The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5000
Original post by questingvole
However, if I was asking for feedback I wouldn't just ask for general feedback, but would try to get some sense of chances on reapplication. So I would definitely ask for a ranking versus other people and a view on whether a reapplication would be worth it and what would be necessary to make it succeed. That way you are more likely to get useful information, although even then you might not get very much.

My understanding is that they won't give you this kind of feedback except under very specific circumstances. They know that you have probably got other offers from other universities and don't want to do or say anything that might be the basis of you giving up a place at university this year only to fail to get in to Cam again next year.

No matter how close you were this year, it may be that next year the cohort for your subject is peculiarly gifted and you don't even get near to a place. They have a duty to that cohort to begin the assessment process again. Nothing from this year is held over other than under the deferred offers system.

The admissions officer at the college we visited specifically covered this in the Q&A with parents. She also said that in cases (which are rare) where they would have taken you if only <insert small detail> they will give you a deferred offer with a relevant condition.

So - while your feedback might give you reason to consider reapplying (for example if your UMS at AS wasn't quite high enough, and you nail your A2s), it's almost certain that they won't give you any hints with regard to reapplying.
Hello fellow fish and lovely advisers!

This is my first time actually posting on this very helpful thread, despite having been checking it once a day for reassurance that there are still others swimming!
However now I really would appreciate some advice as I still have heard nothing.

I applied to do Education with physical sciences (physics) at Downing college. I absolutely love the course but unfortunately Cambridge is the only place in the country that offers this combination of doing physics with humanities (apart from physics with philosophy which I did not think would suit me when I was doing my UCAS).
This leaves me horribly reliant on receiving an offer from Cambridge as it was the only place I applied to - certainly not because of any kind of arrogance and mis-placed certainty that I would gain a place, but due to the fact that it didn't make sense to apply for other courses when my personal statement wouldn't be relevant. Looking back on it now this decision seems so silly.
Anyway, judging by this thread, other Education-ers have been fished out by Homerton fairly early on. Does this mean that because I haven't heard anything for a very small course that is only accepted for at around half the colleges (including only 1 all-female - which would be relevant to me) there is zilch chance of being fished out this late?
It's not the end of the world if I don't get made an offer but it would mean that I'd have to take a gap year that I've never wanted.
My predicted grades are great, as are my GCSE results and I came out feeling relatively happy with my interviews despite little-to-no preparation from my college beforehand. Why don't they want to take me dammit?!
Sorry, if I sound mildly hysterical just feeling a little despressed at the moment and would really appreciate someone giving me some advice and a gentle shake!
Thank you very muchly in advance!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JKA17
x

hehe. I thought Starfish sounded cool... Even though we were fish... we could still be stars :colondollar:
Original post by silver*linings

This is my first time actually posting on this very helpful thread, despite having been checking it once a day for reassurance that there are still others swimming!
However now I really would appreciate some advice as I still have heard nothing on the outcome of my application.

I applied to do Education with physical sciences (physics) at Downing college. I absolutely love the course but unfortunately Cambridge is the only place in the country that offers this combination of doing physics with humanities (apart from physics with philosophy which I did not think would suit me when I was doing my UCAS).
This leaves me horribly reliant on receiving an offer from Cambridge as it was the only place I applied to - certainly not because of any kind of arrogance and mis-placed certainty that I would gain a place, but due to the fact that it didn't make sense to apply for other courses when my personal statement wouldn't be relevant. Looking back on it now this decision seems so silly. Anyway, judging by this thread, other Education-ers have been fished out by Homerton fairly early on. Does this mean that because I haven't heard anything for a very small course that is only accepted for at around half the colleges (including only 1 all-female - which would be relevant to me) there is zilch chance of being fished out this late?
It's not the end of the world if I don't get made an offer but it would mean that I'd have to take a gap year that I've never wanted.
My predicted grades are great, as are my GCSE results and I came out feeling relatively happy with my interviews despite little-to-no preparation from my college beforehand. What's wrong with me?!
Sorry, if I sound mildly hysterical just feeling a little despondent at the moment and would really appreciate someone giving me some advice and a gentle shake!

There's nothing wrong with you at all!! But you have to realise that applying to Cambridge is tough and for the majority of people apart from the wiz kids, there is always a high probabilty of being rejected due to the calibre of students. Being pooled/rejected is nothing unusual for a good applicant as it happens SO frequently as you've probably gathered from the thread.

It's not the best sign in the world that you've heard nothing yet but that doesn't mean you've drowned yet as it is possible that you could still get an offer. But I know some people have e-mailed their college asking to be put out of their misery and the college has e-mailed them back, so if you REALLY want to know you can try that...

Not gonna lie, it was pretty silly only applying to Cambridge as for the reasons I mentioned in the first paragraph. But if you do get rejected you will have to take a gap year and next year apply to other unis too and also take you Cambridge experience with you to hopefully be successful on your second application. I know a lot of people who are!

Of course if you get the a letter offering you a place then you can ignore the paragraph above :P

And good luck with everything :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5004
snip

When the pool opens chance where about 30% on average. By now it is probably well below 10%.
Reply 5005
Original post by PD1
Would anybody ring today? I've just seen my phone and had 3 blocked numbers and missed them all! I doubt it is Cambridge but does anyone think they're calling still? Minerva-what do you think?
Thank you
I rather doubt it, to be honest.
Reply 5006
Original post by mucgoo
When the pool opens chance where about 30% on average. By now it is probably well below 10%.

i would avoid using percentages to represent someone's chance in the pool as they seem to give the wrong impression. true 30% of people got offers but that doesn't mean everyone had a 30% chance of being made one. obviously it varies depending on course, grades etc. :smile:
Original post by 3_14159_maths27
I got pooled from Emmanuel for maths, and it drove me crazy constantly checking for post or emails.
But I got an offer from Pembroke!!! Wasn't expecting that. I'm so pleased, and it means my whole family isn't stressed anymore. However - A*AAA 1,1 for an offer! Possible, but I'll have to work really hard.

Congratulations! Pembroke has been really popular this year (at least amongst people on this website).

You might want to check out the STEP Prep Thread (the first two posts are long but hopefully useful to you :smile: )
Reply 5008

This leaves me horribly reliant on receiving an offer from Cambridge as it was the only place I applied to - certainly not because of any kind of arrogance and mis-placed certainty that I would gain a place, but due to the fact that it didn't make sense to apply for other courses when my personal statement wouldn't be relevant. Looking back on it now this decision seems so silly.

You have two options for avoiding a gap year:

1) The deadline for adding courses is the 15th January. Get on UCAS and check that you definitely don't fancy anywhere else.

2) Clearing: http://www.ucas.com/students/nextsteps/clearing/

Both are worth considering. If you are in the pool for Cam then almost any other establishment would be chuffed to have you.

It may be that you need to do your studies in series rather than in parallel, but you'll find ways to keep the interest up in either area.

Edit:
BTW - you should be able to submit an alternative personal statement alongside your application to any good department. Applying for different subjects at different universities is something that isn't as rare as you might think. (I did it way back in the day, to keep my options open).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5009

However now I really would appreciate some advice as I still have heard nothing.

Anyway, judging by this thread, other Education-ers have been fished out by Homerton fairly early on. Does this mean that because I haven't heard anything for a very small course that is only accepted for at around half the colleges (including only 1 all-female - which would be relevant to me) there is zilch chance of being fished out this late?
My predicted grades are great, as are my GCSE results and I came out feeling relatively happy with my interviews despite little-to-no preparation from my college beforehand. Why don't they want to take me dammit?!
Sorry, if I sound mildly hysterical just feeling a little despressed at the moment and would really appreciate someone giving me some advice and a gentle shake!
Thank you very muchly in advance!
As cath1509 has said, it could still happen that you get an offer, although it is fair to say that the odds against are increasing every day.

It doesn't mean that you have to take a gap year, though, if Cambridge does turn you down. If you are quick, you can add in further choices by midnight on Tuesday and still be considered on an equal basis with everyone else. I appreciate that this course particularly appealed to you, but I would suggest you consider other options as even if you were to reapply next year (should it come to that) there's no guarantee of success.

Bear in mind that the headline name of a course doesn't mean there aren't options to mix and match between it. Durham does some very interesting combined courses where you can study modules from different faculties. I have known people sign up for Anthropology and do maths as well, for instance. Similarly, check out Lancaster - you can do some very random mixes of subject there. Those are the two that spring to mind immediately, but there are others.

I'd suggest you do some research tomorrow. Although any other unis you apply to will see the personal statement you put in originally, they'll often agree to look at an updated one, especially in cases like yours where you've started out by applying for a niche course. So don't be afraid to consider that possibility. If you look at your existing PS, unless it's got Cambridge in every other sentence, you may find it won't need much amendment to cover the options you would be now considering.

Either way, you do need a plan B, just in case, and time is a bit short now. Lancaster will often consider late applications, but Durham generally won't, so you would need to submit those additional choices on Tuesday (and pay the extra charge to UCAS).
Reply 5010
Original post by Stray
You have two options for avoiding a gap year:

1) The deadline for adding courses is the 15th January. Get on UCAS and check that you definitely don't fancy anywhere else.

2) Clearing: http://www.ucas.com/students/nextsteps/clearing/

Both are worth considering. If you are in the pool for Cam then almost any other establishment would be chuffed to have you.

It may be that you need to do your studies in series rather than in parallel, but you'll find ways to keep the interest up in either area.

Edit:
BTW - you should be able to submit an alternative personal statement alongside your application to any good department. Applying for different subjects at different universities is something that isn't as rare as you might think. (I did it way back in the day, to keep my options open).
The other option is Extra (new since your day :tongue:), when unis that still have spaces publish this on UCAS - starts at the end of February. It is designed for people who have used up all their choices but for one reason or another aren't holding any offers. However, it's a useful guide to the unis that are willing to consider late applications. If silver*linings were to leave it that late to add in choices, I'd advise her to check the Extra listings out first to get an idea of who's accepting what.

silver*linings
You might like to have a look at Late applications while you are about it :smile:
Thank you very much everyone, I'll definitely look at applying to some other places before Tuesday. Great advice :smile:
Reply 5012
Thank you very much everyone, I'll definitely look at applying to some other places before Tuesday. Great advice :smile:

UCAS is liable to get rather slow on Tuesday evening so try to do it as soon as possible.
As a Cambridge fish you'll almost certainly get four great offers.
Original post by KD35
@Minerva or anyone else that can help

How many people reapply each year and are your chances reduced at all if you're applying for a second time?
This is only for 1 year (2011) but it should be reasonably accurate:

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/admissionsstatistics2011.pdf

Success rate for those who will be 18 on entry (year 13) is 24.0%
Success rate for those who will be 19 on entry (gap year) is 20.6%
So there is not much difference there.
Original post by amyandbeyond
This thread is rather reassuring. I'm sure all of us fish feel panicked, but knowing that there are more of us who haven't heard anything since the 4th calms me a little. Hang on in there guys, we're all in this together!

Well I think its posts like this that make us feel reassured :smile:. Sometimes, you know, i feel as though its just me against the world and that nobody understands what im going through. And i know that were competing with each other for places and one persons success is anothers downfall but i think in moments like this when we're all being subject to the harsh realities of applying to Cambridge its just so nice to see everyone getting behind each other. So yeah, thanks for that reminder. All the best, wherever you end up, just remember theres more to life than Cam.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5015
Does anyone have any idea how many Economics people are still in the pool? I just wanted to know who was in the same boat as me and where they stand academically. If so private message me with your ums average and i will give you mine with which subjects you did. i dont want to dishearten/give anyone false hope.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5016
Original post by john414
Does anyone have any idea how many Economics people are still in the pool? I just wanted to know who was in the same boat as me and where they stand academically. If so private message me with your ums average and i will give you mine. i dont want to dishearten/give anyone false hope
In the TSR cohort there have been 21 economics poolees so far, reporting five offers, one interview, and four rejections between them. The other eleven haven't updated us on their status.
Original post by .Username.
Any news from anyone who got pooled by girton?

Unfortunately not, my friend. I emailed admissions (kb64@.... - cant remember the exact address, [email protected] - again i doubt the email is correct it was certainly something along those lines, i also tried the admissions tutor's email address which is basically her full [email protected]) a few times but to no avail. Sorry tthat he emaill adresses are vague but if you take a look on the Girton website, the first two i mentioned are certainly on there.
Reply 5018
Original post by Minerva
In the TSR cohort there have been 21 economics poolees so far, reporting five offers, one interview, and four rejections between them. The other eleven haven't updated us on their status.

And how about land economy ? Thanks!
Reply 5019
Original post by asia8848
And how about land economy ? Thanks!
6 poolees, one interview, two rejections, three no news.

I am going to bed now, but will post a status update in the morning :smile:

OK - I relented. Subject Summary attached.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest