The Student Room Group

My Velocity Diet Log - 28 Days Of Shakes

After much umming and erring, I decided I'd give this a go. I'm mainly interested in the secondary effect of the diet, the supposed change in taste people have coming off of it, reduction in cravings etc.

I'm not interested in hearing from people who don't think it's a good idea. I've thoroughly researched the diet over several weeks, and concluded that it's okay - nothing you can say will change my mind. (Besides I've already spent most of my month's food budget on supplements now!)

I'm starting today, and will be taking my shakes in an IF style pattern, with the intention therefore of staying full and content for the longest period possible. I don't get hungry in the mornings, and am already adapted to an IF style of eating, so I figure just replacing the food I consume in the afternoon/evening will be the best way forward.

Plan to have shakes every 2.5 hours, starting at 12pm.

Supplements all ordered from myprotein.com.

https://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/total_protein - Total Protein - standard shake, mix of whey, milk protein, etc
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/omega_3_liquid - Omega 3 Liquid (Can't deal with swallowing big caps)
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/alpha_men - Alpha Men Multi Vit
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/inulin - Inulin as fibre supp
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/hurricane_xs - Hurricane XS for post-workout
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/flax_seed_powder - Flax Seed Powder
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/superfood_xs - Superfood XS (antioxidants - acai, apple, blackcurrent, blueberries, brocolli, cranberry, etc...)

Yesterday was day 1, which went pretty okay considering.

Got up and weighed myself first thing, starting weight is 196.6lbs.

I'm getting just under 1500kcals on non-workout days, and 1700kcalson workout days.

Had my 5 shakes at 12pm, 2.30pm, 5pm, 7.30pm and last one at 10.30pm.

Opened the cupboard to discover we had no peanut butter, weighed out 205 kcals worth of cheese instead, not perfect - but closest thing I could think of that's similar macro wise to peanut butter, although cheese is obviously higher in sat. fat. Will get some peanut (or almond) butter tomorrow.

Diet hasn't been too bad to be honest, I expected it to be much worse. Only hunger pangs I got were after 10pm, I meant to have my shake at 10pm anyway, so my fault really - was busy getting some stuff done. Perhaps it'll get worse next few days as I get into it.

Into day 2 today, weighed in this morning at 194.2lbs. Today is my first gym day since starting the diet, will be interesting to see what my energy's like in the gym later. I'm doing madcow 5x5, after a mixed year in terms of training and 4 months of chronic illness at the beginning which really set me back. (Although I have fully recovered now)

Weight Progress On Velocity Part 1 - 5-6 shakes per day first 2 weeks, 4-5 shakes per day last 2 weeks
Day 1: 196.6lbs (+0.0lbs)
Day 2: 194.2lbs (-2.4lbs)
Day 3: 192lbs (-2.2lbs)
Day 4: 190.8lbs (-1.2lbs)
Day 5: 190.2lbs (-0.6lbs)
Day 6: 192lbs (+1.8lbs)
Day 7: 190.8lbs (-1.2lbs)
Day 8: 190.8lbs (+0.0lbs)
Day 9: 190.4lbs (-0.4lbs)
Day 10: 189.8lbs (-0.6lbs)
Day 11: 189.6lbs (-0.2lbs)
Day 12: 189.4lbs (-0.2lbs)
Day 13: 189.6lbs (+0.2lbs)
Day 14: 190lbs (+0.4lbs)
Day 15: 189lbs (-1.0lbs)
Day 16: 187.8lbs (-1.2lbs)
Day 17: 187.4lbs (-0.4lbs)
Day 18: 187.2lbs (-0.2lbs)
Day 19: ???
Day 20: 187.4lbs (+0.2lbs)
Day 21: 186lbs (-1.4lbs)
Day 22: 185.2lbs (-0.8lbs)
Day 23: 184.6lbs (-0.6lbs)
Day 24: 185lbs (+0.4lbs)
Day 25: 184.6lbs (-0.4lbs)
Day 26: 185.2lbs (+0.6lbs)
Day 27: ???
Day 28: ???
Day 29: 183lbs (-2.2lbs)
Day 30: 182.4lbs (-0.6lbs)
Day 31: 182lbs (-0.4lbs)

Total loss after velocity for 30 days: 14.6lbs
Average loss per day: 0.49lbs

Now starts the transition back into a normal cut, which will be 2 shakes a day from tomorrow + a meal. If I'm having bigger meals, I'll be attempting to get by on one shake. This month is my birthday, etc.. So always a difficult one in terms of weight loss.

