The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Minerva
It isn't, unfortunately.

Correct.

I'm not sure I entirely follow the logic of what your teacher is saying. The decisions about almost all direct offers have been made by the end of the Pool - the issue is how long colleges take to convey the news, and as we have seen this varies a great deal. As we have also seen, some colleges are quick off the mark (well done King's and Trinity Hall) in letting people know they've been unsuccessful, while others take their own sweet time. So while there is always hope until the fat lady has sung, waiting a long time to hear is not an indicator of either good news or bad news being on its way eventually.

Colleges will negotiate for those applicants who have been called for more than one interview. As I have also said, a (very) small number of people who haven't been called for interview may get offers from their original college, after their re-interviews have been completed. It is also true that another (very) small number of people will get direct offers from other colleges than the one they applied to, if it turns out that the people called for re-interview do not live up to expectation.

Should the people they intend to interview have been contacted by now? Is it more likely to be direct offers/rejections from this point on?
Reply 3801
Original post by honggau
There is something I don't understand.
There are two documents about the Pool thing and they have different information, very little but quite important
In this http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/winterpooltutors2013.pdf at the final stage section, they say all files will be returned to the preference college on the 7TH OF JANUARY
but in this http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/winterpoolofficers2013.pdf it's said it's the 9TH OF JANUARY
So what's the exact date? Judging by the fact that some colleges (King, Trinity) have already given out rejections so it should be the 7th of January but I emailed St John yesterday to ask about my file and she said today that she had no information suggesting it'd be 9th of Jan.
What the hell?
I suspect that's a failure to amend the date when the documents were updated for this year. 9th January for the return of the files seems more likely.

However, as interview and offer lists were circulated to all colleges on Saturday, the admissions officers would be able to tell who of the people they pooled had been picked up by another college, and therefore determine that everyone else was unsuccessful, since clearly they would know about anyone they were keeping 'on ice'.
Reply 3802
Original post by Minerva
I suspect that's a failure to amend the date when the documents were updated for this year. 9th January for the return of the files seems more likely.

Tbh, it was probably Mon 7th Jan. I remember from last year the decision letters arrived on the 6th (2 days later) so the return date was probably 9th Jan last year (a Monday).

Anyhow, I suspect a lot of rejections will come through via Track probs mid Jan.
Original post by SilverDawn
Perfect, well done! :smile: Ha, I would love to meet you there, after visiting Cambridge I think it is actually now my favourite college.

Oh really? :smile: Well I really do wish you the best of luck! And tell me how it goes!
Reply 3804
What I would do to see the pooling process from the dons point of view......
Original post by jdel123
What I would do to see the pooling process from the dons point of view......

I think the closest you will get is this excellent article from the guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/jan/10/how-cambridge-admissions-really-work
Reply 3806
Original post by Minerva

However, as interview and offer lists were circulated to all colleges on Saturday, the admissions officers would be able to tell who of the people they pooled had been picked up by another college, and therefore determine that everyone else was unsuccessful, since clearly they would know about anyone they were keeping 'on ice'.

Well, according to what you post, is it true that for an international student who has not heard anything from Cambridge, his status could either be 'under active consideration from one college' or 'rejected' but not 'under consideration from more than one college'?
Reply 3807
Original post by L_X_0.0
Well, according to what you post, is it true that for an international student who has not heard anything from Cambridge, his status could either be 'under active consideration from one college' or 'rejected' but not 'under consideration from more than one college'?

being an international student really sucks...i hate the time difference too :/
i havent heard a thing and i think that could mean anything...
I've been in this airport since 5am. If they don't give me an offer after this interview I may well cry :L.
MESSAGE FOR MINERVA

Thankfully, my son was fished early on, but we have spent a long time following this thread and dipped into last year's. I wanted to thank you for the incredible work you do for these young people, it is a real labour of love, and gives support during what is an indescribably stressful time. Here at home we obsessively discuss who or what Minerva can be, but whoever you are, you are wonderfu, especially as you also help people at the other end of the process and of the scale on other threads who are strugggling to get a PS together or fathom the UCAS form for a chance at any university at alll. Thank you again.
Reply 3810
when was your son fished?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3811
can anyone explain this? if i am an EU applicant so I do not have any UMS, what is the criteria for getting pooled? Interview performance? I applied for medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3812
Original post by Rhiannonymous
Is it still possible to be given an offer from the college you originally applied to at this stage?
It's possible but unlikely now.

Original post by insomniacramblings
Do all colleges get a look at your file before decisions are made, or are they sorted through in a different way? Sorry if theres an obvious answer, I was curious about how they do it for a while.
Yes, your file will have been available to anyone who wanted to look at it. Don't forget that before Christmas they'll (ie each group of Subject admissions tutors) have sat down with the files and lists and pretty much worked out who would be in the Pool.

Original post by aakd
I really hope you're right!! Thanks for calming me down a bit!

Minerva, do you think this could be true? It sounds completely plausible?
See my earlier answer. I get what they're saying, and for some people it will be true that no new is good news, but it isn't the case that colleges are still 'fighting over' individual applicants. The only cases where that might now happen are where people have been called for re-interview at more than one college - a very small number.
Reply 3813
Original post by Minerva

Hello Minerva,

Can you help me with this one? if i am an EU applicant so I do not have any UMS, what is the criteria for getting pooled? Interview performance? I applied for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3814
Original post by insomniacramblings
Should the people they intend to interview have been contacted by now? Is it more likely to be direct offers/rejections from this point on?
Yes, to both.

Original post by L_X_0.0
His status could be that a direct offer has been agreed but not yet communicated, or that he has been rejected and this has not yet been communicated, or (in a very small number of cases) that his application is still on the 'pending' list awaiting the outcome of any re-interviews. From the way the process is described, there can't be more than one college in the frame now.

Original post by toomanycats
MESSAGE FOR MINERVA

Thankfully, my son was fished early on, but we have spent a long time following this thread and dipped into last year's. I wanted to thank you for the incredible work you do for these young people, it is a real labour of love, and gives support during what is an indescribably stressful time. Here at home we obsessively discuss who or what Minerva can be, but whoever you are, you are wonderfu, especially as you also help people at the other end of the process and of the scale on other threads who are strugggling to get a PS together or fathom the UCAS form for a chance at any university at alll. Thank you again.
:rofl: What a lovely thing to read on a dark and dreary winter's morning. Thank you kindly :o:

Congratulations to your son :biggrin:

Original post by dornam
can anyone explain this? if i am an EU applicant so I do not have any UMS, what is the criteria for getting pooled? Interview performance? I applied for medicine
A generally strong application (including but not limited to interview performance), one that isn't quite strong enough to warrant an offer without futher consideration against other applicants.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3815
Has anyone heard back for natural sciences (bio) yet?
Reply 3816
Good Morning all

Apologies for being an absent friend yesterday - real life was claiming my attentions more than usual, so I also haven't had time to do an update for today. However, the summary position is:

303 poolees who have posted on their own account, of whom
68 have received direct offers,
31 have been recalled for interview (one by telephone), and
16 have heard that they've drowned :frown:

I've loved all the fish puns. I am absolutely no good at this myself, but I hugely enjoy seeing other people come up with them.

Commiserations to the unsuccessful - great to see you moving on to the other opportunities you have before you. Remember that every one of you got into the Pool in the first place because of your potential for great things, and that hasn't gone away just because Cambridge has finite capacity and can't take everyone it might like to.

We won't see any new invitations to interview, as they start tomorrow, but there should still be some direct offers to come in over the next few days. Much kudos to King's and Trinity Hall for getting their act together and letting the unsuccessful know quickly. Would that all the other colleges behaved as considerately.

I'm working all day today but will be around this evening. Keep faith, those of you still swimming, and stay calm, those of you preparing for interviews. All you can do is give it your best shot; no-one can ask for more. Be yourself, don't be disconcerted if you don't know the answer to a question, or get it wrong - they are much more interested in how you think and tackle new ideas.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Minerva

Well I second the kind words said by toomanycats - you do an amazing job :smile:
Reply 3818
Original post by shamika
Well I second the kind words said by toomanycats - you do an amazing job :smile:
Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Northern_Ireland
I've been in this airport since 5am. If they don't give me an offer after this interview I may well cry :L.

Good luck :smile: do it for the fishes!

Latest

Trending

Trending