The Student Room Group

As Biology Unit1 9th Jan 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by jonny8
I honestly didnt think it was too bad.. some tricky questions but overall not bad.. how about you?

Yeah I thought it wasn't too bad either.
I was disappointed that none of the atherosclerosis or blood clotting questions came up. I could have got easy 5 or so marks from them. I'm sure we all revised those bits thoroughly. :angry:
Reply 41
Original post by razia
Yeah I thought it wasn't too bad either.
I was disappointed that none of the atherosclerosis or blood clotting questions came up. I could have got easy 5 or so marks from them. I'm sure we all revised those bits thoroughly. :angry:

couldnt agree with you anymore! but i guess none of the questions were ridculously hard.. what did you put for the very last question.. the gene therapy one?
Reply 42
Original post by jonny8
couldnt agree with you anymore! but i guess none of the questions were ridculously hard.. what did you put for the very last question.. the gene therapy one?

That one was quite nice.
"Use normal, healthy alleles coding for enzyme that breaks down lipids. Insert alleles into target cells in the brain using a vector eg. virus or liposome, using a nebuliser or injection. Alleles incorporate into the DNA molecule. Normal protein is made. Gene therapy needs to be repeated due to cell replacement"
Original post by razia
That one was quite nice.
"Use normal, healthy alleles coding for enzyme that breaks down lipids. Insert alleles into target cells in the brain using a vector eg. virus or liposome, using a nebuliser or injection. Alleles incorporate into the DNA molecule. Normal protein is made. Gene therapy needs to be repeated due to cell replacement"

I wrote that it should be injected in the spinal cord because that will make more sense since it has a direct and easy route to the brain.
Reply 44
What's a SNAB ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by nukethemaly
I wrote that it should be injected in the spinal cord because that will make more sense since it has a direct and easy route to the brain.

well i wrote both. just to be on the safe side.
Reply 46
Original post by mary05
What's a SNAB ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

SNAB is another edexcel Biology exam. It stands for Salters-Nuffield Advanced Biology.
Here's a website http://www.newsnab.com/
Reply 47
The exam was fine just didnt like the tRNA question :/
Reply 48
Original post by LeJoshing
Isn't this a CCEA thread? I'm getting worried because I don't remember any of the questions you guys are talking about. Plus most of the stuff that's being mentioned here isn't on the CCEA AS syllabus

Hi, I thought this was the ccea thread too. What did you think of the exam?
Original post by SuzySheep
Hi, I thought this was the ccea thread too. What did you think of the exam?

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that! There is a CCEA tag beside the thread just before you click on. I was pleasantly surprised, just hoping I didn't make any silly mistakes, as I used up the whole 1hr30, literally writing my last bit on bacteria while the examiner said "Stooopppppp cooooookinggg!" Well she didn't quite say it like that.

Initially the essay looked tough, but realising it was just HIV and Bacteriophage comparison followed by animal and bacteria comparison was a sigh of relief.

Bodily cavity fluid accumulation threw me off guard, might have wrote something completely irrelevant. Glad it was one mark though.

Ileum question seemed straight forward but the question asked "Label the cells", when only 2 labels were pointing to cells (Goblet and Columnar Epithelium) while one was pointing to microvilli and the other a nucleus.

Wish I could look at the answers I put down! How'd you find it?
Reply 50
The Q on give 2 similarities & differences of a trigylceride & polysaccharide throw me! I wrote a pile of nonsense. I hope I've done enough to pass. I was very nervous & I did some really silly mistakes. Yes, I was relieved at the essay Q too.
<br />
Reply 51
I never even noticed it said "label the cells" I wrote the same as you but :smile:
The Q on give 2 similarities & differences of a trigylceride & polysaccharide throw me! I wrote a pile of nonsense. I hope I've done enough to pass. I was very nervous & I did some really silly mistakes. Yes, I was relieved at the essay Q too.
<br />

That one caught me off guard as well, 4 marks to boot! For similarities I put something like "Both contain C, H and O, as well as both being products of condensation reactions" and for differences "Tri have ester bonds, while poly have glycosidic and Tri are macromolecules while polysaccharides are polymers". Hope those are correct. I really strained for that last point there lol what'd you put?

If you haven't done so before, I'd recommend checking out the non-revised past papers alongside the revised ones on the CCEA website, I used them and feel they upped my knowledge slightly. There are the odd questions that are irrelevant for AS as they've been moved to A2 so you can skip those ones, but the other questions are great.
Reply 53
I did the ccea exam aswell. It was alright i couldn't think of anything for the prose and wrote absolutely rubbish points and the cavity one was a bit hard aswell but overall ok
Reply 54
That one caught me off guard as well, 4 marks to boot! For similarities I put something like "Both contain C, H and O, as well as both being products of condensation reactions" and for differences "Tri have ester bonds, while poly have glycosidic and Tri are macromolecules while polysaccharides are polymers". Hope those are correct. I really strained for that last point there lol what'd you put?

If you haven't done so before, I'd recommend checking out the non-revised past papers alongside the revised ones on the CCEA website, I used them and feel they upped my knowledge slightly. There are the odd questions that are irrelevant for AS as they've been moved to A2 so you can skip those ones, but the other questions are great.

Thanks for the tip. I wrote the same diff as you but for the similarities I wrote they both were used for energy storage and i can't rem what I wrote for the other one. I'm trying to think of what else came up that stomped me. :-\
Reply 55
Original post by toreilly102
I did the ccea exam aswell. It was alright i couldn't think of anything for the prose and wrote absolutely rubbish points and the cavity one was a bit hard aswell but overall ok

I messed that one up too!! I wrote that the water would move out of the cell and it wouldn't!!! Argh what was I thinking?! The teacher said you would need to score 45 for a C, 52.5 for a B and 60 for an A. hopefully Ive enough to pass!
Reply 56
Isn't this a CCEA thread? I'm getting worried because I don't remember any of the questions you guys are talking about. Plus most of the stuff that's being mentioned here isn't on the CCEA AS syllabus

I'm sorry. I didn't know what CCEA meant. I just saw "AS Biology Unit 1" and thought this was the exam I did. My apologies.
Reply 57
I messed that one up too!! I wrote that the water would move out of the cell and it wouldn't!!! Argh what was I thinking?! The teacher said you would need to score 45 for a C, 52.5 for a B and 60 for an A. hopefully Ive enough to pass!

I know :L I hate exam conditions :L Hopefully I'll pass maybe a high C low B

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending