The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4280
Original post by MA77
Just drowned - St John's for BioNatSci. Good luck if you're still swimming :smile:

I applied for St john as well. How did they tell you that? Email or letter? :frown: i think I'm next.
Reply 4281
Original post by Zhy
Queens sent a letter this morning, I've been rejected for Maths.

Ouch. That is surprising, especially given your 18-modules-in-one-year. Sorry to hear that, though at least you have some great alternative offers - unconditional FTW!

Do you mind divulging your individual module marks? I'm especially interested in the higher mechanics and further pure modules.

It seems like every year there are one or two 'dead certs' for Maths that don't make an offer.

I have a half-baked theory that possibly some people who do a lot of self-directed study in Year 12 don't develop the ability to articulate what they're doing, which of course is something they need to draw on in the interview. Cambridge may conclude that you're fantastically bright, and a good mathematician, but that you'll actually prefer the more independent style at other Unis to the tutorial system.

Certainly going by the evidence, you have every prospect of doing really well no matter where you go. Good luck!
Reply 4282
Original post by hurling!!!
Any news from Peterhouse? I know they're small but it seems very quiet on offers/rejections.

If you do get a pool offer from Peterhouse, i believe they'll call. I was an international and they called!

All the best :smile:
Reply 4283
Original post by soempty
E-mailed my preference college two days ago and did not get any reply yet. Could it be a sign that my application is still being considered? Could my original college take me at that stage?

Perhaps. I'm in the same position at the moment, and i like to think that the colleges are fighting over me :colondollar:. But, i emailed my college, sewlyn and they said if i hadn't recieved an offer yet, it would be unlikely that i was accepted.
Is it mostly medics left?
Reply 4285
Original post by Stray
Ouch. That is surprising, especially given your 18-modules-in-one-year. Sorry to hear that, though at least you have some great alternative offers - unconditional FTW!

Do you mind divulging your individual module marks? I'm especially interested in the higher mechanics and further pure modules.

It seems like every year there are one or two 'dead certs' for Maths that don't make an offer.

I have a half-baked theory that possibly some people who do a lot of self-directed study in Year 12 don't develop the ability to articulate what they're doing, which of course is something they need to draw on in the interview. Cambridge may conclude that you're fantastically bright, and a good mathematician, but that you'll actually prefer the more independent style at other Unis to the tutorial system.

Certainly going by the evidence, you have every prospect of doing really well no matter where you go. Good luck!

I'll send you them in a PM; I can't remember them all so I've got to go get my results sheet.

Yeah unconditionals are pretty good :smile: But now I feel like I don't have to work that hard... do you think I should still sit STEP? Because, otherwise I am going to have something silly like 1 or 2 exams in June!

I thought I did quite well at interview though... and they seemed pleased with my answers. Don't know what went wrong :frown:

Thank you!
Reply 4286
Churchill:

Your application was sent to the Winter Pool and the final outcome of
that process has not yet been decided. Further meetings take place this
week and next so unfortunately I am not in a position to update you on
the status of your application at this time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medicdude

medic here, pooled by robinson, still waiting to hear back.
Reply 4288
I am also medic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4289
Any St John?!
Reply 4290
have any pooled jesus english applicants heard anything AT ALL?
Watchful parent here over the last week whilst seeing my son pooled, then fished pending interview tomorrow at Robinson.

Many thanks to Minerva for all the help and insight provided.

I agree with many others on here that you, the students, are showing many admirable qualities on this board and really do deserve better than to be left hanging for so long. It is a hell of a way to treat some of the country's best young talent!

Many years ago now I ended up going to uni by accident when the plum Merchant Navy cadetship I had lined up fell through so late on all other jobs in that years round had gone, so late that I had already started the innoculation programme! What seemed like a disaster at the time (I barely remember details now) set me off in a different direction including uni and other subsequent opportunities that I never planned on.

Good luck to all those still waiting, but when for some the inevitable rejection comes just try to move on asap, concentrate on those exams and the other opportunities available to you all - you ALL have it in you to succeed wherever you go and being still in the game at this stage does mean you are Cambridge quality but for whatever reason just missed out on the cut. You will get over it and move on, whatever the short term pain.

Best wishes to all.
Medic here
Has any medic had a rejection from the pool yet? Without interview.

My original college seems to have sent out rejections, and I haven't had one yet...
(edited 11 years ago)
On my way to my interview, thanks for all the help, last chance now. Wish me luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by medicdude

And Emma fishes.
Emma medic fish here! Still nothing :frown: are the medics not hearing for a while?
Reply 4297
Original post by Zhy
I'll send you them in a PM; I can't remember them all so I've got to go get my results sheet.

Yeah unconditionals are pretty good :smile: But now I feel like I don't have to work that hard... do you think I should still sit STEP? Because, otherwise I am going to have something silly like 1 or 2 exams in June!

I thought I did quite well at interview though... and they seemed pleased with my answers. Don't know what went wrong :frown:

Thank you!

Do you mind telling me as well? I am a fellow maths poolee still waiting to hear!

Would you reconsider reapplying ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by MissMedic
Emma medic fish here! Still nothing :frown: are the medics not hearing for a while?

It doesn't seem that any medics have heard about rejections... and judging by last year's thread won't for a while.
Reply 4299
Original post by Zhy
But now I feel like I don't have to work that hard... do you think I should still sit STEP?

I know I just PM'd you this, but for the benefit of anyone else wondering the same, I think yes, you should still sit STEP. For 3 reasons:

1) You'll become a better mathematician, and where ever you go you'll get more from the course if you have a deeper understanding on day 1.

2) You might, just might, nail an SS and then you can either be certain that Cambridge made the wrong decision, or you can think about reapplying if you still feel discontented with your plans.

3) If you are anything like me, doing hard maths makes you feel better.

Latest

Trending

Trending