The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4180
Original post by WhiteHouses
Any Emma fishes any news?

not that I've seen. There seems to be a lack of us on this thread.
Reply 4181
Original post by Stray
31 colleges, 28 subjects, could potentially have 800+ B marks.

True, I hadn't bothered to do the maths for myself. I'll stick to my argument though. The timetable says that unsuccessful files would have been returned to preference colleges today, meaning that we should expect them to start communicating a lot of rejections soon (Trinity seemed to get the ball rolling today). If you take a cursory glance at last years thread you'll see a similar thing happened - a few days of near silence and then rejections began arriving by college from the 10th onwards either by email, post or (somewhat insensitively in the case of Caius) Track.
Reply 4182
Original post by WJRA
True, I hadn't bothered to do the maths for myself. I'll stick to my argument though. The timetable says that unsuccessful files would have been returned to preference colleges today, meaning that we should expect them to start communicating a lot of rejections soon (Trinity seemed to get the ball rolling today). If you take a cursory glance at last years thread you'll see a similar thing happened - a few days of near silence and then rejections began arriving by college from the 10th onwards either by email, post or (somewhat insensitively in the case of Caius) Track.

True. All I was saying is that lack of clarity at this point can't be interpreted, because it either means you haven't been marked but the final decision hasn't reached you yet, or you have been marked B and your fate won't be determined until someone else has been interviewed. While as a whole there will be more rejections than offers, on a case-by-case basis nothing can be reliably inferred yet.
Original post by Stray
Post A-level they use your A2 results, and A*A*A* will get you auto-pooled.

The A2 modules are generally harder, and they talk a lot about trajectory, so your AS marks wouldn't necessarily count against you (and might even be in your favour if it looked like you were late in finding your stride rather than a slacker in Year 12).

Nope :frown: I got pretty good GCSEs 9A* 2A so it literally is a year 12 slack if I manage to get my grades up.
Reply 4184
Original post by Stray
True. All I was saying is that lack of clarity at this point can't be interpreted, because it either means you haven't been marked but the final decision hasn't reached you yet, or you have been marked B and your fate won't be determined until someone else has been interviewed. While as a whole there will be more rejections than offers, on a case-by-case basis nothing can be reliably inferred yet.

Agreed. It seems a given that we'll remain in limbo for a while longer. Hopefully not too long though :wink:
I’m the dad of a guy who was placed in the pool last Friday, and has been fished out with an offer recently. I wanted to make my one post on TSR a thank you to all those who have kept him (and me) just about sane since last week, and I guarantee that I’ve read every post in this thread since it started. I’ve rejoiced with everyone who’s had offers, winced with every post informing us of rejection, and kept the knot in my gut for all those who are still waiting to hear.

To all of you, if you ever have a question in job interviews in the next 20 years “Have you ever had a stressful situation in life, and what did you do/how did you cope?” I’m sure that being pooled, no matter what the eventual outcome, would provide you with a good answer to this question and convince the interviewer that you’re worthy of the job!

I’m not saying any more about which College etc, as he’s already posted the info on here, and I don’t want the “oh b****y h**l dad, you’re embarrassing!” But thanks to you all, and especially Miranda, for helping us to keep the faith. Remember, wherever you are, your university years are what you make them. I wasn’t at Oxbridge, and I still keep in touch with friends I made at university many years ago. So, whichever University you end up at, I wish you intellectual satisfaction, a fun time, and fond memories.
Reply 4186
Original post by HarryCross
Thanks!! I hope it goes well, have you got one at Fitz/what for? :smile:

Thank you but no, I'm still waiting :frown:
Original post by nearlymaddad
I’m the dad of a guy who was placed in the pool last Friday, and has been fished out with an offer recently. I wanted to make my one post on TSR a thank you to all those who have kept him (and me) just about sane since last week, and I guarantee that I’ve read every post in this thread since it started. I’ve rejoiced with everyone who’s had offers, winced with every post informing us of rejection, and kept the knot in my gut for all those who are still waiting to hear.

To all of you, if you ever have a question in job interviews in the next 20 years “Have you ever had a stressful situation in life, and what did you do/how did you cope?” I’m sure that being pooled, no matter what the eventual outcome, would provide you with a good answer to this question and convince the interviewer that you’re worthy of the job!

I’m not saying any more about which College etc, as he’s already posted the info on here, and I don’t want the “oh b****y h**l dad, you’re embarrassing!” But thanks to you all, and especially Miranda, for helping us to keep the faith. Remember, wherever you are, your university years are what you make them. I wasn’t at Oxbridge, and I still keep in touch with friends I made at university many years ago. So, whichever University you end up at, I wish you intellectual satisfaction, a fun time, and fond memories.

Well done to him, what course and what college did he apply to, and where did he get accepted at?
Reply 4188
Did you read his third paragraph?

Congratulations.
Original post by mucgoo
Did you read his third paragraph?

Congratulations.

Oh yeah, sorry it's getting late and i've spent so long today stalking this thread :P

But also it'd be good to know which college started sending things out today...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dawn6789
Thank you but no, I'm still waiting :frown:

Oh well, good luck! You might still get a direct offer!
Reply 4191
Original post by nearlymaddad

That's a great line, if there's one thing people should remember from this thread, it's that. Thank you. :smile:
Reply 4192
Original post by HarryCross
Oh well, good luck! You might still get a direct offer!

Thank you :smile:
Original post by lighterthanAyer
Which college is that? :confused:

Murray Edwards......I'm guessing you chose Philosophy as your subject judging by your username? :P
Original post by ASoda
which college? and what course did you apply for?

Murray Edwards, Phys NatSci, I was pooled FROM there and it's where most of the fishes go :s-smilie:

You?
Original post by Rhiannonymous
Murray Edwards, Phys NatSci, I was pooled FROM there and it's where most of the fishes go :s-smilie:

You?

Just a point of interest,
I would assume that Murray Edwards gets less applicants, so therefore would have more spaces free to pool. So does that mean there is a slight sexism to the pool, that more girls may get a offer through the pool than guys?

Would be cool to see some stats :P

(Not trying to imply it's unfair, just interested)
Original post by Chrisgame
Just a point of interest,
I would assume that Murray Edwards gets less applicants, so therefore would have more spaces free to pool. So does that mean there is a slight sexism to the pool, that more girls may get a offer through the pool than guys?

Would be cool to see some stats :P

(Not trying to imply it's unfair, just interested)

Ive got to admit this seems logical, girls must have a marginally better chance if they have two more colleges to fish them
Clare English fish drowned this afternoon.

Good luck to you all who are left swimming- its been lovely chatting and listening to you all.
ok so i still haven't heard anything

pooled by pembroke for phys nat sci
98% UMS average

has it past the point where there is any real chance of being fished?
Original post by Abutlerrush
Ive got to admit this seems logical, girls must have a marginally better chance if they have two more colleges to fish them

I doubt it - the university statistics say that there are more men than women overall in Cambridge. This is one of the reasons why the women's colleges still refuse to let men in; it would increase the gender bias.

If that's true with accepted people, it's probably true for applicants and poolees too :smile:

Good luck to all you fishes :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending