The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Silverland
Where is your second choice amigo?

If the pool is anything to go by how Cam treat the country's brightest young minds, I doubt I want to be there at all

Durham, u?
and yh maybe you're right :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4501
Original post by mick.the.fish
Most probably Durham :biggrin:

U?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too!! Maybe I'll see you there :smile: do you have an offer?
Original post by Alex Bampton
x

Original post by piette
x

Original post by MA77
x

Commiserations all :console: good luck with any exams this month and 2nd choices :top:

Just wondering if you were contacted by phone/email/letter/carrier pigeon? I'm still swimming for John's theology, I'd just like to know how I'll find out (hence can stop obsessively checking email/phone/window for carrier pigeon) Thanks :h:
Reply 4503
Original post by Jennyhj
Dear Minerva,

I was fished for Geography earlier today by Lucy Cavendish. What confuses me is that the offer is for 2014 - which I didn't apply for. I want to start this year, as I already finished secondary schooling in November. Is there anyting I can do?
No, I'm afraid it's that or nothing. Your only alternative would be to reapply next year.
Original post by JKA17

oh cool which college??

yh i do A*AA , u??
Reply 4505
Original post by Question Mark
wow an economics interview without an economist! well good luck mate !:smile:

Noo I think I worded it wrong. It was a general interview in name but based entirely on economics is what I meant
Original post by JKA17

Most probably Durham :biggrin:

U?

Likewise too~

Castle here and seeing it as like Cam but with a heart right now. I'd rather be a champion of Durham than a cookie cutter Cam student tbqh.... and have more chance of a 1st too!
Reply 4507
oh cool which college??

yh i do A*AA , u??

Well I applied to St Chad's :smile: you? They don't tell us which one we're in until at least the end of January do they.
Mine too :smile:. It was very weird, they specifically wrote on my UCAS that the A* could be in anything, I thought surely they would only need to write something if the A* had to be in something specific :tongue:
Reply 4508
Likewise too~

Castle here and seeing it as like Cam but with a heart right now. I'd rather be a champion of Durham than a cookie cutter Cam student tbqh.... and have more chance of a 1st too!

I agree, they even said Merry Christmas and good luck with your January exams. Cambridge should take a leaf out of their book for sure.
Original post by jamil78613
Yeah I know what you're saying and I salute the fact that you're trying to remain optimistic. But this conversation began from a point made earlier that medics will have to wait all the way near the end of the process because they are all considered for open offers. You can probably imagine how I reacted to that, I felt as though all of this waiting may actually be worth it and there may be some light at the end of this perpetuating tunnel. However, it seems as though, the only medics with offers so late on are those that were re-interviewed. The rest that were made to wait were simply rejected i.e. no direct offers or open offers. I do appreciate that this may not be representative of this years stats, but I guess all that we can do at this stage is to infer from previous years threads.

I don't agree with the point about everyone being considered for open offers, and I'd probably agree with you as if you take the overall stats last year, 50 offered from the pool, and about 10 post interview. That leaves 10 who were unsuccessful, and I would assume those people would be considered for open offers.

It doesn't resolve anything though: I'm still puzzling over why they don't reject the rest of us...

But again, you can't really infer that much from last year's thread as the sample size was so small.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4510
Original post by Jennyhj
Dear Minerva,

I was fished for Geography earlier today by Lucy Cavendish. What confuses me is that the offer is for 2014 - which I didn't apply for. I want to start this year, as I already finished secondary schooling in November. Is there anyting I can do?

Original post by Minerva
No, I'm afraid it's that or nothing. Your only alternative would be to reapply next year.

Jenn seems to be asking about the year of entry rather than being pooled to an all girls. The same applies though. You won't be able to change it for a 2013 entry.
You've got until May when you need to finalise UCAS choice so if you can find something you want to do for a gap year then great otherwise just take one of your other offers. Plenty of time to think about it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by amg_22
Noo I think I worded it wrong. It was a general interview in name but based entirely on economics is what I meant

I would love to be in your position - waiting to hear still.

I understand the confusion now. you were reinterviewed by your original college and do obviously they wiuld ask you different questions.

The new college is interesting in that it was not a technical interview?

thinking of reapplying next year and this msy be useful if god forbid I end up in this situation :frown:
Finding Nemo 3: Getting into Cambridge

Critic's review:

"Guaranteed to scare you off your seat"

"Possibly one of the longest running times I've ever seen on a movie"

"You don't know what's going to happen next"

"Deeply tragic"

"The idea of two alternate endings one sad, one happy is frighteningly tense"
Reply 4513
Original post by L_X_0.0
If we have a so-called better chance, that must be the truth that an international student pays tens as much as a home student do to Cambridge:eek:If the original interviews are good, then I dont think there is any disadvantage(since they do not intend to interview the student), if not then...

Original post by Rhiannonymous
I don't know how your chances are affected in relation to the fact you can't have interviews but I know your chances are a bit better because Oxbridge are bound by law to accept a certain percentage/amount of international students which they have to meet each year.....so in that case I imagine chances are slightly better :smile:

Original post by joyie
more like three times as much lol :P
No they aren't - the decision as to how many international students the universities take is a matter for individual universities. What is subject to quota is the number of places for Home/EU students because of government funding arrangements.
Original post by mummyfish
My little fish is swimming onto waters new after her letter today . I would like to thank Minerva and the rest of this inspirational community for the support given by this thread to my fish and to me too!
I just know you will all go onto great things at great universities, I hope you get to meet up in uni bars across the country and be proud of your achievements.
For those awaiting interview outcomes I wish you good luck and for those still swimming I hope you get closure soon whatever that may be so that you can refocus on those exams!
Goodbye :smile:

Your fish got into Cambridge?
Just thought I'd bring this up again. I really like #6. That keeps me happy even though I may be rejected. It's like after all this I don't even want Cam that much anyways. Perhaps all Cambridge has ever meant to me was a prestigious way of meeting people who also loved their subject and Academia. All the pool has really shown me I guess is that even the most idealistic of places has harsh realities and nothing is as ever good as you dream of it.

But would you go if you got in? :cool:
Original post by cambridge_please
But would you go if you got in? :cool:

I'll tell you if I ever need to make that decision :wink:
Original post by the.austrian
Finding Nemo 3: Getting into Cambridge

Critic's review:

"Guaranteed to scare you off your seat"

"Possibly one of the longest running times I've ever seen on a movie"

"You don't know what's going to happen next"

"Deeply tragic"

"The idea of two alternate endings one sad, one happy is frighteningly tense"

Coming to a cinema near you... or at least it would. We think you're good enough to watch the film, but there just isn't room for you. Ah well.

Coming to a cinema near you... or at least it would. We think you're good enough to watch the film, but there just isn't room for you. Ah well.

I prefer Jaws anyway :wink:
Reply 4518
Original post by sandergansen
Is this official or why am I not in it (Magdalene - HSPS) - pooled, but no offer yet?
Er... no?! It's my collation of the information people have posted in this thread - I don't claim that it is complete or wholly accurate, as it is very easy to miss things, and people don't always post all their details at the same time.

In your case you posted your information after I had compiled the data for today's report - which was very early this morning :smile:
Reply 4519
Original post by cambridge_please
Thank you but yes it annoys me because I am already on a gap year :frown:
Well, you don't have to accept the offer, do you? However, another gap year won't be so terrible - there must be plenty of constructive things you could do with it - and I think you'll come round to the idea when you've taken it all in.

Latest

Trending

Trending