The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chrisgame
Just a point of interest,
I would assume that Murray Edwards gets less applicants, so therefore would have more spaces free to pool. So does that mean there is a slight sexism to the pool, that more girls may get a offer through the pool than guys?

Would be cool to see some stats :P

(Not trying to imply it's unfair, just interested)

No it makes sense to suggest that but then again, that IS where most of the pooles (both summer and winter) end up at if they are female so there would be more spaces for boys, given the reduced number of girls left.

I've found a good application stat sight you might want to take a look at and rejiggle the numbers for.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/

PS ME does still get quite quite oversubscribed but their aim is to purposefully leave space so that they can grab all the Pembroke, Christ, Jesus, King's etc applicants that were pooled.
Reply 4201
Original post by Mathinpool
Minevra,
I was pooled by Trinity Maths...
How do you see the chance of getting fished now from past years...
Can't tell, I'm afraid, as we don't know how many of you were pooled, or from which college. Also, the proportion of pool offers in a given subject will vary from year to year, so although last year overall about 1 in 5 maths offers went to poolees, we can't say that the same pattern will occur this year. Sorry :frown:
Original post by gringamom
Dear fishies, I have been lurking and making myself crazy reading this thread, and I am just the parent of a little fish (pooled from Clare CompSci, not heard anything yet). My little fish is too nervous to even look at this thread. Good luck to all of you! I really enjoyed all the fishy puns yesterday.

I don't want to be koi, I reckon my chances now are wearing quite fin. My John's pool letter has been the sole communication post-interview, I wish they would just get in touch; email, call, anything in whiting would do! I've not given up hope yet but I'm waiting with baited breath. :titan:

:colondollar:
Reply 4203
Original post by MissMedic
Does anyone for the medicine open offers, do you have to first be fished by a college and rejected from them before you can get one or if you haven't been fished at all can you still get one? :/ I'm clutching at straws here, trying to keep optimistic :frown:
You can be fished for consideration for an open offer, as I understand it.
Original post by BEVLA12
Ok. I'll take your advice!!

Hey fellow downing history fish you heard anything yet?? :smile:
Reply 4205
The plural of fish is fish. Good night everybody, I hope tomorrow brings news :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello all, I applied to Catz for nat sci but got my rejection letter today.

My second choice is UCL, which always attracted me and the natsci course there seems to have a very good layout, but apparently its reputation is not that great for sciences, and it is mainly known for history?

As I only got the letter today, I am still thinking through a lot of things, and was considering taking a year out, teaching myself further maths and applying with my grades.

Is this a stupid idea, I'm not sure as I haven't asked anyone yet. Thanks in advance.
I have to apologise to Minerva as in my post above, I referred to her as Miranda. Profuse apologies, Ma'am. My brain has atrophied since Friday, and I'm only a spectator!
Reply 4208
Original post by SarahAlexis
This intrigues me- so if you messed up your AS exams, resat them and then did very well in A2 and achieved 3A* in one sitting without any retakes at A2, would this be enough to negate the bad AS performance and resits (which they don't like) or would they still look at it?

Also, I've got my fingers crossed for all of you on here, especially for my best friend who is still in the pool... good luck everyone :biggrin:
I'm sure they'd look at everything, but would be very interested in how you turned things around so solidly at A2.
Original post by Colmillium
Hello all, I applied to Catz for nat sci but got my rejection letter today.

My second choice is UCL, which always attracted me and the natsci course there seems to have a very good layout, but apparently its reputation is not that great for sciences, and it is mainly known for history?

As I only got the letter today, I am still thinking through a lot of things, and was considering taking a year out, teaching myself further maths and applying with my grades.

Is this a stupid idea, I'm not sure as I haven't asked anyone yet. Thanks in advance.

UCL is good for everything as far as I'm aware, my friend's going there for medicine (after being turned down by Oxford...)

Edit: the london uni's are all pretty good :smile: I don't think it's top for science but it's still a great uni (arrr! can't... articulate... thoughts....)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by annehogarth
UCL is good for everything as far as I'm aware, my friend's going there for medicine (after being turned down by Oxford...)

Edit: the london uni's are all pretty good :smile: I don't think it's top for science but it's still a great uni (arrr! can't... articulate... thoughts....)

Yeah, although I am predicted fairly highly so I want to go to the best places I can. I was fairly restricted as not many places offer natural sciences. This is why I was thinking of teaching myself further maths and reapplying for natsci at cambridge, but physics at others (namely ICL)
Are there any medics out there that don't mind posting up there stats? I just want to compare my chances. I am pretty sure that I'll be receiving a rejection sooner rather than later, but I'd rather be content (for now) with believing that there is still a chance (even if remote) that I'll be fished. Cheers.
Reply 4212
Original post by Rhiannonymous
Accidentally -1 Minerva's first post about the FAQ......sorry! >_<
How odd - no neg from you is showing up on my list :smile:

Original post by Namod
You're the first person to ever do that, even last year no one did that.
But I have got one from you?!
Reply 4213
Original post by annehogarth
Hey fellow downing history fish you heard anything yet?? :smile:

unfortunately not...have you?
wish downing would just hurry up, even if it is a rejection (which seems likely)
Reply 4214
Original post by joyie
am i right in thinking that if we havent heard anything yet, we're definately not getting interviews (i was never getting one anyway- international)- so our only hope at this point would be to get a direct offer, for which the deadline is the 14th? so if we dont hear anything by then that means we have been rejected? sorry if these are stupid questions but can someone please clarify for me?
If you haven't heard anything by the 14th a rejection is more likely, but an offer just might happen.

Original post by joyie
what??? they mail you?? so why have i been checking my inbox like an idiot??!! :facepalm:
are you sure? even for international students? how can i ask them to email me instead?o
oh can i ask when they sent your letter?
They do send emails - some colleges expect you to ask for this, though.

Original post by sarah-madeline
right I have a question which i would really really like answering!!!

POOLED INTERVIEWS- for Queens' I was told to write down three topic areas of which I wanted to talk about for the interview. However I now have one at Murray Edwards. Will these three topic areas have been passed on?! Or is it just Queens' which work by the 'three topic area' thing? Otherwise I have loadsss to revise!!!! BioNatSci by the way. Thanks!
No, I doubt they will. Murray Edwards will give their own interview guidance, or not, as the case seems to be.

Don't worry too much about cramming in 'knowledge'. They won't mind the odd blank moment or wrong answer- what they want to know is how you think and how you tackle new topics/ideas.
Original post by Minerva

Oh........I could have sworn I clicked it XD as I'm fairly new to this, if you -1 a comment, can you +1 it at a later time? If so, will it cancel out your -1? Bit of a silly question I know....
Original post by BEVLA12
unfortunately not...have you?
wish downing would just hurry up, even if it is a rejection (which seems likely)

I totally agree...my friend just found an interview request in his inbox...congrats to him, but this is honestly driving me insane...haven't been able to revise at all :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Minerva

And well.....this seems awkward XD
Reply 4218
Original post by joyie
IMPORTANT QUESTION
is it true that the even the decisions for pooled applicants have been posted to us? becuase the address i gave them is NOT the one i am at now. how can i ask for am email? what should i do? i'm an int'l btw
Send them an email explaining the position and asking them to email you when a decision has been made.
Best of wishes to everyone still waiting for news :smile:

Original post by Minerva
x

Yo,

I forgot to say thanks for all the help you've been giving the applicants. Greatly appreciated :h: