The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Clare sent me my rejection e-mail this morning- good luck to all of you still waiting! :smile:
Reply 3901
Original post by joyie
being an international student really sucks...i hate the time difference too :/
i havent heard a thing and i think that could mean anything...

Did you go to Pembroke for the interview? I wonder if we have ever met in the Junior Parlour...
Back to school tomorrow...not looking forward to telling my maths teachers that I haven't got an offer. :frown: I just want the rejection email already, hurry it up Robinson!
Original post by IntangibleBadMan
Just got an Interview at Cambridge,with just 3Bs!
Wondering why though? Could it be to do with my work experience and charms?

Well done!
Please could you tell us the subject, original college you applied for and which college is now interviewing you?
Reply 3904
I get eaten by the worms
And weird fishes!..:cool:

Ever since the pool this has been stuck in my head

Original post by spacemenrule94
Got my fingers crossed for you :smile:

It's hard to tell. Both my interviews were subject-specific, but I was much more nervous in the first interview, and I think some of my answers were a bit too basic. I was also asked about whether political poetry is relevant and I, without thinking, said that a lot of the poetry about politics I'd read tended to be pretty bad. Luckily, they laughed, but it was a close one!

I think the second interview was more challenging, but I rather enjoyed it, and I felt like that one went rather well.

I'm pretty sure I was pooled through the autopool criteria (93%+ UMS average) rather than my interviews, though!

How did your interviews go? :smile:
I hope we get fished soon!

My first one was very subject specific, with very philosophical/thought provoking questions. I was happy with how that one went... But the second one was a DISASTER :s-smilie:. I made the mistake of expecting it the second interview to be similar to the first one, but they had very different styles.

The second one started off not too badly, but it got worse as it went along. I was so nervous I didn't quite comprehend the questions (though they were pretty straight forward, looking back) and responded before thinking it through, so I ended up waffling about and switching arguments mid-sentence. :facepalm:

I'm actually surprised I made it to the pool, considering I was already an atypical applicant. I can't help but hate the anxiety, my mind keeps drifting off to my inbox when I'm supposed to be revising :tongue:

What part of HSPS are you interested in? :smile:
Reply 3906
Keep swimming fish!
I was in your position 2 years ago! Had to go for an reinterview at Fitzwilliam, pooled by Emma for engineering.
Got into Fitz! If you have a reinterview your chances are pretty good, I think it's ~50% just keep calm and try and think why your other interviews didn't go as well.
Hopefully see some of you in Fitz! :biggrin:
Original post by PooPoo
Hello people, I have some information that may put you all at ease a little bit, it helped me feel a bit better.

My maths teacher has been dealing with oxbridge applicantions for 20+years and works very closely with Cambridge to moderate STEP papers and things (she is ridiculously clever and got a full scholarship to go to cambridge and what she told me today made me feel a lot better.

I haven't been contacted so assumed I was just going to get rejected but apparently the longer you're in the pool without being rejected the better your chances!
Each college marks your application if they're interested, then the application is returned to your preference college. If you haven't been marked, you get rejected.
However, if more than one college has marked you, they will squabble over who gets you for many days and the longer the wait for you, the better your chances.
so NO NEWS IS NOT BAD NEWS
My teacher said she has known this to even take in to the first few days of Feb
She seemed pleased that I hadn't heard anything as it usually is a good sign.

I also imagine a lot of people that have recieved rejections at this point wouldn't have posted and would have just left the thread, so you won't hear about the rejections that have been handed out.

If you wait for ages and do finally get a rejection, you can take a tiny bit of comfort in the fact you must have been beaten by literally one person.

anyway, I hope this helps, it made me feel better about myself and realise I can stop stalking this page constantly.

Edit: Just for people's curiosity, I was pooled from Downing after applying for chemical engineering via NatSci, I'm post A level with 94% average in my A2 and 88% average in AS

this just made my day :heart::headbang:
Reply 3908
Original post by anamzaman

Too bad it's a load of poo poo
Reply 3909
Original post by nicolettuce
Back to school tomorrow...not looking forward to telling my maths teachers that I haven't got an offer. :frown: I just want the rejection email already, hurry it up Robinson!

Did you apply for maths? :frown: so did I!
School maths teacher was disappointed in me and shocked :frown:

What was your ums like?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

worth reading Minervas response before getting too excited
Original post by aakd
Did you apply for maths? :frown: so did I!
School maths teacher was disappointed in me and shocked :frown:

What was your ums like?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

No I applied for compsci, so my maths teachers are my best bet for support (I think aside from one other 6 years ago, nobody's applied for compsci at my school for the last 10 years or so...:s-smilie:). I think my UMS was around 95, how about you?
Reply 3912

I really hope this is true! I was pooled by Downing too but for Law

Shame it isnt true :frown:
Whoever gets 93% average except for Maths and Medicine will be pooled no matter how they did in the interview? Is that correct?
Original post by Question Mark
worth reading Minervas response before getting too excited

haha yeah I just read it. :cool:
Original post by hassassin04
Whoever gets 93% average except for Maths and Medicine will be pooled no matter how they did in the interview? Is that correct?

I think its 95%+
Original post by Abutlerrush
Shame it isnt true :frown:

who knows? nothing's certain when it comes to this process
Reply 3918
Are all pool offers sent by email outside the UK?
Reply 3919
Rejection by email from Clare for linguistics. Came at 1030 this morning. Thought I'd post as it may encourage some of you who are still waiting and also help with the statistics for other years. Good luck to everyone left. You must be beyond brilliant as his academic profile was outstanding although he had one terrible interview ( and one which seemed to be okay). Fingers crossed to everyone left.

Latest

Trending

Trending