The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wouldn't be averse to seeing Lampard at United. He's 34 years old, Scholes and Giggs are 38 and 39 respectively? I still think Lampard can perform very well at the highest level for at least the next two years. No/little transfer fee, obviously be a sizeable wage. Lampard is like the Jessica Ennis of the football world, widely admired as a footballer and a genuinely nice human being, disliked by very very few really.

Rather not see Ashley Cole here. Like to see more of Buttner really.

Looking into seeing some reserves games this year. Are they still playing at Altrincham, looked on the website but there appears to be no fixtures for this year yet??

Saw United vs Wigan a few weeks back at the DW. Third time in 4 seasons I've watched United at Wigan. 4-0, 5-0 and 4-0. Just hope Wigan don't go down, cheap to watch Wigan at their place, ticket was only £28. And most often 6 points a season.
Reply 461
Original post by white_haired_wizard

Looking into seeing some reserves games this year. Are they still playing at Altrincham, looked on the website but there appears to be no fixtures for this year yet??.

The U21s got through to the elite stage (the whole format is very weird) and play their first game in it v West Ham, i think it's on Monday. Website is pretty crap last time i checked and didn't show much, if anything. The whole United website is a tip compared to other teams tbh. I'm sure there will be a list of fixtures on redcafe
Reply 462
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2260015/Fernando-Torres-jeered-Chelsea-fans-time.html

pretty interesting table at the bottom of the article, had a quick glance, our strikers have the best goals/minutes played ratio in the premier league other than edin dzeko.
Reply 463
Original post by Brainiac
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2260015/Fernando-Torres-jeered-Chelsea-fans-time.html

pretty interesting table at the bottom of the article, had a quick glance, our strikers have the best goals/minutes played ratio in the premier league other than edin dzeko.

Why isn't Michu on that list?
Original post by Akkuz
Why isn't Michu on that list?

He'd be just off it as it seems to be on goals scored rather than anything else and Michu has 13.
Reply 465
Definitely do not want Lampard. All he offers really is goals from midfield, and they're usually penalties which he won't have at United. We aren't exactly struggling for goals? Can't see how he would improve the first 11 in any way. He's become a bit of a passenger at Chelsea, so wouldn't really be any good for us. No real defensive qualities anymore, unlike Cleverley who's improving in that aspect of his game all the time.

Much rather see a younger CM with more bite and pace arrive. Lampard is just Scholes now but with inferior passing quality. The more stronger and faster midfielders would just run past him for fun. The Spurs loss clearly shows that Lampard isn't the answer, and infact the direct opposite. Dembele/Sandro were going round Scholes with ease.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DH1'
Definitely do not want Lampard. All he offers really is goals from midfield, and they're usually penalties which he won't have at United. We aren't exactly struggling for goals? Can't see how he would improve the first 11 in any way. He's become a bit of a passenger at Chelsea, so wouldn't really be any good for us. No real defensive qualities anymore, unlike Cleverley who's improving in that aspect of his game all the time.

Much rather see a younger CM with more bite and pace arrive. Lampard is just Scholes now but with inferior passing quality. The more stronger and faster midfielders would just run past him for fun. The Spurs loss clearly shows that Lampard isn't the answer, and infact the direct opposite.

Not really. Although I'm not going to deny scholes is a better passer. He's not a passenger at chelsea. Although tbh I'd only get lampard if one of scholes and giggs leave. Anyway I can see lampard at juventus anyway.
Reply 467
Original post by jam277
Not really. Although I'm not going to deny scholes is a better passer. He's not a passenger at chelsea. Although tbh I'd only get lampard if one of scholes and giggs leave. Anyway I can see lampard at juventus anyway.

Well he's not in your 1st choice 11 anymore is he? I know he's obviously a fans favourite/chelsea legend, but i don't think he can cut it anymore at a top 4 club. I believe the points i've made about his game these days are all valid, and can't see why would need him even if Scholes/Giggs retire.
Original post by DH1'
Well he's not in your 1st choice 11 anymore is he? I know he's obviously a fans favourite/chelsea legend, but i don't think he can cut it anymore at a top 4 club. I believe the points i've made about his game these days are all valid, and can't see why would need him even if Scholes/Giggs retire.

You don't watch much chelsea I presume. He got injured for 2 months and came back from the injury 3 weeks ago. He's very much in the first choice 11 when fully fit and tbh he's better than having ramires in midfield. Just because he's old doesn't mean he can't cut it.

The same thing was said about pirlo 2 seasons ago about him being past it and juve didn't want him and we all know what happened then.

He would be useful in united, experience, passing ability, finishing ability(although with RVP and Rooney you don't need him) Guy is our best midfielder in the deep role. I'm not even being biased because of what he's done, He can pick out a pass, make late runs into the box for goals and take a shot from far. He's good at keeping the ball as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 470
Reply 471
Original post by jam277
You don't watch much chelsea I presume. He got injured for 2 months and came back from the injury 3 weeks ago. He's very much in the first choice 11 when fully fit and tbh he's better than having ramires in midfield. Just because he's old doesn't mean he can't cut it.

The same thing was said about pirlo 2 seasons ago about him being past it and juve didn't want him and we all know what happened then.

He would be useful in united, experience, passing ability, finishing ability(although with RVP and Rooney you don't need him) Guy is our best midfielder in the deep role. I'm not even being biased because of what he's done, He can pick out a pass, make late runs into the box for goals and take a shot from far. He's good at keeping the ball as well.

I'm sorry but if you think Lampard's your best midfielder then you definitely have problems in that department. From watching Chelsea lately, it's clearly Luiz(Or Mikel when he's back). Says a lot that a CB is probably your best midfielder too. I think he's much more important in defence though, because Ivanovic and Cahill, quite frankly are a disaster. Chelsea have kept more CS's with Luiz at CB this season so you really miss him there. Anyway, going back to Lampard.. Apart from the Everton game, Lampard's season has just consisted of 2 pens and goals @ home against Norwich/Aston Villa.

Some stats which i found from Opta about your deep lying midfielders this season:

Passing Accuracy: Mikel - 90%, Romeu - 89%, Ramires - 85%, Lampard - 81%.
Passing Accuracy in the Final Third: Romeu - 92%, Ramires - 89%, Mikel - 84%, Lampard - 70%
Minutes per successful aerial duel: Romeu - 41, Ramires - 60, Mikel - 70, Lampard - 325
Minutes per successful tackle: Ramires - 29, Mikel - 46, Romeu - 49, Lampard - 72.
Minutes per successful interception: Romeu - 31, Mikel - 49, Ramires - 63, Lampard - 72.
Minutes per recovered ball: Mikel - 12, Romeu - 18, Ramires - 19, Lampard - 20.
Minutes per defensive clearance: Ramires - 49, Mikel - 55, Romeu - 61, Lampard - 81.

Best midfielder in the deep role? Yeah right :lol:

Carrick's passing ability is superior to Lampards'. We don't need him for his finishing, he would honestly have no major role at all in the first 11. With all due respect, Pirlo is playing in a league where the tempo is less, he would probably find it more tricky in the Prem right now. Lampard could do well their but again, he wouldn't displace any of Juve's current midfielders. I have watched alot of Chelsea this season, and Lampard has rarely started in the big games. An immobile/ageing midfielder like him is not what we need.
(edited 11 years ago)

I lost brain cells just reading that.
Reply 473
Guys Bebe scores a great winner on his debut for the loan deal for Rio Ave (Portuguese 1st league), he could make it only 22 or atleast get us the money we paid for him back.

[video="youtube_share;EMC4SgcLx7Q"]http://youtu.be/EMC4SgcLx7Q[/video]
Reply 474

I mean, I've been on rawk a lot, but this HAS to be a wind up surely?

What did I just read? :lol:
Original post by rohitbd
Guys Bebe scores a great winner on his debut for the loan deal for Rio Ave (Portuguese 1st league), he could make it only 22 or atleast get us the money we paid for him back.

[video="youtube_share;EMC4SgcLx7Q"]http://youtu.be/EMC4SgcLx7Q[/video]

Strange guy that Bebe. :holmes:
Original post by Tommyjw
I mean, I've been on rawk a lot, but this HAS to be a wind up surely?

****ing hope so.

"Bobby Charlton was equivalent of Steven Ireland now"

I didn't think he was anything more than your average Twitter moron before I read that one.
Not the most ridiculous one on there but

Team of the season so far: Begovic Agger,Bassong,Skrtl Allen Diame Gerrard Ruiz Sterling Berbatov Suarez

Quite a few Pool players in there :tongue:

My favourite was Suarez being a good as Messi when it comes to dribbling, especially when Messi's best asset is often considered to be his dribble.

I remember when we played Barca and I think it was 3 or 4 United players tried to tackle him at once everyone ended up on the floor, just as the ref blew Messi jumped out still with the ball. That was just ridiculous.
Original post by DH1'
I'm sorry but if you think Lampard's your best midfielder then you definitely have problems in that department. From watching Chelsea lately, it's clearly Luiz(Or Mikel when he's back). Says a lot that a CB is probably your best midfielder too. I think he's much more important in defence though, because Ivanovic and Cahill, quite frankly are a disaster. Chelsea have kept more CS's with Luiz at CB this season so you really miss him there. Anyway, going back to Lampard.. Apart from the Everton game, Lampard's season has just consisted of 2 pens and goals @ home against Norwich/Aston Villa.

Some stats which i found from Opta about your deep lying midfielders this season:

Passing Accuracy: Mikel - 90%, Romeu - 89%, Ramires - 85%, Lampard - 81%.
Passing Accuracy in the Final Third: Romeu - 92%, Ramires - 89%, Mikel - 84%, Lampard - 70%
Minutes per successful aerial duel: Romeu - 41, Ramires - 60, Mikel - 70, Lampard - 325
Minutes per successful tackle: Ramires - 29, Mikel - 46, Romeu - 49, Lampard - 72.
Minutes per successful interception: Romeu - 31, Mikel - 49, Ramires - 63, Lampard - 72.
Minutes per recovered ball: Mikel - 12, Romeu - 18, Ramires - 19, Lampard - 20.
Minutes per defensive clearance: Ramires - 49, Mikel - 55, Romeu - 61, Lampard - 81.

Best midfielder in the deep role? Yeah right :lol:

Carrick's passing ability is superior to Lampards'. We don't need him for his finishing, he would honestly have no major role at all in the first 11. With all due respect, Pirlo is playing in a league where the tempo is less, he would probably find it more tricky in the Prem right now. Lampard could do well their but again, he wouldn't displace any of Juve's current midfielders. I have watched alot of Chelsea this season, and Lampard has rarely started in the big games. An immobile/ageing midfielder like him is not what we need.

Those stats are pretty irrelevant. Mikel isn't a deep lying playmaker, he's more of an anchorman/DM, he doesn't make any splitting through balls at all, he tackles and passes to the player next to him or backwards. Lampard is the most ambitious passer out of the lot, so it's going to be harder for him to get those stats.

Luiz has been good at DM, but tbh he always had the qualities to play as a DM so it doesn't say much, it's like saying mascherano is one of the best CBs at barca when he was a DM before, does that mean that puyol and pique are crap because he was playing as good as them last season? :holmes:

Did you read what I said before. Lampard hasn't started in the big games because he was injured since before the arsenal game.(our second big game after the 2-2 juve) and since then we played all our big games during the time he was injured.

You're being unfair on lampard seeing as he plays different to all the aforementioned midfielders. Stats like that will show torres to be good as well because he doesn't take many shots on goal but has got a decent goal tally. I'd also like to add(bar romeu) that the other players have had much more game time than lampard and more time to improve their stats.

Latest