The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4960
Original post by KD35
@Minerva or anyone else that can help

How many people reapply each year and are your chances reduced at all if you're applying for a second time?

Hi - when I was looking into this for my daughter I couldn't find anything concrete. There are figures about chances of success dependent upon age at entry, roughly the same whether you are 18 or 19 (but you can't assume most 19 year olds are reapplicants or guess at the make up of that group, first time applicants, deferred places etc).

As I mentioned earlier, check each college approach to reapplicants and then aim for at least 2 A*s. For my daughter her experience was completely different to her first attempt. She had her A levels results and knew what to expect from the interviews so went in with a different mindset. She is also loving her year out. However she didn't decide to do it until after her results. Like most of you here she also had offers from other great unis and I am sure she would have been very happy if she had gone to her second choice and her career prospects would probably be the same. I think for her it was just the place and wanting to prove that she could do it and that is why she tried again.

I would say think on it for a few months, concentrate on your exams, coursework and revision and see how things go. You don't have to make a decision now.
Reply 4961
Original post by honggau
My preference college said they sent the letters for my course yesterday but why the hell is it not in the post today? ;___; All I want is a closure, I accept it as a rejection already, fine but I want to read the letter, to hear from the tutors :frown: Why??? Oh now it will be Monday and I won't even have time for grief because I got exams on Tuesday. Great!

Which college is it? :frown:
Reply 4962
Original post by .Username.
Any news from anyone who got pooled by girton?

Nope i still havent heard anything since last fri :/ what subject did you apply for? I applied for maths
Reply 4963
Original post by Sharpeyj
Which college is it? :frown:

St John :frown:

This limbo state reallyyyy sucks!! Now track doesn't update as well :frown: Just want to put an end to it you know....
I'm quite late posting this news, but yesterday I received my official rejection letter from Pembroke (having applied to study English Lit.).
I know lots of people have called this 'drowning' but more than anything I feel like this is actually freeing me from the stress and strain of the last week. I'm debating reapplying, but I'm so happy to have an offer from Durham, a fantastic university.
I don't regret applying to Cambridge, and this whole pooling system has probably helped me deal with the rejection better than if I'd been rejected straight away - I want to thank Minerva and all of you guys, as reading all of your posts (and I mean all of them) was the most therapeutic thing for me during a tense time.

Good luck to all of you, wherever you swim off to - I'm personally off to single handedly eat a toblerone and watch back-to-back Fresh Meat.. xxxxxxx
Reply 4965
Original post by sandergansen
How many fishies do we still have swimming?

I'm a little fishy who has nearly stopped caring about Cambridge because she's so fed up with this pool :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4966
Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
I seriously can't! Well I can, because I guess I have to be :frown:

Gonville and Caius, you're Girton right? Yeah same! AQA right? Just about to start a past paper now...

How do you think your reinterview went?

Yep, Girton! Nope OCR, they're on the same day apparently :smile:
Mhmm I need to do one this eve, I went to see Les Mis today so I lost an afternoon :tongue: Worth it though!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4967
Original post by GeeGee3
Oh yh knowing them they will be slow!...n awh that sucks! Im lucky i dont have any jan mods this year but then the pressure is gonna be so high in june, esp with STEP papers too :/ what uni r u thinking of going to if u dont get an offer from cam!

Ah yeah wow, a lot of pressure for June! Will you still of STEP if you don't get an offer?
I've got offers from UCL & Warwick so I'd pick UCL from the two for joint maths and physics :smile: And you?
So I'm a long-time thread stalker who's been feeling guilty about not adding to the pool (pun intended) of statistics... hence, here goes: Jesus poolee, NatSci Phys, international applicant so no re-interview. No contact whatsoever since my pooling letter which I got exactly on time (i.e. 4th Jan). Also wanted to thank all the contributors to this thread, especially the mods, for helping preserve my sanity for the past week :smile:
Hi Minerva or anyone else kind enough to offer information:

My son has been pooled by Trinity (for Phys NatSci) and is still waiting. I’ve seen on this thread their has been one notification of a rejection from Trinity for a Phys NatSci candidate and quite a few other rejections from Trinity for other subjects and other college rejections for NatSci.

Do you think that this is an indication of one of the following…

(a)being under consideration by other colleges? Such as being in the infamous ‘B’ category.

(b)Trinity are reviewing against interviewees

(c) Trinity are being slow or another college is being slow at indicating an offer/rejection

(d) Are there any other scenarios?

Thanks for all the help provided on this community.

For all candidates: if it doesn't work out for you life is not always fair but time is a great healer. I wish you all the success in the world whatever the outcomes are. You can be truly proud of what you have achieved.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4970
Original post by honggau
St John :frown:

This limbo state reallyyyy sucks!! Now track doesn't update as well :frown: Just want to put an end to it you know....

I know :frown: I feel your pain, although at this stage it is less pain more just numbness and feeling fed up of the whole process! (I haven't heard yet either- Selwyn)
Original post by Minerva
As a volunteer moderator on this site for almost four years, I have developed a comprehensive understanding of the university applications system in the UK. Follow the link in my signature for examples of how I use this.

As far as the Cambridge Pool is concerned, I would consider my 'capacity' to be an informal one based on the fact that I have kept track of TSR users' experiences in the Pool every year since 2008, and have personally collated statistics for the last four years (2009-2012). I do not have - nor have I ever claimed to have - any 'inside track' with Cambridge, and I rely on the same published statistics as you do.

However, close involvement with successive cohorts of TSR poolees has meant that I have learned quite a bit about the otherwise undocumented side of the process - for instance which colleges tend to behave in which ways - and thereby gained an understanding of what's likely to be going on behind the scenes. I do not claim to be 'right' in every case and am very happy for someone with insider knowledge I don't have to correct me if the need arises. It doesn't seem to have done so far. It's also not been unknown for Cambridge staff to post incognito in the Pool thread, though I've not seen any evidence of it this year.

Question Mark seems to want me to state flatly that anyone who hasn't heard something by now should have discarded all hope of an offer. That plainly is not the case. Yes, offers will be in the minority, but they are still coming in.

Thank you for all of your hard work. I do not think that it is fair or reasonable that your motives are being called into question.

As mentioned before, my daughter was pooled and didn't hear a word until her direct offer (dated the 10th) arrived in the post this morning (the 11th). She is a local mature and affiliated student. I assume that they are dealt with later than traditional applicants.

Your take that offers are possible but decreasing in likelihood seems to be spot on after following this thread anxiously over the last few days.
Reply 4972
Original post by Fishing4answers

My son has been pooled by Trinity (for Phys NatSci) and is still waiting. I’ve seen on this thread their has been one notification of a rejection from Trinity for a Phys NatSci candidate and quite a few other rejections from Trinity for other subjects and other college rejections for NatSci.

(a)being under consideration by other colleges? Such as being in the infamous ‘B’ category.

(c) Trinity are being slow or another college is being slow at indicating an offer/rejection

It's impossible to say because if another college has marked him 'B', they may not finish interviewing until Monday (because they can fit interviews around exams if required).

But I think you are correct that there aren't any other scenarios.

You could interpret the fact that Trinity has responded with rejections to others as being a sign that he does have a B mark, but it's also possible that they put the letter in the post on Friday and it just hasn't arrived yet.

So - no news is just... no news I'm afraid.
Reply 4973
Original post by thebadboy761
I got a real letter for the being pooled one -.- 7 days late
and i got the rejection letter through email, they scanned it and attached it lol on that day.

best of luck! Avenge us!

Ah ok!! Thanks, but I'm content with the fact my rejection letter will be coming soon :frown: thanks for your help, I'm sure you will do great wherever you go :smile:
Reply 4974
Original post by Fishing4answers

Thanks for all the help provided on this community.

For all candidates: if it doesn't work out for you life is not always fair but time is a great healer. I wish you all the success in the world whatever the outcomes are. You can be truly of what you have achieved.
Any of the above might apply, then again the (d) scenario could be simply that a letter has gone astray. If nothing comes in by the end of next week - which is unlikely but possible - an email to the college would be reasonable.

I get the impression that Nat Sci is one of the trickier subjects to sort out across the university, because of the numbers involved, so it could be (and if his decision letter arrived on time, I might, given that others from the same college have already heard that they've been unsuccessful, hold on to a glimmer of hope here) that he is still on a pending list somewhere. Even if that is the case, it's impossible to say how much of a chance there is that this will translate into an offer, but it will be small.
This thread is rather reassuring. I'm sure all of us fish feel panicked, but knowing that there are more of us who haven't heard anything since the 4th calms me a little. Hang on in there guys, we're all in this together!
Reply 4976
drowned by peterhouse for phys nat sci... oh well. i can get on with my revision without too much distraction now!
Original post by Stray
It's impossible to say because if another college has marked him 'B', they may not finish interviewing until Monday (because they can fit interviews around exams if required).

But I think you are correct that there aren't any other scenarios.

You could interpret the fact that Trinity has responded with rejections to others as being a sign that he does have a B mark, but it's also possible that they put the letter in the post on Friday and it just hasn't arrived yet.

So - no news is just... no news I'm afraid.

Thank you. Fingers crossed!
Reply 4978
Original post by Sharpeyj
I know :frown: I feel your pain, although at this stage it is less pain more just numbness and feeling fed up of the whole process! (I haven't heard yet either- Selwyn)

Haha exactly! I don't feel anything anymore. I've already accepted it's a rejection but I just hate the fact they left us here and ignored us like this :frown: It'd be much better if we have some kind of online system where we can see which college is viewing our application and get the update of our application status. Oh well.
Original post by Minerva
Any of the above might apply, then again the (d) scenario could be simply that a letter has gone astray. If nothing comes in by the end of next week - which is unlikely but possible - an email to the college would be reasonable.

I get the impression that Nat Sci is one of the trickier subjects to sort out across the university, because of the numbers involved, so it could be (and if his decision letter arrived on time, I might, given that others from the same college have already heard that they've been unsuccessful, hold on to a glimmer of hope here) that he is still on a pending list somewhere. Even if that is the case, it's impossible to say how much of a chance there is that this will translate into an offer, but it will be small.

Thank you - me too, it must be a very busy time for the University sorting this out. I thought Trinity were very efficient in sending out Winter pool confirmation via letter and followed up via email too.

Latest

Trending

Trending