The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Geography - Global Challenges - 14/01/2013

How do you revise for this? I'm not exactly sure, apart from past papers, I'm just reading from the text book but it's not really sinking in.

Anyways who else is sitting this exam? and are you confident about it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am sitting it,

Its a lot of content to cover!! 60%!
Why would they do that for our first AS exam and our first AS term!?

But anyway, I am doing past papers too, I do the past paper, mark it, read the examiner report (very helpful) and make notes on the topics i was weak in...
Oh and i try to familiarize with keywords

How much are you doing each day of geography revision?
Reply 2
Original post by amood00
I am sitting it,

Its a lot of content to cover!! 60%!
Why would they do that for our first AS exam and our first AS term!?

But anyway, I am doing past papers too, I do the past paper, mark it, read the examiner report (very helpful) and make notes on the topics i was weak in...
Oh and i try to familiarize with keywords

How much are you doing each day of geography revision?

Oh right that sounds pretty good actually, I might do that, Thanks!

And I was planning to do around 1-2 hours per day? What about you?
Reply 3
What's everyone getting on past papers? Lowest I've got so far is 54, highest 72.
Original post by QPRboy
What's everyone getting on past papers? Lowest I've got so far is 54, highest 72.

About the same marks as you, how many papers have you done?
Reply 5
Original post by recurring500
About the same marks as you, how many papers have you done?

3 or 4 I think. Still need to remember the case studies, that's the toughest part for me!
Reply 6
bump... exam not that far way!
Reply 7
where are you guys finding mark schemes? I'm not finding the edexcel website very useful :L.
Reply 8
Original post by 06ypicto
where are you guys finding mark schemes? I'm not finding the edexcel website very useful :L.

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/geography/Pages/default.aspx

Just click 'mark schemes' and on that long confusing list, Find the month and year you've done and it should say 'Unit 1-Global challenges' to the right of it..that's the one. and Download!
Reply 9
Original post by QPRboy
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/geography/Pages/default.aspx

Just click 'mark schemes' and on that long confusing list, Find the month and year you've done and it should say 'Unit 1-Global challenges' to the right of it..that's the one. and Download!

Thank you! :biggrin:
Has anyone got any advice for the 10 and 15 markers at the end of the paper? I seem to do okay in the latter and then mess up the longer answers.. any advice?
Reply 11
Original post by tssf_skye
Has anyone got any advice for the 10 and 15 markers at the end of the paper? I seem to do okay in the latter and then mess up the longer answers.. any advice?

This is what I was told.
The 10 marker you'll base on the resource booklet, and your own knowledge of things. You may also have to use some relevant facts and figures.

For the 15 marker, You have to have memorised about 5 facts from each case study you've learnt in the course, and the question should be to do with one of the case studies, if it is then read what the question tells you to do, answer it while simply showing off with all the relevant dates, facts and figures that you know from the relevant case study.

Oh and was told to always plan before the 10 and 15 marker. Underline the command word e.g. 'explain' and rewrite the question in a simpler form, and then draw a spider diagram to plan, and then quickly plan what will go in each paragraph.

Hope this helps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by QPRboy
How do you revise for this? I'm not exactly sure, apart from past papers, I'm just reading from the text book but it's not really sinking in.

Anyways who else is sitting this exam? and are you confident about it?

I find it really hard to revise Global Challenges. I've been going through all the big essay questions and going through and looking at how I would answer them. And Which I would answer.

With the course I feel like I have a really good knowledge of it already - but on Sunday I'm going to go other things I can't remember etc etc, plus do my traditional Past Paper the night before as a little good luck thingy.
I've used the CGP revision book, as well as my class notes to revise.

Do lots of past papers. I've done 18 of the 10 and 15 mark questions. It sounds extreme, but it works, it's a good way of learning the technique needed.

Also, if timing isn't one of your best skills (it isn't one of mine) you can bullet point the answers in Section A. My teachers have been examiners in past years and said it's fine, plus it saves a lot of time. Don't do it on the essay questions otherwise you'll be limiting yourself in the number of marks you can get (8 for the 10 mark and 12 for the 15 mark).

I'd say (if you can), take it easy this weekend. I'm just focusing on statistics for the case studies this weekend.
Reply 14
I'm dreading this exam, i'm great on the case studies but not very good on the other stuff :frown:
Reply 15
This will be the THIRD time I'm taking this exam (I'm an A2 student).
First time round I got a D which as you can imagine I wasn't best pleased with.
Second time I got a B which I was actually quite happy with, I really struggle in Geography exams but I have quite good knowledge (i suck at answering questions and writing answers).
Then my teacher said she wants me to have another go in the hopes of getting an A!
The exam is on Monday and I feel so stressed what with my other exams.
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeErrrrrrrrgh.
I'm just going to spend this weekend thoroughly going through case studies and doing past papers. Anyone got any other revision strategies?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Could someone post a list of all the case studies that they've learnt for this exam? I need a few more examples.
Original post by Daaanz
Could someone post a list of all the case studies that they've learnt for this exam? I need a few more examples.

There's 4 compulsory ones for Human and for Physical.

For Physical, it's two disaster hotspots (California and The Philippines) and two climate change (Arctic and Africa).

As for Human, I think the compulsory ones are Spain and UK (migration) and Los Angeles and Mumbai (megacities).

You can also do additional ones e.g. Australian Bushfires 2009 if El Niño comes up, Boxing Day Tsunami 2004 if geophysical hazards come up etc.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 18
Stupid question, but is this a morning or afternoon exam? I've lost my exam schedule thing :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by 06ypicto
Stupid question, but is this a morning or afternoon exam? I've lost my exam schedule thing :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Afternoon 1pm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending