The Student Room Group

WJEC biology BY4 11/01/2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Greyscales
Ahh i thought glycolysis too :L that was a mean question, and 4 marks for it! I think the w came out both times right after the carbons reduced in number, if it was ATP what other evidence was there for it? (I thought co2)

It said afterward, "what enzyme is used for it"? Or something similar. I too put co2, but becuase I did not know the enzyme I just put ATPase.
Original post by stevo95
Glycerol doesn't go in kerbs.... I thought it went in at triose phosphate too... But it specified '3 carbon compound' so I put pyruvate as there was no arrow pointing to triose

Also W was co2... Every time a substance loses a carbon it loses a co2 molecule!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, I put co2 too. But I did not know that "enzyme" question afterward.

Also, glycerol when broken down from fat does go into Krebs as triose phosphate.
Original post by mclovin123
It said afterward, "what enzyme is used for it"? Or something similar. I too put co2, but becuase I did not know the enzyme I just put ATPase.

I think it wanted decarboxylase (for co2)
Original post by Greyscales
I think it wanted decarboxylase (for co2)

Ohh ok, is that even in the spec or text books?
Ohh ok, is that even in the spec or text books?

Not sure :L but our teacher drummed that one out a lot, and dehydrogenase
Reply 165
Yeah it was CO2 and decarboxylase, I was taught it but it doesn't come up on the papers very often. Classic WJEC really.
Reply 166
I know, I put co2 too. But I did not know that "enzyme" question afterward.

Also, glycerol when broken down from fat does go into Krebs as triose phosphate.

Yeah decarboxylase.... But triose phosphate isn't in the krebs cycle....

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the numbers I answered
2,6 for the first substrate level phosphorylation occurs in glycolysis and krebs
Was unsure on second but I put 2
The third where was ATP used? 1 as in glycolysis
Original post by stevo95
Yeah decarboxylase.... But triose phosphate isn't in the krebs cycle....

Posted from TSR Mobile

The endorsed text book states "glycerol forms a 3 carbon sugar and enters the krebs cycle as triose phosphate as an intermediate.
Reply 169
Overall, I thought it went okay, but we'll see in March I guess.

For the numbers I think I put:

And W was CO2, the enzyme was Decarboxylase.

The 8 mark table confused me mine, bloody WJEC...
Reply 170
The endorsed text book states "glycerol forms a 3 carbon sugar and enters the krebs cycle as triose phosphate as an intermediate.

Which one have you got? Have you got the big text book printed in November? In that one it says it enters as a 3C compound, get actived by ATP and follow glycolysis pathway.
Reply 171

Ooh I see... Enters AS triose phosphate.... Yeah I thought it did... But there wasn't an arrow pointing to triose phosphate... That's why I got confused haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 172
Original post by Jarno
Overall, I thought it went okay, but we'll see in March I guess.

For the numbers I think I put:

And W was CO2, the enzyme was Decarboxylase.

The 8 mark table confused me mine, bloody WJEC...

I quite likes the table! But there was one I got stuck on... Where the final electron is accepted in a chloroplast... It's accepted by NADPH2 but does this happen in the stroma or thylakoid space?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 173
Original post by stevo95
I quite likes the table! But there was one I got stuck on... Where the final electron is accepted in a chloroplast... It's accepted by NADPH2 but does this happen in the stroma or thylakoid space?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's what confused me. I went with Stroma + Matrix but that in turn confused me about 'where H+ are pumped through the membrane', because the arrow for chloroplast was pointing at the thylakoid space rather than the membrane <.<
Reply 174
Original post by Jarno
Yeah, that's what confused me. I went with Stroma + Matrix but that in turn confused me about 'where H+ are pumped through the membrane', because the arrow for chloroplast was pointing at the thylakoid space rather than the membrane <.<

Ahh I went for thylakoid and matrix... Hmmm... Yeah! I can't remember now about that one haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 175
Agreed, a lot of my answers were hugely ambiguous. I feel like it could be an E or if the boundaries are low a B. I thought the respiration thing was in the bag but now that I think about it I reckon I ****ed it up. I put the one about "glycerol going in as trios phosphate" in glycolysis, only to remember as soon as I walked out the door it goes in the Krebs cycle.

Also, how dare they represent the "w" tag labeling the Krebs cycle as ATP, a few people in my school said it was ATP but I thought it was Co2? If it was ATP then that's very mean, they did not even specify if it was one cycle or two? Bull****.

W definitely was CO2 only because in the kreb cycle it had 2 W's only one ATP I produced in kerbs and two CO2 :smile:
what did people say for the importance of ATP???
Reply 177
Original post by stevo95
Ahh I went for thylakoid and matrix... Hmmm... Yeah! I can't remember now about that one haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah pretty sure it is the matrix but I too wasn't sure about where NADP is reduced as I didn't think to revise something that obscure. :colondollar:
Reply 178
Original post by JulieRichards
what did people say for the importance of ATP???

I assumed the question was asking about the uses of ATP in the cell but I also mentioned what properties made it useful because I wasn't really sure.
For the uses you could say DNA replication, active transport, protein synthesis, muscle contractions...
Original post by Bord3r
I assumed the question was asking about the uses of ATP in the cell but I also mentioned what properties made it useful because I wasn't really sure.
For the uses you could say DNA replication, active transport, protein synthesis, muscle contractions...

yeah i only listed uses but the word 'importance' confused me a little, i didnt know if it was asking for uses or properties or advantages or something completely different

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending