perfect but i have loved it!
Reply 9
Hi!
I'm in the exact same position as i am transferring so i know nobody! I also don't really want to go back into halls and would much prefer a house. I'll be 19 when i go and have already experienced freshers so won't be going wild. haha.
Feel free to message me also :smile:
xx

Hi guys,
Ill be 22 when I start in September (fresher technically ) but I've lived in plymouth for a while and have overdone the party scene and It doesn't interest me much anymore lol!
looking for people to share with, and hopefully in a house really close to uni! PM me if you are interested :smile: btw what courses are all of you doing?
K x
Reply 11
I have 2 rooms available in a house of 6 bargain for location and size, text me if interested 07857533828
I have found a house rent £350 pcm whith free evening calls, internet, loads of extras looks lush :smile: If anyone is interested im viewing the house next week, email me if your interested?
Hey callashrimp, where abouts is the house? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 14
Hi Guys,

I am currently in my third year and my dad owns a property which I currently live in, its 7 bedrooms, 6 doubles and one single rent is between 75-90 per week dependent on room size. The house is on North Road East which backs onto the uni so you can't get any closer. It is a lovely house and we are looking to do viewings for sept 2013 if any of you guys are interested let me know :smile:

If any of you need any other advice at all about anything I would be more than happy to help :smile:

xxx
Reply 15
Hi guys,
I'm wondering the exact same thing. I have done a year at university before but am changing to plymouth to start a new course. I'll be 20 starting in september, and I'm from Ireland and I'm male :biggrin: I'm more focused on my sport than drinking but I wont lie.... I like to go out! But not knowing anyone at the Uni I would like to talk to people in the same boat as myself aswell as maybe find housemates :smile:

Hope to be studying Physiotherapy. What about you guys?
I'm going to doing human biosciences or biomedical sciences (haven't decided which one I want to firm yet!)
Are you in plymouth already then ?
K

If anyone is interested ill be looking at 119 north hill and 16 queen Anne's terrace, which is literally opposite the uni next Thursday (rented by Clever student lets)
If you want to join me drop me a message - they are both large houses, 11 and 13 bedrooms which I thought would be nice and social- plus the one on north hill has all ensuite rooms :biggrin:
http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/agent/default.asp?id=17824
That's the website if you wanted a gander :biggrin:

K

Reply 18
Original post by Louieob
I'm going to doing human biosciences or biomedical sciences (haven't decided which one I want to firm yet!)
Are you in plymouth already then ?
K

No, I haven't heard back from the university yet but my application is only gone a week. how much are the houses you are looking at then?
Ah okay, probably around 89-99 per week :smile:
It's tough at the moment though because all of the agency's are looking for groups rather than singles :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending