The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4920
Original post by thebadboy761
Hey, i was wondering, if I already received my letter from selwyn, stating that I've been pooled and that I drowned, does that mean no other colleges will consider it like someone's story above?

I'm an international applicant by the way :smile:

Thank you in advance
Yes, I'm afraid it does. In the story above, it was the applicant's preference college that took him on. In your case, your preference college has already made a final decision not to make you an offer.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Do yourself a favour and stop, now. You're not improving your image.

thank you for your advice. my views are more important yo me than my image.

all I am doing now (and enjoying it) is simply answering pointless comments expressed to me like yours.
Original post by Question Mark
go and read last nights thread. you are entitled to your view. I disagree with it ...... does this make me rude?
No. You are rude because of the way you went about stating your opinion. If you think that Minerva should be much more clear about people's chances then that's okay - there's nothing intrinsically wrong about that. You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to insult people or criticize them because you disagree - that goes above and beyond stating a viewpoint and starts to become rude.

And your opinion is wrong. People are still receiving offers, and I expect there is going to be an influx of offers in the next few days from those that have been re-interviewed or those that are still under consideration without re-interview. It would be wrong of Minerva to say that people have no chance at all now, because they still have a chance.
Reply 4923
I disagree with it ...... does this make me rude?

Regardless of the content, your tone of (written) voice was rude. Several people have independently advised you that it was rude, and that you are coming across badly.

You also wrote me an even ruder reply about 45 minutes ago, but deleted it quickly or it was deleted by mods - I'm assuming the first.

Your intention may not have been to be rude, but that is certainly how it read.
go and read last nights thread. you are entitled to your view. I disagree with it ...... does this make me rude?

Disagreeing doesn't. What does is insulting someone's intelligence like you did to Stray, or insinuating that there is some conspiracy Minerva is giving hopes to people in order to improve hits and revenue on TSR, when she is clearly just a volunteer. It is both rude and ungrateful.

I have estimated or underestimated anything. I am free to comment in terms of my opinion on performance.

We should be careful when people want to stop a discussion by saying it is rude because it simply goes against their view.

You might think it's simply going against your view, but actually it's hurtful and everybody is right in saying you should stop. It's weird how it's always the obnoxious that brandies free speech about :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Llewellyn
No. You are rude because of the way you went about stating your opinion. If you think that Minerva should be much more clear about people's chances then that's okay - there's nothing intrinsically wrong about that. You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to insult people or criticize them because you disagree - that goes above and beyond stating a viewpoint and starts to become rude.

And your opinion is wrong. People are still receiving offers, and I expect there is going to be an influx of offers in the next few days from those that have been re-interviewed or those that are still under consideration without re-interview. It would be wrong of Minerva to say that people have no chance at all now, because they still have a chance.

apart from Stray who was very rude to me I do not believe I have been rude to anyone.... prove it?

who have I insultef apart from the troll Stray.

you don't like what I am ssying so you call it rude and insulting. I don't agree with what you say but accept thst is your opinion snd you are entitled to it.
Hi guys, I've just had my reinterview for chem eng via engineering (the interview was just engineering and I'm assessed against engineering applicants).

It went well and was totally technical, the guy actually said quite frankly I don't really care about your hobbies, this interview is just gonna be technical :biggrin: lol

The main thing that COMPLETELY threw me at the start was the that as soon as I sat down he said the engineering applicants were being interviewed for 2014 so if I got the offer it would be deferred!! I'm not fussed by this as Cambridge now is the same Cambridge a year later and engineers often take a gap year, but it was just really surprising that all their interviews for engineering were for deferred offers!

I'll see what the outcome is, I'm praying it's good and I seriously wish all fish that have been interviewed and those still swimming the best of luck. This process has thrown so much at us from every single angle and for most of us it is the first major kind of rejection we've ever really had. Whatever it put is through I have learned so much, grown as a person and learnt never never to stop fighting and there is always another boat to catch if we miss the first one. The pool is something that people don't know how it feels until you are in it and we can always take the lessons we have learnt from this experience to be able to cope with other tough situations in the future.

Go fishes!!!!!!!!!!
apart from Stray who was very rude to me I do not believe I have been rude to anyone.... prove it?

you don't like what I am ssying so you call it rude and insulting. I don't agree with what you say but accept thst is your opinion snd you are entitled to it.

I would say baselessly questioning whether Minerva has ulterior motives is frankly quite rude, when she has spent so much of her own time in helping others. Worse is the fact that you appeared to do so simply because you disagreed with her.
Original post by ukdragon37
Disagreeing doesn't. Insulting someone's intelligence like you did to Stray, or insinuating that there is some conspiracy Minerva is giving hopes to people in order to improve hits and revenue on TSR is, when she is clearly just a volunteer. It is both rude and ungrateful.

You might think it's simply going against your view, but actually it's hurtful and everybody is right in saying you should stop. It's weird how it's always the obnoxious that brandies free speech about :rolleyes:

Strays response was very insulting to me ... but no one commented on this.

my response to Stray was deleted by the mods because I questioned his/her intelligence.

this person is not an applicant or a parent and had an offer in 1994.
Original post by Minerva
Yes, I'm afraid it does. In the story above, it was the applicant's preference college that took him on. In your case, your preference college has already made a final decision not to make you an offer.

That is a really sad thing.

It said your application for Law was pooled but neither Selwyn nor any other colleges was in the end able to offer you a place.

Anyways thank you

ARGHHH

LSE FTW

oh and please add me to the drowned list :P

applied for Law, open app then assigned to Selwyn. Thanks!
I would say baselessly questioning whether Minerva has ulterior motives is frankly quite rude, when she has spent so much of her own time in helping others. Worse is the fact that you appeared to do so simply because you disagreed with her.

who questioned what? your opinio and your entitled.
Reply 4931
Original post by cath1509
Hi guys, I've just had my reinterview for chem eng via engineering (the interview was just engineering and I'm assessed against engineering applicants).

It went well and was totally technical, the guy actually said quite frankly I don't really care about your hobbies, this interview is just gonna be technical :biggrin: lol

The main thing that COMPLETELY threw me at the start was the that as soon as I sat down he said the engineering applicants were being interviewed for 2014 so if I got the offer it would be deferred!! I'm not fussed by this as Cambridge now is the same Cambridge a year later and engineers often take a gap year, but it was just really surprising that all their interviews for engineering were for deferred offers!

I'll see what the outcome is, I'm praying it's good and I seriously wish all fish that have been interviewed and those still swimming the best of luck. This process has thrown so much at us from every single angle and for most of us it is the first major kind of rejection we've ever really had. Whatever it put is through I have learned so much, grown as a person and learnt never never to stop fighting and there is always another boat to catch if we miss the first one. The pool is something that people don't know how it feels until you are in it and we can always take the lessons we have learnt from this experience to be able to cope with other tough situations in the future.

Go fishes!!!!!!!!!!

SO glad it went well! Hopefully you will be able to have a gap year and then go to Cambridge, like the original plan :smile:
Strays response was very insulting to me ... but no one commented on this.

Probably because she wasn't coming across as very obnoxious when she responded? And it was in a context where what she said was sense, unlike how you were being constantly argumentative. In any case personally I didn't find what she said that insulting, and I suspect neither does the rest of us.

my response to Stray was deleted by the mods because I questioned his/her intelligence.

I'm sure what she said to you either initially or back was much less insulting than that.

this person is not an applicant or a parent and had an offer in 1994.

Neither am I and I got an offer in 2009. Neither is Minerva, or in fact Colmans or TimmonaPortella.

who questioned what? your opinio and your entitled.

And we are entitled to say you are acting in a very unwelcome way in this thread and you should stop. We aren't going to force you, but it's plain to everyone you are spewing nonsense.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4933

I don't believe I was rude to you. I called you out on your own rudeness and pointed out that if you were rude at interview it wouldn't have helped your chances. I'm sorry if you are embarrassed to have that highlighted, but it doesn't make me a troll. The fact that many people are in agreement that you were rude should be making you stop and think. I was just the first to mention it.

In the post that you deleted you wrongly assumed that I am not a parent of an applicant. I am, but he had to withdraw his application for 2013, to defer for a year, because of serious health issues.

I also help people with STEP, hence my interest in this thread - I've had exchanges with many maths and physics applicants who are now waiting to find out their fate.

Not tolerating the random rude abuse of moderators on the forum is not trolling.
Probably because she wasn't coming across as very obnoxious when she responded? And it was in a context where what she said was sense, unlike how you were being constantly argumentative. In any case personally I didn't find what she said that insulting, and I suspect neither does the rest of us.

I'm sure what she said to you either initially or back was much less insulting than that.

Neither am I and I got an offer in 2009. Neither is Minerva, or in fact Colmans or TimmonaPortella.

thank you for taking on the role of deciding what is rude and what is insulting. if someone has an opinion that contradicts yours or your mates then I guess it is rude?

I guess I am talking to the thought police? sorry is that rude?
Original post by Stray
In the post that you deleted you wrongly assumed that I am not a parent of an applicant. I am, but he had to withdraw his application for 2013, to defer for a year, because of serious health issues.

I'm sorry to hear that :frown:

Of course there is nothing wrong with being on here if you aren't a parent or applicant. Otherwise how could current offer-holders and students (Minerva included) come on here and give advice and support?
This thread is intended to be a supportive environment for applicants who have been pooled. Aggressive or offensive posting will not be tolerated, and neither will off-topic arguments. There are people here who need help and support, so please allow them to get this by keeping the tone of the thread friendly and controlled. Posts have already been removed and further action will be taken if you do not keep a lid on it. Thank you :smile:
Reply 4937
Original post by cath1509

Go fishes!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the feedback - interesting about the deferred offers - there's a bit in the Pool guidance about engineers often wanting to defer when they've found an internship or placement. Here's hoping for positive news soon!

Original post by thebadboy761
That is a really sad thing.

It said your application for Law was pooled but neither Selwyn nor any other colleges was in the end able to offer you a place.

Anyways thank you

ARGHHH

LSE FTW

oh and please add me to the drowned list :P

applied for Law, open app then assigned to Selwyn. Thanks!
Added as requested.

It has been known for people to turn down Cambridge to go to LSE, so you've got a first-class alternative there.
Original post by Minerva
I'm not sure can do this - Cambridge says somewhere that they don't consider people currently enrolled as students at other universities.

But you are right about not being able to carry forward offers from this year and re-apply next year, even if the unis concerned agree to defer your place. This would still mean that it counts as being part of this cycle, and you can't apply in the next one without cancelling everything from it.

Thank you and thanks for this thread it really helped alot:smile: Last question I promise, when will it be acceptable to request feedback on my rejection? Thanks!
It's a shame there's some arguing here, before the internet we'd never have the fantastic support that Minvera has given us (thank you very much!) and the community spirit that developed because we were all in the same position!

I realise at the tail end of the applications its stressful for many people (with rejections increasing) but life sorts itself out, everyone here is intelligent and everyone here will get a great job/uni slot if they work hard so try and look at the glass being half full :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending