The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4220
Original post by 777edr777
I totally agree...my friend just found an interview request in his inbox...congrats to him, but this is honestly driving me insane...haven't been able to revise at all :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

for history? what college was he?
Reply 4221
Original post by WJRA
I would argue against this actually. Only one person per subject per college can be marked as "B" so its incredibly unlikely we all have this status. Also (minerva can shoot me down at a later date if necessary) all decisions have been finalised since Saturday apart from re-interviewed applicants and those marked as "B" status so tutors are no longer looking over applications. Instead it seems far more likely that the reason we haven't heard is nothing more complicated than the fact that colleges are slow at returning the decisions.
Correct :smile:

Original post by Ivo
I think the 'A' is only used by our preference college during the pooling period. This gives them a chance to hold on to you whilst they look at others in the pool. The preference college must then decide if they want to turn any of their 'A's to an 'O' or 'I'. So basically, at the end of the pooling process (4 Jan), an applicant should either be marked as 'O', 'I' or 'B'. Anyone unmarked is subsequently rejected. That's my interpretation anyway.
Again, correct :smile:
Sorry if this was answered elsewhere in the thread, but theoretically speaking, would the news be more likely to come after the reinterviews?
Reply 4223
Original post by nearlymaddad
I’m the dad of a guy who was placed in the pool last Friday, and has been fished out with an offer recently. I wanted to make my one post on TSR a thank you to all those who have kept him (and me) just about sane since last week, and I guarantee that I’ve read every post in this thread since it started. I’ve rejoiced with everyone who’s had offers, winced with every post informing us of rejection, and kept the knot in my gut for all those who are still waiting to hear.

To all of you, if you ever have a question in job interviews in the next 20 years “Have you ever had a stressful situation in life, and what did you do/how did you cope?” I’m sure that being pooled, no matter what the eventual outcome, would provide you with a good answer to this question and convince the interviewer that you’re worthy of the job!

I’m not saying any more about which College etc, as he’s already posted the info on here, and I don’t want the “oh b****y h**l dad, you’re embarrassing!” But thanks to you all, and especially Miranda, for helping us to keep the faith. Remember, wherever you are, your university years are what you make them. I wasn’t at Oxbridge, and I still keep in touch with friends I made at university many years ago. So, whichever University you end up at, I wish you intellectual satisfaction, a fun time, and fond memories.
Miranda??? Who she :tongue:

Thanks for posting - exactly right - this experience is an excellent example to use for the interview question about handling stressful situations! For one thing, the reason that it is so exquisitely stressful if because you have no control whatsoever over your situation: there's nothing you can do to advance your cause, and the outcome is entirely in someone else's gift.

What this experience is also "good" for is learning to handle setbacks gracefully, an essential life skill which those who don't come against such things until much later in their careers find it really difficult to acquire.
Reply 4224
Original post by nearlymaddad
I have to apologise to Minerva as in my post above, I referred to her as Miranda. Profuse apologies, Ma'am. My brain has atrophied since Friday, and I'm only a spectator!
Forgiven.... :biggrin:
Original post by mp1995
Anyone have any experience with phone interviews?? I have one after tomorrow for Trinity, don't know what to expect...

I have! It was for a job but key things are:

•Answer the phone 'formally' and always speak well (that your first impression)
Have a drink for if your mouth goes dry (not in a bottle)
•Have paper and pen to jot ideas or questions
•Get in a comfy seat in a quiet room away from any siblings or noise
•Make sure you hear everything! It sounds stupid but you can begin to not pay so much attention when there is no-one to look at. (might just be me-I have attention span issues haha)

Hope this helps and let me know how it goes :smile:

Also phone interview is probably a good sign, it *could* be less informal and more general, l can't really picture a heated interrogation happening through phone, but nevertheless be prepared for all :smile: best of luck! Which course is it?
Reply 4226
Original post by Rhiannonymous
Oh........I could have sworn I clicked it XD as I'm fairly new to this, if you -1 a comment, can you +1 it at a later time? If so, will it cancel out your -1? Bit of a silly question I know....
Once you've repped a post you can't reverse it or rep it again.

Original post by chickenonsteroids
Yo,

I forgot to say thanks for all the help you've been giving the applicants. Greatly appreciated :h:
My pleasure :smile:

Original post by WhiteHouses
Sorry if this was answered elsewhere in the thread, but theoretically speaking, would the news be more likely to come after the reinterviews?
Not necessarily.
Original post by Rhiannonymous
Murray Edwards......I'm guessing you chose Philosophy as your subject judging by your username? :P

Haha actually no I applied for Law at Magdalene :tongue: Though I did take Philosophy A Level :wink:
Reply 4228
Minerva, I received two sheets for winter pool.
One saying that I have from 5 of jan to 10 of jan to get an offer.
Is tomorrow the last day or today?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4229
Original post by Abutlerrush
Hello fellow english poolee's. Feel the water draining out of the pool

Original post by NellyClark
Hey! :smile: what college did you apply to??

Original post by HBAD
I mean there's no point despairing until the 14th- if that's the date they give, there's always a chance, however slight, that a college may give you an offer.
I feel like English departments must be disorganised with all their books, folders and papers floating around...

Fellow English applicants, thought you might like this poem!

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/browse/117/1#!/20594878/0 - thought it kind of describes this whole application business nicely :biggrin:.

Hope we all get places tomorrow, but hey - if the rejections come then it won't ruin our lives!
Reply 4230
Original post by charlieao
I have! It was for a job but key things are:

•Answer the phone 'formally' and always speak well (that your first impression)
Have a drink for if your mouth goes dry (not in a bottle)
•Have paper and pen to jot ideas or questions
•Get in a comfy seat in a quiet room away from any siblings or noise
•Make sure you hear everything! It sounds stupid but you can begin to not pay so much attention when there is no-one to look at. (might just be me-I have attention span issues haha)

Hope this helps and let me know how it goes :smile:

Also phone interview is probably a good sign, it *could* be less informal and more general, l can't really picture a heated interrogation happening through phone, but nevertheless be prepared for all :smile: best of luck! Which course is it?

Thank you so so much, that has really helped!! Land Economy, I was pooled from St Catz and fished for a phone re-interview by Trinity since I'm an EU applicant!
Reply 4231
Original post by oxymoronic
If you meet certain academic conditions, you can find about them here: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/winterpoolofficers2013.pdf

For A levels if you have a UMS average of 93%+ from your best 3 AS levels then you'll be autopooled, unless you're applying for maths or medicine, and the sciences also just look at science A levels rather than simply the best 3 I believe.

If someone was achieving close to 100% in their maths and further maths modules and another subject would they have a high chance of getting pooled?
Original post by Sarr
Fellow English applicants, thought you might like this poem!

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/browse/117/1#!/20594878/0 - thought it kind of describes this whole application business nicely :biggrin:.

Hope we all get places tomorrow, but hey - if the rejections come then it won't ruin our lives!

Thank you so much for the poem, always wonderful to have something recommended to you. 'Its all right:/ Its been taken care of' especially rings true.

Here's to our magnificent discipline, wherever we study it.
Have my fellow St. Catz Law poolmates received any offers from the other colleges yet? :smile:

So if we don't hear by the 14th, does that mean we have been rejected? How will we international applicants be informed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamil78613
Are there any medics out there that don't mind posting up there stats? I just want to compare my chances. I am pretty sure that I'll be receiving a rejection sooner rather than later, but I'd rather be content (for now) with believing that there is still a chance (even if remote) that I'll be fished. Cheers.

One from Sg here, pooled by emma.
Bmat: 5.3 6.6 5A
:frown:

What about your stats?
Reply 4235
This entire procedure is getting boring. I feel like being abandoned. It seems my preference college just left me in this terrible situation and went away. Why did I even apply to that college at first? :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4236
Hello guys, i applied for math with physics in queens'
Now i get pool, and check email for every 15 minutes.:frown:
Good luck
has anyone from Peterhouse heard anything yet??
Reply 4238
Original post by AlexandraSophia
Have my fellow St. Catz Law poolmates received any offers from the other colleges yet? :smile:

So if we don't hear by the 14th, does that mean we have been rejected? How will we international applicants be informed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you haven't heard anything by the 14th a rejection is more likely, but an offer just might happen- said Minerva.
i think you should email your college and ask them to email you, that what i've done. they emailed me my pooling letter after i asked them to, so i think you can ask for that.
Original post by joyie
If you haven't heard anything by the 14th a rejection is more likely, but an offer just might happen- said Minerva.
i think you should email your college and ask them to email you, that what i've done. they emailed me my pooling letter after i asked them to, so i think you can ask for that.

Yup I do have my pooling email. But I have yet to find out whether another college has fished me out or not. So I was wondering when we international applicants would be notified.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending