The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by insomniacramblings
I think its 95%+

It is 93% but does it mean everybody gets pooled regardless of the performance in the interview?
Reply 3921
Also heaps of thanks to the wonderful MINERVA for loads of helpful information without which this whole process would have been even worse if that's possible.
Original post by Macleod
Just received my rejection from Trinity; pros/cons of waiting a year to reapply? (I wasn't auto-pooled if it makes a difference)

Heyyy, I'm a gap yeary, I did not apply last year at all to uni partly as I didn't think cambridge would have me as my AS UMS scores were not great (although mainly as i needed maturing time!!) So I've applied this year and now have a second interview this friday.
Ok so my advantage was that I could work like crazyyyy to get decent A2 grades, however retrospectively I'm wondering whether taking a year off as a way of improving chances was worth it. I'm still very very doubtful that i will get in. It's also a lot of time a year, I sorta miss being in academic studies. So it is a huge risk to take. If you're that set on Cambridge then do it, but it's a massive choice to wait a year. Plus I DO feel disadvantaged in that my memory isn't amazing on some stuff, I certainly feel the interview could have gone better last year, it's taken alot of stress and preparation. I wouldnt advise taking a year off to reapply. Go with one of your other offers, Cam isn't everything! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 3923
Original post by hassassin04
It is 93% but does it mean everybody gets pooled regardless of the performance in the interview?

Yes I believe so.

Yeah- if you get a ums of over 93% you'll be autopooled regardless, but your original college also rates your original application and includes a report on your interviews, so you don't want to only be pooled by necessity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3925
//
(edited 11 years ago)
I think its 95%+

93 is correct

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I think its 95%+

no its 93+ he's right
Original post by trin67
Rejection by email from Clare for linguistics. Came at 1030 this morning. Thought I'd post as it may encourage some of you who are still waiting and also help with the statistics for other years. Good luck to everyone left. You must be beyond brilliant as his academic profile was outstanding although he had one terrible interview ( and one which seemed to be okay). Fingers crossed to everyone left.

It's admirable you thought of those still waiting! You'll probably do amazingly in uni, wherever you go.
Original post by Minerva

I've been rejected from Trinity for Mathematics; email came through at 10:51. This was really important to me and I'd just like some advice on how to proceed. Thanks.

My second choice University would be Imperial, although I'm still waiting for a reply (I'm quite confident of getting an offer though), but I'd rather study at Cambridge and I think I could get some really good grades this summer if I really work at it. I'm talking between 4-6A*s at A-Level and I'm confident of scoring well in STEP: my target is S,S,S across STEP I,II,III.

My question is basically, is it worth reapplying next year? If I achieve the grades described above, would I then be a good position to get in for 2014 entry? I am genuinely willing to give up most of time to sit and work to get these results (especially for STEP) and how hard I work won't be affected by my chances of getting in after reapplying (I'll do it regardless). So it's more, would I have a good chance of being accepted next year and do you think it'd be worth it?

Moreover, what should I do over a gap year if I choose to go for this option? Should I find a 1 year course or something with Open University and then just do lots of additional maths, just to show Cambridge that I'm not sat at home doing nothing.

Also, if I was to reject my other Universities this year and then reapply again for the same (or similar) five universities, am I likely to be at a disadvantage with them next year? I would be grateful if anyone could help me on this. Thanks a lot.
(edited 11 years ago)
ow and btw someone got an offer today. know its sciences (have a small feeling it's maths but not sure) + dont know college detail but.. YOU CAN STILL GET AN OFFER! hope this makes everyone feel better... not drowning yet!

My bad, I had the number 95 in my head somehow. :tongue:

Yes, even if you were unsuccessful in the interview, you're automatically pooled if you had over 93%.
My rejection from Clare for law came through today-hardly surprising considering how my interview went, and probably for the best it has to be said (The decision's been made for me, now I don't have to think seriously about whether or not I'd actually like to go to Cambridge), as a result I feel incredible at the moment. I sincerely wish those of you still left in the pool all the luck in the world, particularly if law is where your aspirations lie.

Don't fear rejection, you're all Cambridge standard so will without a doubt do well anywhere else. Good luck.
I hope we get fished soon!

My first one was very subject specific, with very philosophical/thought provoking questions. I was happy with how that one went... But the second one was a DISASTER :s-smilie:. I made the mistake of expecting it the second interview to be similar to the first one, but they had very different styles.

The second one started off not too badly, but it got worse as it went along. I was so nervous I didn't quite comprehend the questions (though they were pretty straight forward, looking back) and responded before thinking it through, so I ended up waffling about and switching arguments mid-sentence. :facepalm:

I'm actually surprised I made it to the pool, considering I was already an atypical applicant. I can't help but hate the anxiety, my mind keeps drifting off to my inbox when I'm supposed to be revising :tongue:

What part of HSPS are you interested in? :smile:

Oh dear :s-smilie: Yeah, at Downing the first interview was supposed to put applicants at ease (at both interviews I was asked whether it was the first or the second interview, and the second set of interviewers said "Ok, we're going to try to push you, now") but the second one was in a very different style.

I'm sure your interviewers must have thought that the interviews went better than you felt, if you got placed into the pool. Hahah, and in the first interview I had to ask to start again because I was talking myself in circles :frown:

Ooh, same! I've spent the last 5 days doing basically nothing but keeping track of this thread, checking my emails, and feeling anxious. I feel for you!

Well, I'm mostly interested in Politics & IR, and I find sociology fascinating. I reckon if I did get a place (I can only hope!) I'd probably try out social anthropology as well...

How about you? :biggrin:
Reply 3934
Original post by L_X_0.0
Did you go to Pembroke for the interview? I wonder if we have ever met in the Junior Parlour...

sorry, no. i had my interview in india :smile: have you been fished yet?
Accidentally -1 Minerva's first post about the FAQ......sorry! >_<
Reply 3936
Original post by Rhiannonymous
Accidentally -1 Minerva's first post about the FAQ......sorry! >_<

You're the first person to ever do that, even last year no one did that.
Reply 3937
Drowned today :tongue:
St John's - Music
Reply 3938
My little sister just came home with two Refreshers sticks for me, what a cutie pie :cute: Maybe I should go through emotional turmoil more often...
Original post by \/ibhav
I've been rejected from Trinity for Mathematics; email came through at 10:51. This was really important to me and I'd just like some advice on how to proceed. Thanks.

My second choice University would be Imperial, although I'm still waiting for a reply (I'm quite confident of getting an offer though), but I'd rather study at Cambridge and I think I could get some really good grades this summer if I really work at it. I'm talking between 4-6A*s at A-Level and I'm confident of scoring well in STEP: my target is S,S,S across STEP I,II,III.

My question is basically, is it worth reapplying next year? If I achieve the grades described above, would I then be a good position to get in for 2014 entry? I am genuinely willing to give up most of time to sit and work to get these results (especially for STEP) and how hard I work won't be affected by my chances of getting in after reapplying (I'll do it regardless). So it's more, would I have a good chance of being accepted next year and do you think it'd be worth it?

Moreover, what should I do over a gap year if I choose to go for this option? Should I find a 1 year course or something with Open University and then just do lots of additional maths, just to show Cambridge that I'm not sat at home doing nothing.

Also, if I was to reject my other Universities this year and then reapply again for the same (or similar) five universities, am I likely to be at a disadvantage with them next year? I would be grateful if anyone could help me on this. Thanks a lot.

One can always pursue Master's degree in Cambridge after finishing Bachelors at Imperial. :smile: This way you gain Masters without losing a year.. Good luck.

Latest