The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Enhanced Standard vs Standard with washbasin

Hi all,

Starting at Bath in 2013. On a gap year so definitely going, offer accepted etc. Just wondering if the enhanced standards (Westwood & Norwood) are worth the extra money over the refurbished Eastwood rooms with washbasins.

Thanks
Norwood is lovely! The only thing is that in either Westwood or Eastwood you might end up at the top of five flights of stairs, whereas Norwood has lifts!

I'm in Norwood, we have an enormous kitchen, and our rooms have nice big windows, which I love.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Norwood is lovely! The only thing is that in either Westwood or Eastwood you might end up at the top of five flights of stairs, whereas Norwood has lifts!

I'm in Norwood, we have an enormous kitchen, and our rooms have nice big windows, which I love.

Thanks for the reply. Norwood it is then. You seem to love it plus it's the most recently refurbished block. I read somewhere that Norwood rooms are slightly bigger than the rest. Is that true?
Original post by Engr007
Thanks for the reply. Norwood it is then. You seem to love it plus it's the most recently refurbished block. I read somewhere that Norwood rooms are slightly bigger than the rest. Is that true?

I think it is true, my friends in other accommodations are always surprised, and those whose rooms I've been in definitely have rooms that feel smaller.
Reply 4
I think it is true, my friends in other accommodations are always surprised, and those whose rooms I've been in definitely have rooms that feel smaller.

Cool!! Thanks for the help :smile:
I got a washbasin, seriously it was a waste of money. There's no point paying £10 week (£380 a year) extra for a sink in your room when the bathroom has one. I though that i'd get one and I'd use it all the time and ended up never using it apart from washing my shoes in. Save the money for nights out.
Original post by 3 Phase Duck
I got a washbasin, seriously it was a waste of money. There's no point paying £10 week (£380 a year) extra for a sink in your room when the bathroom has one. I though that i'd get one and I'd use it all the time and ended up never using it apart from washing my shoes in. Save the money for nights out.

I like it, and it's not just the washbasin that you pay extra for, really, the only ones without washbasin are in Eastwood with no cleaning service according to this http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/accommodation/types/campus/
I like it, and it's not just the washbasin that you pay extra for, really, the only ones without washbasin are in Eastwood with no cleaning service according to this http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/accommodation/types/campus/

Osborne house had rooms with and without washbasin. And if I remember correctly it was either westwood or norwood that also had rooms without. Although looking at this, the prices have went up.
Reply 8

Lol. I'm not fussed about the washbasins really. Its more about the size of the rooms and what they look like generally. I was drawn to Norwood because it's been done up recently and I've seen a few pictures from different angles but I haven't seen pictures of the Eastwood rooms with washbasins yet. Plus it all depends on what's available when I apply.
Osborne house had rooms with and without washbasin. And if I remember correctly it was either westwood or norwood that also had rooms without. Although looking at this, the prices have went up.

They've both been refurbished recently, now both are all-washbasin. The Norwood rooms are bigger, though, and smaller kitchen groups with bigger kitchens.
Reply 10
I'm in Westwood, although from the outside and how close Norwood is to the SU (it's literally ontop of the bar... must get quite noisy on Wednesday/Saturday nights, although I'd guess only the bottom floor?) I was never that attracted to it, however! The rooms are bigger from looking at the pictures, Westwood rooms are very small. If you're wondering Norwood/Westwood over Eastwood, go for it, since Eastwood doesn't get cleaning services and you don't get a sink also. Not -that- useful, but still useful enough.
I'm on the bottom floor of Norwood and it's fine, but with the proviso that I've always been able to sleep through anything :tongue: In fact being on the lower floors can be an advantage after fire alarms (a couple of times a term some drunk thinks it's a good idea to hit the alarm on their way out of Fuzzy Ducks...) because the lift always gets overloaded :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by croag
I'm in Westwood, although from the outside and how close Norwood is to the SU (it's literally ontop of the bar... must get quite noisy on Wednesday/Saturday nights, although I'd guess only the bottom floor?) I was never that attracted to it, however! The rooms are bigger from looking at the pictures, Westwood rooms are very small. If you're wondering Norwood/Westwood over Eastwood, go for it, since Eastwood doesn't get cleaning services and you don't get a sink also. Not -that- useful, but still useful enough.

