The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Minerva
Most people who are still waiting to hear will have been unsuccessful, but not everyone. A few people will be lucky. Cambridge's own guidance indicates that news of direct offers can still be coming out until the 14th -

Of those who will get good news, a small number may have been categorised as 'B', or it may be that the colleges concerned have just taken their time about sending out confirmation of decisions that were made last weekend.

I am happy with post and wish you had taken this line all along instead of trying to be mum.
Reply 4901
Original post by Ivo
She has made it pretty clear that if anyone hasn't heard by now it is probably a rejection but not definitely. She also said there's still a very very small chance of being fished due to people being marked 'B', compared with re-interviews etc. I don't see what the problem is.

I'm not an expert (unlike Minerva and others) in the Cambridge pooling system, but if it helps shed any light, I know of someone who was rejected by their first choice, pooled, re-interviewed elsewhere, rejected by that college - and then out of the blue the first choice college wrote to say they'd take him after all. He was so not expecting it he didn't even open the letter for a day or two, he just assumed it was final confirmation it was all over. I'm not for a minute suggesting this is common, but it happens.
Reply 4902
Original post by Question Mark
I am happy with post and wish you had taken this line all along instead of trying to be mum.

Minerva has never wavered from this line. I'll bet you can't find a single post by Minerva that contradicts this position.
Reply 4903

Also, what does 'trying to be mum' even mean?
Original post by Minerva
As a volunteer moderator on this site for almost four years, I have developed a comprehensive understanding of the university applications system in the UK. Follow the link in my signature for examples of how I use this.

As far as the Cambridge Pool is concerned, I would consider my 'capacity' to be an informal one based on the fact that I have kept track of TSR users' experiences in the Pool every year since 2008, and have personally collated statistics for the last four years (2009-2012). I do not have - nor have I ever claimed to have - any 'inside track' with Cambridge, and I rely on the same published statistics as you do.

However, close involvement with successive cohorts of TSR poolees has meant that I have learned quite a bit about the otherwise undocumented side of the process - for instance which colleges tend to behave in which ways - and thereby gained an understanding of what's likely to be going on behind the scenes. I do not claim to be 'right' in every case and am very happy for someone with insider knowledge I don't have to correct me if the need arises. It doesn't seem to have done so far. It's also not been unknown for Cambridge staff to post incognito in the Pool thread, though I've not seen any evidence of it this year.

Question Mark seems to want me to state flatly that anyone who hasn't heard something by now should have discarded all hope of an offer. That plainly is not the case. Yes, offers will be in the minority, but they are still coming in.

not true. I do not want you to state flatly anything. I simply wanted you present the facts especially regarding the B marking and also your stated view last night where you stated that colleges who are heavy fishers may make offers to applicants who have not been fished else where . total tosh and without evidence or logic.
not true. I do not want you to state flatly anything. I simply wanted you present the facts especially regarding the B marking and also your stated view last night where you stated that colleges who are heavy fishers may make offers to applicants who have not been fished else where . total tosh and without evidence or logic.

Look at the official cambridge statistics... Poolies from colleges like Girton and Robinson have received offers in the pool.
Original post by Stray
Minerva has never wavered from this line. I'll bet you can't find a single post by Minerva that contradicts this position.

look at last nights thread and compare to this morning
Reply 4907
Minerva, please know that you have been flipping fantastic through this. That is all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4908
what is the deficiency in your character that has stopped you getting an offer?

Being an adult computer programmer / textbook writer, rather than an applicant.

(I did get an offer, back in 1994).

Of course I understand how web businesses work, after all, I run some. But to think that a TSR volunteer moderator would 'spin' a line to get a couple of hundred more posts on a site that has traffic amounting to hundreds of thousands of posts is irrational.
Original post by Achilleasrn
Look at the official cambridge statistics... Poolies from colleges like Girton and Robinson have received offers in the pool.

yes and your point is?
almost...almost... makes you want Question Mark to get an offer just to prove the point...
Original post by toomanycats
almost...almost... makes you want Question Mark to get an offer just to prove the point...

lol. please note I am not angry and this is not personal. I have just seen too many people over the last weeo who have had their hopes built up when their chances were silm. still possible but very small chance of gettng an offer. to
Reply 4912
yes and your point is?

Chill.
what is the deficiency in your character that has stopped you getting an offer?

you clearly do not understand how internet businesses work. this site is owned by a private business who want to make money. the more clicks, visits and comments the greater the value. I would not say you are bonkers..... may be lack in intelligence and common sense?

I hope when you have heard the outcome of your application and are a bit less stressed you will reread some of your posts and understand how you came across. If you end up thinking about reapplying you should take to heart the comment about how you might come across at interview. There is no doubt some people don't get offers because they annoy the interviewers and come across as argumentative or arrogant.

I am in my final year and like Minerva come on this forum partly out of interest and partly in the hope that I can help if I give factual advice rather than biased or prejudiced opinions. (I'm not commenting on your opinions at all here, just that some posters are apt to peddle myths and false stories.) I have never seen Minerva say anything that is untrue and perhaps maturity has helped her to understand that you can still be sensitive and courteous without doing so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4914
Original post by oldlady
I'm not an expert (unlike Minerva and others) in the Cambridge pooling system, but if it helps shed any light, I know of someone who was rejected by their first choice, pooled, re-interviewed elsewhere, rejected by that college - and then out of the blue the first choice college wrote to say they'd take him after all. He was so not expecting it he didn't even open the letter for a day or two, he just assumed it was final confirmation it was all over. I'm not for a minute suggesting this is common, but it happens.
I'd have loved to have been there when he finally did open it. Or when he checked Track for something else and found his Cambridge offer just sitting there!

Thanks for the story - it neatly illustrates how pooling colleges do have room for maneouvre with their own applicants and how, just very occasionally, this translates into unexpected good news for someone.

Original post by JKA17
Minerva, please know that you have been flipping fantastic through this. That is all.

Too kind :o: - but thanks :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Colmans
I hope when you have heard the outcome of your application and are a bit less stressed you will reread some of your posts and understand how you came across. If you end up thinking about reapplying you should take to heart the comment about how you might come across at interview. There is no doubt some people don't get offers because they annoy the interviewers and come across as argumentative or arrogant.

I am in my final year and like Minerva come on this forum partly out of interest and partly in the hope that I can help if I give factual advice rather than biased or prejudiced opinions. (I'm not commenting on your opinions at all here, just that some posters are apt to peddle myths and false stories.) I have never seen Minerva say anything that is untrue and perhaps maturity has helped her to understand that you can still be sensitive and courteous without doing so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

please understand I am not angry or upset at Cambridge or Minerva.

my belief is that Minerva has presented facts (especially last night) that are misleading and basically wrong.

I am entitled to my opinion and should be allowed to express without an attack by people like Stray on my character. Or even you persuming to know how I come across in an interview.

if it annoys people that I believe Minerva should have presented the real reality to candidates better then tough.

I am also getting warnings etc. if this is this companies way to shut me up then go ahead I accept it.

but I will not be bullied by anyone and stopped from expressing my view.

my belief is that Minerva has presented facts (especially last night) that are misleading and basically wrong.

I am entitled to my opinion and should be allowed to express without an attack by people like Stray on my character. Or even you persuming to know how I come across in an interview.

if it annoys people that I believe Minerva should have presented the real reality to candidates better then tough.

I am also getting warnings etc. if this is this companies way to shut me up then go ahead I accept it.

But your point of view is ridiculous and has no evidence to support itself (I challenge you to go and find a quote from her that is wrong). That is why people are responding.

You are also conveying your point in a rather rude manner. Whilst saying that "Minerva I think that you shouldn't give so much hope to applicants now" is okay, calling people out and attacking them is not.

I think you're underestimating the amount of time and effort that goes into not only running the thread and responding to questions, but also collecting and sorting through the statistics. It just seems extremely ungrateful.

Do yourself a favour and stop, now. You're not improving your image.
Original post by Llewellyn
But your point of view is ridiculous and has no evidence to support itself (I challenge you to go and find a quote from her that is wrong). That is why people are responding.

You are also conveying your point in a rather rude manner. Whilst saying that "Minerva I think that you shouldn't give so much hope to applicants now" is okay, calling people out and attacking them is not.

I think you're underestimating the amount of time and effort that goes into not only running the thread and responding to questions, but also collecting and sorting through the statistics. It just seems extremely ungrateful.

go and read last nights thread. you are entitled to your view. I disagree with it ...... does this make me rude?

I have estimated or underestimated anything. I am free to comment in terms of my opinion on performance.

We should be careful when people want to stop a discussion by saying it is rude because it simply goes against their view.
Original post by Minerva
Most people who are still waiting to hear will have been unsuccessful, but not everyone. A few people will be lucky. Cambridge's own guidance indicates that news of direct offers can still be coming out until the 14th -

Of those who will get good news, a small number may have been categorised as 'B', or it may be that the colleges concerned have just taken their time about sending out confirmation of decisions that were made last weekend.

Hey, i was wondering, if I already received my letter from selwyn, stating that I've been pooled and that I drowned, does that mean no other colleges will consider it like someone's story above?

I'm an international applicant by the way :smile:

Thank you in advance

Latest

Trending

Trending