The Student Room Group

Smiled on by a random girl in public

Scroll to see replies

It might not have meant anything. I mean, I smile at people all the time just because I'm a naturally smiley person and I like to smile at people :smile:

But on another note I wouldn't mind a stranger talking to me on the bus. I like meeting and chatting with new people even if I won't ever see them again. Not gonna lie, I'm one of those annoying people who try and make small talk to the person next to me on the bus; it feels unsociable and unfriendly not to. But obviously if they are just giving one word answers I don't plough on regardless haha.

It's obvious if people don't wanna talk anyways, like if they have ear phones in or if they're reading or something. If they don't seem like they wanna talk, drop it but if their body language is positive and they're smiling or whatever you may as well talk to them. It's better than sitting in a taciturn silence IMO :biggrin:
Original post by Wulf chan
I don't see the problem tbh. You get like older people making conversation at bus stops and stuff, and I don't mind. If someone caught my eye, who I thought was attractive and they started talking to me I'd be really happy. I know I would screw it up because I'm bad with conversation :P but it would still be nice. I've had some complete nutters talk to me before and I'm not massively keen, but what can you do.

how about old men?
Original post by battycatlady
It might not have meant anything. I mean, I smile at people all the time just because I'm a naturally smiley person and I like to smile at people :smile:

But on another note I wouldn't mind a stranger talking to me on the bus. I like meeting and chatting with new people even if I won't ever see them again. Not gonna lie, I'm one of those annoying people who try and make small talk to the person next to me on the bus; it feels unsociable and unfriendly not to. But obviously if they are just giving one word answers I don't plough on regardless haha.

It's obvious if people don't wanna talk anyways, like if they have ear phones in or if they're reading or something. If they don't seem like they wanna talk, drop it but if their body language is positive and they're smiling or whatever you may as well talk to them. It's better than sitting in a taciturn silence IMO :biggrin:

yes but its wrong to assume if a girl smiles at you.. she must like you.

gosh some guys get it so wrong.
Original post by Runninground
She probably looked, made eye contact so smiled. Then she worried about how awkward the encounter was and how she thinks you probably fancy her now.

She is really worried about it. She feels that you may be one of those strange guys who talk to random girls on buses. She is of the opinion that you may have strange phraseology, like saying "smiled on me". She wonders why.
I smile at everyone....

And I find chats with strangers on public transport incredibly awkward. I mean, not if it's like a two minute conversation that just so happens to come up randomly, but not a prolonged, intentional conversation. I like to daydream on buses.
Original post by hannahchan
how about old men?

lol I actually had that happen yesterday, a 50 year old man talking to me and acting a bit weird. I don't mind if they act normal but this guy was clearly drunk or something..
Reply 106
I generally smile at most people I pass when out and about, I don't really know why! It's probably just her being friendly, but by all means talk to her, it should be pretty obvious if she's not interested in talking back, which is your signal to stop!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending