The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4520
Original post by ohlittlewolf
Sorry if this has been asked already but....
I was pooled by King's for English and fished by Churchill and Fitzwilliam, and had both interviews today.
I didn't want to sound arrogant so I didn't ask in the interview - but what would happen if both colleges wanted to make me an offer? Would I get to choose, or would they decide between themselves?
TOUCH WOOD TOUCH WOOD TOUCH WOOD I DIDN'T JINX IT :P
No, they'll choose for you. If they really can't agree, it'll be a coin toss, but I find it hard to believe it ever really gets that far!
Reply 4521
Original post by Question Mark
I would love to be in your position - waiting to hear still.

I understand the confusion now. you were reinterviewed by your original college and do obviously they wiuld ask you different questions.

The new college is interesting in that it was not a technical interview?

thinking of reapplying next year and this msy be useful if god forbid I end up in this situation :frown:

where else have you applied? i would say you shouldn't take a year out just to try and get into cambridge, i don't mean to sound harsh but the chances that they will take you wouldn't be great so unless you have something you plan to do you may regret taking a year out :/ and yeah its nice to not be rejected yet but my last week has been SO stressful!
Reply 4522
Original post by Minerva
x

do the two colleges make their decisions about you before or after discussing it with the other college? i.e. will they discuss your suitability for Cambridge based on all your interviews?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4523
Original post by blurofthestars
I've been offered a place at Robinson's College to read Geography (through the pool) I was called on Saturday but haven't had a letter or email with the details of my offer, is this normal?
Yes.

Original post by gringamom
no idea, i just used the data that Miranda posted this morning and rearranged them by college instead of by subject (the totals for the subjects are also listed at the bottom)
I have a new name it seems...

Don't worry, the reason you didn't have those details is because they hadn't been posted at the time that I compiled the report.

On the 'B' mark issue - these numbers will be very small. Firstly, some colleges will not have spaces for any of their subjects. Secondly, of those that do have spaces, it will not be across all subjects. The limit of one B file per subject per college is designed to keep the numbers small, and I'm sure does.

The 150 or so cases of people being recalled from the Pool to their original college are those whose file would have been marked as "A" and reclaimed by the end of the first day.

I don't think a preference college can be allowed to mark a file as "B" because either they commit to making an "A" applicant a direct offer, or they release them into the Pool. However, if one of their applicants isn't claimed by another college in the Pool, it is theoretically possible for the preference college to still make them an offer after any interviews have been completed, if a space remains. Again, very very small numbers.
Minerva/Miranda, do you have any idea why they keep medics so long?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4525
Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
Hi Minerva, I had my interview today, which went okay! But I was wondering how long I should expect to wait now? I think it might have said on the letter, but I cant find it...
They probably didn't say. It seems to vary, so no telling, I'm afraid. It may depend on whether they've had to timetable more interviews for your subject next week because of exam clashes or whatever.
Original post by the.austrian
Finding Nemo 3: Getting into Cambridge

Critic's review:

"Guaranteed to scare you off your seat"

"Possibly one of the longest running times I've ever seen on a movie"

"You don't know what's going to happen next"

"Deeply tragic"

"The idea of two alternate endings one sad, one happy is frighteningly tense"

This cheered me up no end, thank you Sir/Madam
Original post by amg_22
where else have you applied? i would say you shouldn't take a year out just to try and get into cambridge, i don't mean to sound harsh but the chances that they will take you wouldn't be great so unless you have something you plan to do you may regret taking a year out :/ and yeah its nice to not be rejected yet but my last week has been SO stressful!

offer from Warwick and UCL. Not decided yet.......both are good. waiting for LSE.

your right Iwill t ake Lse if that comes through.

I share the stress bro. still suffering but you seem more relaxed on here .......... :smile:
Reply 4528
Original post by mucgoo
Jenn seems to be asking about the year of entry rather than being pooled to an all girls. The same applies though. You won't be able to change it for a 2013 entry.
You've got until May when you need to finalise UCAS choice so if you can find something you want to do for a gap year then great otherwise just take one of your other offers. Plenty of time to think about it.
Oops - sorry, misread that.

Original post by the.austrian
Finding Nemo 3: Getting into Cambridge

Critic's review:

"Guaranteed to scare you off your seat"

"Possibly one of the longest running times I've ever seen on a movie"

"You don't know what's going to happen next"

"Deeply tragic"

"The idea of two alternate endings one sad, one happy is frighteningly tense"
PRSOM :smile:
Reply 4529
Did anyone get feedback after being rejected? Still waiting for mine...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4530
Original post by amg_22
do the two colleges make their decisions about you before or after discussing it with the other college? i.e. will they discuss your suitability for Cambridge based on all your interviews?
I doubt that they'll talk to the people who interviewed you originally, but I don't know of anything to stop them. They have your original interview reports anyway.

Original post by medicdude
Minerva/Miranda, do you have any idea why they keep medics so long?
Nope, none at all. I can only suppose that choosing between a lot of very promising applicants must be very tough, and maybe they have some complicated system for objectively assessing relative merits. :dontknow:
Original post by medicdude
I don't agree with the point about everyone being considered for open offers, and I'd probably agree with you as if you take the overall stats last year, 50 offered from the pool, and about 10 post interview. That leaves 10 who were unsuccessful, and I would assume those people would be considered for open offers.

It doesn't resolve anything though: I'm still puzzling over why they don't reject the rest of us...

But again, you can't really infer that much from last year's thread as the sample size was so small.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you're right we shouldn't really be using last years thread to make those sorts of inferences, given the sample size, but that's the best that we can do imo. I think the remaining hundred or so people that still haven't heard anything are probably wondering the same. I won't speculate, but i think it's just ridiculous, they probably have no idea as to what they're putting us through. I just hope that the open offers thing is true and that good news comes our way soon. Good luck. Btw, if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? And which college were you pooled from?
Reply 4532
Original post by Minerva
I doubt that they'll talk to the people who interviewed you originally, but I don't know of anything to stop them. They have your original interview reports anyway.

Oh ok, I'm probably worrying too much haha. Do you know if they place large empathises on previous interview performance or is it just on their own?
Reply 4533
Original post by amg_22
Oh ok, I'm probably worrying too much haha. Do you know if they place large empathises on previous interview performance or is it just on their own?
I really have no idea, I'm afraid. I would expect them to be most interested in the interviews they've done themselves.

We'll just have to wait and see. I know it's nerve-wracking, and three interviews in one day is a lot, so well done for surviving!
i heard someone mention you can get interview feedback through your referee? is this true minerva?
It seems like everyone has heard something... D: I've heard nothing since my initial pooling email :frown: Applied to Fitz for PBS, pooled, and then nothing.

Feels like I'm a little fish swimming in the ocean, not just a pool, so lost. Anyone else in the same situation
Yeah I'm not too sure why it's got to be different to other courses in terms of sending out rejections etc.

93% ums and 6.5 4.3 3.5B BMAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4537
Original post by belisarius
i heard someone mention you can get interview feedback through your referee? is this true minerva?
Yes, once all the decisions have been made and sent out - so not before the end of January.

Original post by amyandbeyond
It seems like everyone has heard something... D: I've heard nothing since my initial pooling email :frown: Applied to Fitz for PBS, pooled, and then nothing.

Feels like I'm a little fish swimming in the ocean, not just a pool, so lost. Anyone else in the same situation
This thread is full of people in the same situation. You are not the only person who has heard nothing since they got their Pool letter.
Original post by Minerva
Yes, once all the decisions have been made and sent out - so not before the end of January.

Oh ok thank you very much :smile:
Original post by cambridge_please
Your fish got into Cambridge?

No, swimming towards Durham, Bristol, Exeter or Sheffield. Sure she will catch up with some of you!
Good luck if you are still waiting to hear.

Latest

Trending

Trending