The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pooled and still didn't heard anything ;/ What are my chances? Worried ;/

Anyway I just got letter that I've been pooled (ON 11/01/2013) so maybe it's just later for international.

Do you think I've got any chances? Eh..
Original post by honggau

Anyway, screw this. We will still have a wonderful life!!

That sentence will keep me motivated to exams :biggrin:
rejected for chem eng via natural sciences from emmanuel
letter came today in the post :frown:
Reply 4623
Original post by wildwilde
Minerva - do you know if any rejections have been made by Sidney Sussex thus far?
None have been reported here - doesn't mean they haven't happened.

Original post by jennaleeah
Mum just rang me at college with my rejection letter for Law (originally applied to Christ's).

I'm crushed. I know it's just a university and there are many other fantastic ones out there... But y'know, it's Cambridge. Guess I didn't realise how badly I actually wanted to go.

I haven't read through this thread so I don't know if anyone's been given an offer yet, but if so, my warmest congratulations to you:smile:
The disappointment will pass - you won't be short of other great opportunities :smile:

Original post by dornam
There hasn't been an offer around here for a few days now
There have been a few, but mostly people reporting offers they've known about for a day or two, rather than found out about just before posting.

Original post by inangel123
Drowned by Downing for MML, am at school and my Dad called to tell me the letter had arrived. Oh well, I knew it was a long shot. Thank god for this thread, it's the only thing that's kept me going this past week! Good luck to everyone else, just hang in there :smile: You'll do fantastic wherever you end up!
Glad it's helped. I just keep hoping that the people who run Cambridge admissions might read it and get some idea of what people are being put through - but maybe that's because I am an incurable optimist!
Reply 4624
Original post by honggau
What do they write in rejection letter? Any specific reason? :frown:
Not usually. Mostly it's just platitudes about there being too many great applicants for too few places. Your referee can be given more specific feedback for you.
I have drowned!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have also drowned! Rejection letter from Peterhouse for Maths. Ah well, I didn't think I would cope with the workload anyway =/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4627
Original post by joyie
oh thats cool.. youre the first person ive seen whos definately reapplying. dyu thing your chances will be much better next year?

yeah, i'm pretty confident i'll have a better chance with my actual grades, i'm just going to work hard in making them above my current predicted. If i've got this far i refuse to fall at the first hurdle- i see uni as a starting block of a carrier, not just 3 years. So, at the age of 40, i'd rather look back and see i took a year out to go to one of the best universities i could possibly get in to, than went to a ''good' one, just to fit with the batch production process of school straight to uni, regardless of the uni :smile: on-wards and upwards!
Reply 4628
Rejected by downing for mathematics. 98ums....

Genuinely wanted some advice, i have received offers from Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Durham.

If I was to sit STEP I,II and III in the summer and get something like 1,1,1.
Would it be advisable to reapply, like are my chances higher the next time around? If I was to reapply do they usually ask for STEP again? Or do they not because you've technically met the conditions? Does anybody know anyone who did this? Or have any experience with something like this?

Thanks a lot to everyone, and to Minerva. Good luck to those people who havnt heard :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Minerva
Glad it's helped. I just keep hoping that the people who run Cambridge admissions might read it and get some idea of what people are being put through - but maybe that's because I am an incurable optimist!

I would be so up for helping you make this point to Cambridge. I can't imagine the state I'd be in if I were put in the pool! Absolutely awful way of dealing with things... can't they do it in the background like Oxford seems to?

The other thing that would be amazing is if everyone could log on to a website and get their decisions at the same time, across all colleges. The tension up to that point would be huge, but at least everyone finds out at the same time!

OK enough ranting. I recently got an exam result late by ten minutes and was screaming bloody murder, so for you all to be put through this is just awful :frown:
Reply 4630
Original post by KD35
yep, that is correct.

I feel applying to Cambridge has been a waste of time now because I didn't really care about it before I applied but now I've had a taste of it, I want more and I'm tempted to apply again next year.

hope you get all offers fromyour other unis- i'm sure they're great!
Original post by sjk1995
yeah, i'm pretty confident i'll have a better chance with my actual grades, i'm just going to work hard in making them above my current predicted. If i've got this far i refuse to fall at the first hurdle- i see uni as a starting block of a carrier, not just 3 years. So, at the age of 40, i'd rather look back and see i took a year out to go to one of the best universities i could possibly get in to, than went to a ''good' one, just to fit with the batch production process of school straight to uni, regardless of the uni :smile: on-wards and upwards!

This is my view also, if we get the grades a lot of re-applicants are successful second time around. They know and understand the system, how to play it and how to prepare. And in the grand scheme of things 1 year to mature and do something useful may actually be something which we will really enjoy!
Original post by aakd
Rejected by downing for mathematics. 98ums....

Genuinely wanted some advice, i have received offers from Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Durham.

If I was to sit STEP I,II and III in the summer and get something like 1,1,1.
Would it be advisable to reapply, like are my chances higher the next time around? If I was to reapply do they usually ask for STEP again? Or do they not because you've technically met the conditions? Does anybody know anyone who did this? Or have any experience with something like this?

Thanks a lot to everyone, and to Minerva. Good luck to those people who havnt heard :smile:

Commiserations. By all means take STEP; if you change your mind about Cambridge, you'll need it for Warwick and probably for the other universities you've applied to as well.

If you get 1, 1, 1, you'll almost certainly be sufficiently prepared for an interview and hence another offer. However, your offer will be conditional on STEP again, and will be S, 1 or S, S (and I believe that would be the case even if you got S, S, S).

We don't know whether this is university-wide policy, or whether its just isolated cases we know about. Farhan Hanif took a gap year, got an S, 1 offer and is now studying there now. Can't remember if he had taken STEP previously though.
Reply 4633
Stalking this thread and checking emails feel like I'm stalking my ex's facebook and stuff lol I have to stop!!
Original post by shamika
I would be so up for helping you make this point to Cambridge. I can't imagine the state I'd be in if I were put in the pool! Absolutely awful way of dealing with things... can't they do it in the background like Oxford seems to?

The other thing that would be amazing is if everyone could log on to a website and get their decisions at the same time, across all colleges. The tension up to that point would be huge, but at least everyone finds out at the same time!

OK enough ranting. I recently got an exam result late by ten minutes and was screaming bloody murder, so for you all to be put through this is just awful :frown:

If a mischievous applicant ever want to put a spanner in the works... they should submit a Data Subject Request under the Data Protection Act just as the pool is going on, just so they Cambridge is put at a conundrum on what part of his pool file is requestable data and what is not, or before they had any chance of destroying interviewer notes. :colone:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
drowned for HSPS by Homerton!
11a* gcse, 89% average at AS- didn't take politics or sociology though.
one decent interview, one not so great but not dire.
good luck to everyone left in!
Reply 4636
Original post by ukdragon37
If a mischievous applicant ever want to put a spanner in the works... they should submit a Data Subject Request under the Data Protection Act just as the pool is going on, just so they Cambridge is put at a conundrum on what part of his pool file is requestable data and what is not, or before they had any chance of destroying interviewer notes. :colone:

Spoiler

Interestingly, they actually make this point in their own advice for interviewers - that notes from interviews could potentially become subject to a data inquiry, so interviewers must make sure that anything they write down would be appropriate.
Reply 4637
put me out of my misery........
Original post by ukdragon37

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 4639
Original post by shamika
Commiserations. By all means take STEP; if you change your mind about Cambridge, you'll need it for Warwick and probably for the other universities you've applied to as well.

If you get 1, 1, 1, you'll almost certainly be sufficiently prepared for an interview and hence another offer. However, your offer will be conditional on STEP again, and will be S, 1 or S, S (and I believe that would be the case even if you got S, S, S).

We don't know whether this is university-wide policy, or whether its just isolated cases we know about. Farhan Hanif took a gap year, got an S, 1 offer and is now studying there now. Can't remember if he had taken STEP previously though.

Thanks a lot for the help! Are you currently studying there? How Dyu know this haha?

Can I ask why they would increase the STEP offer even more if you take a gap year? That seems like they want you to redo it and try and make you fail because S,S is insanely hard?
And there's no guarantee that you will receive an offer again? Say the interview goes poorly again?

Latest

Trending

Trending