The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Original post by DJMayes
When were your interviews on the 10th? I was there from 12 until 5.

Ahh mine were both quite early, i think i was gone by 11 :P must have missed you
Reply 1081
Original post by jysim123
Hi all,

I just got an offer to read NatSci (Physical) at Churchill, the requirements are A*A*AA (where the 2 A*s have to come from further maths and chemistry). I'm a Malaysian doing an 18-month A-level program (CIE). Our academic year starts in January 2012 as opposed to September 2011 like in the UK, which is why I only took the AS examsin October 2012. My results will be out on the 22nd Jan. I'm just wondering whether Cambridge will accept resits. Chemistry is not my strongest suit and I'm not very sure whether I did well enough in Chemistry AS to get an A* for it eventually. If I were to sit for Chemistry AS again in May (alongside my chemistry A2), will Cambridge disapprove of this?

Any advice on this would be well-appreciated! Thanks in advance :smile: :smile:

Don't think they can do anything if you do resits now... Also AS marks don't affect your ability to get an A* so long as you get a b at AS.

A* is 90% ums at A2 (average across A2 modules, so 270/300) and average 80% ums overall 480/600 or more. So as long as you get 210/300 at AS or more you still need 270 at A2 to get A* and getting more at AS makes no difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,

I just got an offer to read NatSci (Physical) at Churchill, the requirements are A*A*AA (where the 2 A*s have to come from further maths and chemistry). I'm a Malaysian doing an 18-month A-level program (CIE). Our academic year starts in January 2012 as opposed to September 2011 like in the UK, which is why I only took the AS examsin October 2012. My results will be out on the 22nd Jan. I'm just wondering whether Cambridge will accept resits. Chemistry is not my strongest suit and I'm not very sure whether I did well enough in Chemistry AS to get an A* for it eventually. If I were to sit for Chemistry AS again in May (alongside my chemistry A2), will Cambridge disapprove of this?

Any advice on this would be well-appreciated! Thanks in advance :smile: :smile:

Hi!!! Another Churchill Physical Natsci!!
We share the same condition. A*A*A in FM, CHEM, AND PHYSICS. I'm also doing CIE, but in China, we took the exams in May/June, so the results will be released in August. AFAIK, Cambridge does take re-sit. If you are still not quite sure, I strongly suggest you emailing the AO.
Any Churchill offer holders here??:tongue:
Reply 1084
Any chemical engineers via natural sciences??
Reply 1085
Any Nat Sci offer holders or Sidney Sussex offer holders?
Original post by Spheniscidae
Was the A*A*A in an engineering/mathematics subject by any chance? Because apparently these subjects are more likely to have 2A*s in their offer. I don't know whether it's a Magdalene thing really - though it must vary from college to college as one of my friends got an offer from Trinity Hall and hers was A*AAE...

I don't think I would've gotten in without my fourth subject, to be honest, as Medicine is such a competitive course, and Cambridge in particular are very selective on your academics and ability to cope with a large workload. I was really surprised when some of my friends got into NatSci with only 3 subjects, as I've heard the horror stories of everyone applying having 5+ subjects... I don't know anyone who got into Cambridge Medicine with 3 subjects at the moment.

5+ subjects?
At least not me. I'm only studying 4 currently including Economics which I may not take the exam.
Original post by T.Aria
Any Nat Sci offer holders or Sidney Sussex offer holders?

Natsci in Churchill here
Reply 1088
Original post by Rockthelespaul
No way! mine was on the 3rd too! haha my interview was at 4.45 when was yours?

Mine was at 3, so close but yet so far :frown: from what time were you there? I got there quite early and just wandered around Cambridge, it's likely we saw each other in passing :smile:
Reply 1089
Original post by fabulanoctis
Yup, me for Law! You? :smile:

I've got an offer from Sidney :smile:
Original post by ThatFrog
Mine was at 3, so close but yet so far :frown: from what time were you there? I got there quite early and just wandered around Cambridge, it's likely we saw each other in passing :smile:

Just sent you a PM
Reply 1091
Original post by Oromis263
The Alhambra is just wow. The day I went though, it was something like 49 degrees celsius! Soldiered on and took it all in though; getting back to our villa later that day and taking a dip in our pool was heavenly. :tongue:

Yeah it was so hot when I went as well, we went to a quaint little Arabic tea shop afterwards which was amazing, it's such an interesting cultural mix
Original post by jetohlman
Haha yeah that sounds good, I'm also pondering over how to formally formulate a "yes" and not sound too crazy :P

I've applied for Law, but seeing as Peterhouse is so small I'm sure all freshers meet each other despite subject choice ^^ What subject have you applied for?

Yep, I'm sure we'll meet :smile: I've applied for English.
Original post by Grauniad
Hi all, A*AA offer for HSPS from Christ's. Just found out that Andy Parsons went there. This pleases me (as does the fact that UCAS confirmed it really was an offer, and not just some incredibly well thought-out and planned prank)

Hi fellow HSPS offer holder, I also have an A*AA offer from Christ's :smile:
Reply 1094
Original post by Rory_M
Don't think they can do anything if you do resits now... Also AS marks don't affect your ability to get an A* so long as you get a b at AS.

A* is 90% ums at A2 (average across A2 modules, so 270/300) and average 80% ums overall 480/600 or more. So as long as you get 210/300 at AS or more you still need 270 at A2 to get A* and getting more at AS makes no difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there!
Thanks for your insight. :smile: Does this also apply to CIE A-levels too? The fact that my AS grades do not affect my eventual A2 grades? If it does, are you saying that even if I get 70% for my AS UMS and 90% A2 UMS, I still get an A*?
Hey! Any fellow linguistics people out there, especially those with an offer from Christ's?
Reply 1096
Original post by Jerry Zhou
Hi!!! Another Churchill Physical Natsci!!
We share the same condition. A*A*A in FM, CHEM, AND PHYSICS. I'm also doing CIE, but in China, we took the exams in May/June, so the results will be released in August. AFAIK, Cambridge does take re-sit. If you are still not quite sure, I strongly suggest you emailing the AO.

Hi fellow Churchill Physical NatSci applicant!
I see, but even if I do resits, will Cambridge know about it? Also, does the UMS system apply to CIE as well (the fact that even if our UMS at AS is 70% and our UMS at A2 is 90%, it's still 80% overall and we can still get an A* for that particular subject?)

I hope you can help me on this! Thanks again! :biggrin:
Hi fellow Churchill Physical NatSci applicant!
I see, but even if I do resits, will Cambridge know about it? Also, does the UMS system apply to CIE as well (the fact that even if our UMS at AS is 70% and our UMS at A2 is 90%, it's still 80% overall and we can still get an A* for that particular subject?)

I hope you can help me on this! Thanks again! :biggrin:

The uni will definitely know it and I think you should let them know in the first place instead of waiting for it to realise it. Be honest.
I don't think we call them UMS. They combine AS and A2 mark. If the overall percentage mark is 80%, sorry it's not qualified as A*. If you get 80% in AS, and 100% in A2 and AS and A2 have the same weight in calculating the ALEVEL mark, you'll get 90%, which is an A*. Anything lower than this won't do I'm afraid.
If your AS mark is 85%, it may be difficult for you to get an A* in A2 since you will have to achieve higher than 95% (However, if you study really hard, there will still be some possibility:biggrin:)
When it says to write to your college telling them you decision, do we send the letter off in the post? and is there anything more to say than more or less 'i will be accepting the offer'?
Original post by Waves_1995
When it says to write to your college telling them you decision, do we send the letter off in the post? and is there anything more to say than more or less 'i will be accepting the offer'?

I personally emailed my college, they replied back quickly with a "Thank you" and a quick explanation of what they'd like off me next. If you've got their email address, that might be easier than writing a letter.

Latest

Trending

Trending