I've been in Derhill (Westwood), which wasn't too bad. My only problem with Westwood is the fact that the rooms differ from block to block & you can't tell what you're going to end up with. How does Westwood/Norwood compare to Eastwood generally?
Reply 13
I'm on the bottom floor of Norwood and it's fine, but with the proviso that I've always been able to sleep through anything :tongue: In fact being on the lower floors can be an advantage after fire alarms (a couple of times a term some drunk thinks it's a good idea to hit the alarm on their way out of Fuzzy Ducks...) because the lift always gets overloaded :wink:

How bad is the noise on the bottom floor of Norwood? Is it quite obvious when you're awake?
Original post by Engr007
How bad is the noise on the bottom floor of Norwood? Is it quite obvious when you're awake?

I don't find it annoying, but I don't try to work on Wednesday or Saturday nights, lol. It's really fine.
Reply 15
If you can go for norwood and not westwood for a number of reasons:

We live just above the students union bar and nightclub and small supermarket. Residence is floors 5 to 9. Floor 4 is a massive common room which also has another room where the washing and drying machines are. There's a flat screen tv suspended on a wall with loungers which means it really sick, either for watching tv or pre drinking with the other 110 people in Norwood xD

Nightclub and bar are level 3, which basically means the bar is kinda like your lounge. You can pop down for a pint, play snooker or watch the sports games. As lounges go, that's pretty darn sweet!

The whole students union is based on levels 2 and 3, which is really convenient if you need to do stuff that concerns them. There's also a starbucks, costa coffee, shakeaway and 2 eateries which have pretty good deals on floor 2. On top of that, there's an offshoot of the campus supermarket on level 2, which means you don't have to leave the building to go get small things like milk or bread or cereal or whatever. And the prices are the same as the proper supermarket on campus and perhaps slightly more expensive than a sainsbury's. I go down and buy my milk in my slippers sometimes :tongue:

Also, if you're lucky, you'll get two things. You'll get a north east facing room, in which case your room is massive (the south west facing rooms are still really big, bigger than westwood). You'll also be put on level 5 whose residents get free tickets to the wednesday and saturday nightclub events, every week. That saves them 10 quid a week. They get it because its really close to the nightclub, but apparently the noise isn't bad enough to keep you awake if you decide not to go partying.

Oh, and you're literally above the campus so it takes you literally a minute to walk to the furthest lecture halls, and you're right next to the 24/7 library and everything else that happens at uni.

At Norwood, your first year will not be dull!
Just to confirm what Fooldimis said - Level 5 do get free club night tickets (though tbh I don't really use mine) and the noise isn't too bad.

My room is east facing - 7 of the 9 rooms in my flat are.

Some people get offered slightly bigger rooms with en suite loos (not showers) - I don't know how much more expensive they are, though.

And as an addition, I can get to my department building without going outside :biggrin: Very convenient for hand-ins etc.
Reply 17
Original post by Fooldimis
If you can go for norwood and not westwood for a number of reasons:

We live just above the students union bar and nightclub and small supermarket. Residence is floors 5 to 9. Floor 4 is a massive common room which also has another room where the washing and drying machines are. There's a flat screen tv suspended on a wall with loungers which means it really sick, either for watching tv or pre drinking with the other 110 people in Norwood xD

Nightclub and bar are level 3, which basically means the bar is kinda like your lounge. You can pop down for a pint, play snooker or watch the sports games. As lounges go, that's pretty darn sweet!

The whole students union is based on levels 2 and 3, which is really convenient if you need to do stuff that concerns them. There's also a starbucks, costa coffee, shakeaway and 2 eateries which have pretty good deals on floor 2. On top of that, there's an offshoot of the campus supermarket on level 2, which means you don't have to leave the building to go get small things like milk or bread or cereal or whatever. And the prices are the same as the proper supermarket on campus and perhaps slightly more expensive than a sainsbury's. I go down and buy my milk in my slippers sometimes :tongue:

Also, if you're lucky, you'll get two things. You'll get a north east facing room, in which case your room is massive (the south west facing rooms are still really big, bigger than westwood). You'll also be put on level 5 whose residents get free tickets to the wednesday and saturday nightclub events, every week. That saves them 10 quid a week. They get it because its really close to the nightclub, but apparently the noise isn't bad enough to keep you awake if you decide not to go partying.

Oh, and you're literally above the campus so it takes you literally a minute to walk to the furthest lecture halls, and you're right next to the 24/7 library and everything else that happens at uni.

At Norwood, your first year will not be dull!

Thanks for the detailed description of Norwood. It sounds sick!! :biggrin:. The common room, bar, being able to get some cereal in my slippers and like RibenaRockstar said, possibly going to my department building without going outside :yeah:

Quick Reply

Latest