Weight Progress On Velocity Part 2 - 2 shakes per day for 2 weeks + 1 evening meal
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mituozo
After much umming and erring, I decided I'd give this a go. I'm mainly interested in the secondary effect of the diet, the supposed change in taste people have coming off of it, reduction in cravings etc.

I'm not interested in hearing from people who don't think it's a good idea. I've thoroughly researched the diet over several weeks, and concluded that it's okay - nothing you can say will change my mind. (Besides I've already spent most of my month's food budget on supplements now!)

I'm starting today, and will be taking my shakes in an IF style pattern, with the intention therefore of staying full and content for the longest period possible. I don't get hungry in the mornings, and am already adapted to an IF style of eating, so I figure just replacing the food I consume in the afternoon/evening will be the best way forward.

Plan to have shakes every 2.5 hours, starting at 12pm.

Supplements all ordered from myprotein.com.

https://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/total_protein - Total Protein - standard shake, mix of whey, milk protein, etc
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/omega_3_liquid - Omega 3 Liquid (Can't deal with swallowing big caps)
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/alpha_men - Alpha Men Multi Vit
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/inulin - Inulin as fibre supp
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/hurricane_xs - Hurricane XS for post-workout
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/flax_seed_powder - Flax Seed Powder
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/superfood_xs - Superfood XS (antioxidants - acai, apple, blackcurrent, blueberries, brocolli, cranberry, etc...)

Yesterday was day 1, which went pretty okay considering.

Got up and weighed myself first thing, starting weight is 196.6lbs.

I'm getting just under 1500kcals on non-workout days, and 1700kcalson workout days.

Had my 5 shakes at 12pm, 2.30pm, 5pm, 7.30pm and last one at 10.30pm.

Opened the cupboard to discover we had no peanut butter, weighed out 205 kcals worth of cheese instead, not perfect - but closest thing I could think of that's similar macro wise to peanut butter, although cheese is obviously higher in sat. fat. Will get some peanut (or almond) butter tomorrow.

Diet hasn't been too bad to be honest, I expected it to be much worse. Only hunger pangs I got were after 10pm, I meant to have my shake at 10pm anyway, so my fault really - was busy getting some stuff done. Perhaps it'll get worse next few days as I get into it.

Into day 2 today, weighed in this morning at 194.2lbs. Today is my first gym day since starting the diet, will be interesting to see what my energy's like in the gym later. I'm doing madcow 5x5, after a mixed year in terms of training and 4 months of chronic illness at the beginning which really set me back. (Although I have fully recovered now)

Weight Progress
Day 1: 196.6lbs (+0.0lbs)
Day 2: 194.2lbs (-2.4lbs)

I'm not going to say you shouldn't do it, because you already said you don't want to hear it...
But can I ask why did you not choose to count calories like you are now but with more whole foods instead of all these shakes? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by areebmazhar
I'm not going to say you shouldn't do it, because you already said you don't want to hear it...
But can I ask why did you not choose to count calories like you are now but with more whole foods instead of all these shakes? :smile:

Good question. Main reasons are:

1) To get rid of bad habits all at once. Associations of having certain foods at certain times of day, eating specific things when I go to certain things, etc.. By forcing yourself to do this you reset all those habits and associations, so that after stopping the diet you can start anew.

2) To change my thoughts on food. Trying to shift my thoughts more over to treating food like a fuel than something of pleasure.

3) I'm going skiing at the end of March and want to be as fit as possible for that. Easiest way to improve fitness is to lose weight. Most people doing this diet lose ~20lbs in the 28 days. I then plan to continue a slow cut eating whole foods until I ski at the end of march. The other benefit is that the way the diet is put together, most people also gain / at the least maintain their strength due to the protein excess and well timed carbs.

4) Will power test. If I can do this diet, I can do any diet. No excuses.

You get all the basics needed on the diet: protein, carbs, good fats, vitamins, minerals, etc... Probably far more than the average person gets from a "bad" diet. The main issue is the lack of solids effect on stomach size (one reason you have a healthy solid meal once a week) and secondly some people have problems with slight lactose intolerance leading to gas / intestinal problems. As far as I'm aware I've yet to experience any issues like that yet, so hopefully clear! Of course time will tell. If I begin to get intestinal cramps or have digestive problems, I'll probably change the diet a little bit by introducing a low calorie meal of chicken + non-starchy veg in the evenings, instead of my dinner shake + peanut butter.
Original post by mituozo
Good question. Main reasons are:
Most people doing this diet lose ~20lbs in the 28 days.

Don't really see how that is possible since 1lb of fat~3500 calories. You would have tostarve yourself (as in eat NOTHING) to lose 20lbs in 28 days assuming you burnt around 2500 calories a day.
I'm not sure how drinking only shakes is going to improve your relationship towards food, but all the best!

Also, I hope you bought all those supps when the 25% off code was active :laugh:
Reply 5
Original post by In One Ear
Don't really see how that is possible since 1lb of fat~3500 calories. You would have tostarve yourself (as in eat NOTHING) to lose 20lbs in 28 days assuming you burnt around 2500 calories a day.

Time will tell. I'm keeping the log here and will post before/after pics at the end. Well aware of the 3500 calories = 1lb thing, but that's based on all calories being equal. With virtually all my calories coming from protein I'm not sure how efficient the body is.

I'm certainly not starving, I've not been hungry all day today, and will get through ~1700 cals.

Original post by cowsforsale
I'm not sure how drinking only shakes is going to improve your relationship towards food, but all the best!

Also, I hope you bought all those supps when the 25% off code was active :laugh:

A fair few people have commented on it, and it changing their tastes etc, it's an experiment as much as anything else, so we'll see! I'm usually the last person to recommend stuff like this, and I'm not recommending it now. I'm all for the 2lbs/week, whole foods, high protein, etc however an opportunity came up to try it, and I want to get in shape for a ski hol, and figured it'd be an interesting experience if nothing else.

I got them at 15% off, so not so bad. Either way, it's cheaper than a month's food.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
So that's day 2 complete, 5 shakes + post workout shake + 2 spoonfulls of peanut butter just now... Now to bed!

Played a poker game tonight and had people all around me eating chicken goujons, chips with cheese etc, guys teasing me saying "hey want a chip?" etc.. Survived it though.
Superfood XS and Inulin look interesting. Always lacking those things in my diet. Wonder if they work... thanks for the links :wink:
I hope you are finding shakes satiating. I just don't find that with liquid calories unfortuantely.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by silent ninja
Superfood XS and Inulin look interesting. Always lacking those things in my diet. Wonder if they work... thanks for the links :wink:
I hope you are finding shakes satiating. I just don't find that with liquid calories unfortuantely.

The secret is to get a shake with a good casein content, it forms a gel in your stomach, and therefore takes longer to digest which makes you feel satiated for longer - in my case each shake only has to keep me going 2.5 hours, and yesterday when I went to the gym from ~5.30 -> 6.45, I really struggled with having my PWO at 7 and then another shake at 7.30, was hard getting the 7.30 shake down actually. I'm not having any problems with hunger, I get a bit hungry towards my 12pm shake, and if I stay up late I find I get a little hungry at 12am->1am. Other than that, I feel satiated all day - just never full, it's quite a bizarre sensation. Usually when cutting I feel more hunger than this, but typically when I cut I eat just 3 meals a day (so that I can go a bit heavier on the cals in my dinner), which could be the reason.

The only issue with inulin is it can make you a bit gassy.

Wikipedia

Inulin is indigestible by the human enzymes ptyalin and amylase, which are adapted to digest starch. As a result, inulin passes through much of the digestive system intact. It is only in the colon that bacteria metabolise inulin, with the release of significant quantities of carbon dioxide, hydrogen, and/or methane. Inulin-containing foods can be rather gassy, in particular, for those unaccustomed to inulin, and these foods should be consumed in moderation at first.

On this kind of diet I need a fibre supplement though, I figure if I have any problems with that I'll try switching over to apple fibre:

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/apple_fibre

The Superfood XS I recommend to anyone, it doesn't taste too bad and there's a ton of antioxidants / general fruit/veggie goodness in it - especially if you find it hard to get 5-6 portions of fruit/veg a day in.

Day 3 begun anyway, weighed in at 192lbs this morning, 4.6lbs down since my first weigh in, undoubtedly almost all water.

Only issue I'm having is that it's hard to drink enough water to stay fully hydrated - I notice first thing in the morning my mouth is a lot drier than normal, and that I get thirsty quite quickly throughout the day, despite drinking ~2.5 litres of water in my shakes + probably another 2 litres of water on top of that.

Edit: yesterday's gym session:

Squats
40kgx5
50kgx5
60kgx5
70kgx5

Press
25kgx5
35kgx5
40kgx5
46kgx5

Deadlifts
80kgx5
100kgx5
115kgx5
130kgx5

All easy, just slowly working back up to my pb's and such.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Day 3 done, again not too bad. I had some sugar free jelly while everyone was eating dinner tonight, someone recommended it on another forum and thought it was a good idea for those times you just want to "eat" something. Something like 5 cals worth of jelly so doesn't do a jot to my macros.
Reply 10
Start of day 4, weigh 190.8lbs this morning. A gym day today, woke up a bit late, almost going to be hard to cram 6 shakes between now and bed.
Original post by mituozo
Start of day 4, weigh 190.8lbs this morning. A gym day today, woke up a bit late, almost going to be hard to cram 6 shakes between now and bed.

What's your gym routine like? :smile:
Good luck! I hope you achieve what you aim for!
Reply 13
What's your gym routine like? :smile:

Tue:
Bench, Squats, Pull-ups: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 adding 10-15% each set - final set is the same weight as I did for 3 reps on the previous saturday
Thur
Squats: 5, 5, 5, 5 - lighter squats than monday, work up to the weight of monday's 3rd set as a recovery/light session
Military Press, Deadlifts: 5, 5, 5, 5 - same 10-15% ramping up to my work set - work set is 2.5% higher than whatever I worked up to in the previous week
Sat
Bench, Squats, Pull-ups: 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 8 ramp up to a workset of 3 by increasing the weight 10-15% each time, workset of 3 reps is 2.5% higher than the workset I did for 5 reps on Monday. I then go back down to the weight I did for my 3rd set, and do 8 reps to finish.

So I'm adding 2.5% to each lift each week, then when I stall or miss rep targets for 3 weeks in a row I reset by reducing my worksets for the stalled lift by 10%.

I keep track of it all in a spreadsheet, be far too much calculating to do in the gym. It's madcow 5x5, but I'm doing pull-ups at the moment instead of bent-over rows.

My deadlift/squats are a way off their best due to a few tweaks I had end of last year and me slowly working my way back into it. (I'm also very much focussing on my bench, which lags behind - hence putting it first in all my sessions where I bench)

1RM PB's for all the lifts are:
Squats: 140kg
Deadlifts: 185kg
Bench: 90kg
Military Press: 62.5kg
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mituozo
Tue:
Bench, Squats, Pull-ups: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 adding 10-15% each set - final set is the same weight as I did for 3 reps on the previous saturday
Thur
Squats: 5, 5, 5, 5 - lighter squats than monday, work up to the weight of monday's 3rd set as a recovery/light session
Military Press, Deadlifts: 5, 5, 5, 5 - same 10-15% ramping up to my work set - work set is 2.5% higher than whatever I worked up to in the previous week
Sat
Bench, Squats, Pull-ups: 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 8 ramp up to a workset of 3 by increasing the weight 10-15% each time, workset of 3 reps is 2.5% higher than the workset I did for 5 reps on Monday. I then go back down to the weight I did for my 3rd set, and do 8 reps to finish.

So I'm adding 2.5% to each lift each week, then I stall or miss rep targets for 3 weeks in a row I reset by reducing my worksets for the stalled lift by 10%.

I keep track of it all in a spreadsheet, be far too much calculating to do in the gym. It's madcow 5x5, but I'm doing pull-ups at the moment instead of bent-over rows.

Fair enough good program. I thought it was going to be like those typical "I do 4x20 lat pull downs and 4 x30 leg press for my resistance training. Is this any good?" type of workouts lol
Reply 15
Original post by blubimnotafish
Good luck! I hope you achieve what you aim for!

Thanks.

Fair enough good program. I thought it was going to be like those typical "I do 4x20 lat pull downs and 4 x30 leg press for my resistance training. Is this any good?" type of workouts lol

Haha, nah - I've been training for a fair while, with the odd brief break usually due to illness/injury which sucks.
How tall are you btw?

Your weight is dropping fast. Aren't you worried it's gonna affect your lifts and muscle mass. 1lb-2lbs/week is good enough but you're doing well over 1lb/day.
Reply 17
Original post by silent ninja
How tall are you btw?

Your weight is dropping fast. Aren't you worried it's gonna affect your lifts and muscle mass. 1lb-2lbs/week is good enough but you're doing well over 1lb/day.

I'm 5'8, so not particularly tall. Got a fair bit of fat on me at the moment, I'd guess I'm somewhere around 23-25% bf.

I'm not too worried about the weight I'm dropping at the moment, it's mostly water weight. With most the logs of people I've seen usually it slows down to ~3lbs a week by week 3.

You're right though, it'll be interesting to see how much weight the "you shouldn't lose more than 1-2lbs a week when dieting to preserve muscle mass" statement holds when you're doing a high protein cut at a faster rate than that. I've always preached that people should only try to lose 1-2lbs a week max to preserve muscle mass, and part of the reason I'm doing this is to test the theory myself.

Gym session today:
Bench: 5x35kg, 5x45kg, 5x55kg, 5x65kg, 2x77kg 1x77kg assisted, 8x55kg

77kg felt heavy, bit weird - did 75x5 on Tuesday without assistance, so should be able to get 77kg for 3 fairly easy. Perhaps I wasn't quite set up right or the fatigue over the week is responsible. Off the gym now until tuesday, and will attempt 77kgx5 on Tues.

Squats: 5x40kg, 5x52.5kg, 5x62.5kg, 5x72.5kg, 3x85kg, 8x62.5kg
Easy, much below my max squat.

Pull-ups: 5xbw-30kg, 5xbw-20kg, 5xbw-15kg, 5xbw-10kg, 3xbw-5kg, 8xbw-30kg

Pull-ups will no doubt get easier, and as I go through I'm fully expecting to progress to doing them un-assisted + adding weight rather than reducing.

I can probably do 1-3 pull-ups unassisted currently without ramping.

All in all feeling great, I feel less tired than usual, perhaps it's all the vitamins and stuff i'm getting from the shakes that I missed in my poor diet over Christmas.. Was expecting to feel fatigued all the time, but that's not the case at all.

Now I've somehow got to cram in 3 shakes between now and bed...

Tomorrow is my first solid meal on the diet, my 1 per week - having roast chicken with veg & couple roast potatoes - decided to take my sunday roast as my weekly meal. The roast is replacing 2 of my shakes + peanut butter. So just 3 shakes and my roast tomorrow.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Just weighed in this morning, 190.2lbs.. Hopefully into the 180's tomorrow!

Can't wait until my roast chicken later though, going to be the best roast I've ever had probably, hah. Not going to have any desert, and will try to keep it within my 1400kcals for the day when added to my other 3 shakes (so no more than 800kcals).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Start of day 6, was great having a solid meal yesterday. Probably had a couple too many roast potatoes but hey. Decided to just have my one shake + a pretty big roast chicken dinner in the end. Heavier this morning at 192lbs, likely due to gained water weight from the extra salt, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest