The Student Room Group

WJEC biology BY4 11/01/2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by adamcusirinzon
what did u put for where the final electron acceptor became reduced on that 8 mark table...

I think I put the mitochondrial matrix for mitochondria and the stroma for the chloroplast... Idk D:
Original post by shawneexo
I think I put the mitochondrial matrix for mitochondria and the stroma for the chloroplast... Idk D:

I changed it multiple times...in the end my logic came down to the fact that they say NADPH2 is formed in light-dependent stage, which occurs on thylakoid membranes...
Reply 242
I changed it multiple times...in the end my logic came down to the fact that they say NADPH2 is formed in light-dependent stage, which occurs on thylakoid membranes...

Yeah I changed it loads too, took me ages! Mm that's true, I'm sure I read though that the hydrogen atoms are passed out of the membrane where they then reduce NADP.. I should really check but I don't really wanna look at BY4 ever again haha
Reply 243
Original post by lilyyyy
Ugh I hate WJEC! -_-
I didn't explain about the density dependent/independent factors.. that was one of the only questions I was confident with as well!

Does anyone think that nitrates & ammonia would have counted for the mark/s?

I put nitrates and ammonia too, think we should be ok :smile: well...atleast for nitrates certainly
Reply 244

Ditto!! But after long thought... I think it may possibly be stroma.... But I'm happy with my answer of thylakoid

Posted from TSR Mobile
I revised this syllabus from the beginning of the summer because I am aiming for the highest grade possible. I knew every inch of this syllabus, well, I feel like I do.
It is certainly the matrix of the mitochondria for where the final acceptor is. e- join with H+ and join with oxygen to form water in the matrix.
In plants the electrons from PS1, and the protons that are donated from photolysis reduce NADP in the stroma of the chloroplast.
Overall I think it was a really fair paper. There was nothing too ambiguous, other than the forms of nitrogen being taken up by the plant.
The essay on the Calvin Cycle was a god-send, fantastic essay to get 10 marks on.
The questions on populations were slightly obscure but I just waffled on about how they occupied different feeding zones in the pond, so would do the same thing in the container. That different species occupy different niches within an ecosystem, two can not co-exist within the same niche.
I panicked when it came to the micrograph of the axon. But then I calmed down and worked out it was myelin along with Schwaan cells, and then just a description of saltatory conduction along the axon!
I even thought the question on the proteins was pretty fair, not sure if I had it right but I don't think it was a really horrible bit to ask about.
Where did people label H? I'm not certain if I got that right, but I put 2 H's pointing to each of the axon membranes, and stated the area would be strongly hydrophobic due too the fatty acid tails in the membrane.
To be honest it sounds like we've all done really well guys, no stress now, I'm sure we've all done great! Fingers crossed!
Anyone else doing Chemistry on Monday? Feeling really prepared for this one too.
Reply 246
Original post by piers.townsend
I revised this syllabus from the beginning of the summer because I am aiming for the highest grade possible. I knew every inch of this syllabus, well, I feel like I do.
It is certainly the matrix of the mitochondria for where the final acceptor is. e- join with H+ and join with oxygen to form water in the matrix.
In plants the electrons from PS1, and the protons that are donated from photolysis reduce NADP in the stroma of the chloroplast.
Overall I think it was a really fair paper. There was nothing too ambiguous, other than the forms of nitrogen being taken up by the plant.
The essay on the Calvin Cycle was a god-send, fantastic essay to get 10 marks on.
The questions on populations were slightly obscure but I just waffled on about how they occupied different feeding zones in the pond, so would do the same thing in the container. That different species occupy different niches within an ecosystem, two can not co-exist within the same niche.
I panicked when it came to the micrograph of the axon. But then I calmed down and worked out it was myelin along with Schwaan cells, and then just a description of saltatory conduction along the axon!
I even thought the question on the proteins was pretty fair, not sure if I had it right but I don't think it was a really horrible bit to ask about.
Where did people label H? I'm not certain if I got that right, but I put 2 H's pointing to each of the axon membranes, and stated the area would be strongly hydrophobic due too the fatty acid tails in the membrane.
To be honest it sounds like we've all done really well guys, no stress now, I'm sure we've all done great! Fingers crossed!
Anyone else doing Chemistry on Monday? Feeling really prepared for this one too.

Yeah I have chem on monday

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think BY4 went pretty well, I was preped and quite excited to have a new set of questions to look at if I'm honest!
I found the same ones tricky as everyone else it seems - so hopefully the WJEC will take that into account and grade boundaries will be low. Maybe..
I have CH4 on Monday, feeling OK.. Not brilliant.
Reply 248

Get you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 249
Original post by CaitsEyeNebula
I think BY4 went pretty well, I was preped and quite excited to have a new set of questions to look at if I'm honest!
I found the same ones tricky as everyone else it seems - so hopefully the WJEC will take that into account and grade boundaries will be low. Maybe..
I have CH4 on Monday, feeling OK.. Not brilliant.

Do you know all your mechanisms and reactions?? There's SO MANY D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 250
Anyone resitting HB2 on Tuesday? Not looking forward to it.

I'm doing it on Monday aqa? Have any ideas of what is on the paper?
Reply 252
Original post by Jarno
Anyone resitting HB2 on Tuesday? Not looking forward to it.

I know there are few human biologists with WJEC but if you need help with any aspect feel free to message/ quote me :smile:
Reply 253
Original post by davidashworth7
I'm doing it on Monday aqa? Have any ideas of what is on the paper?

He obviously doesn't know what's on a paper he hasn't sat yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 254
Everyone seems to have done the essay question on the Calvin cycle.. am I the only one who did it on osmoregulation? D:
It's not really "get me", I was just trying to give answers to the people who were wondering because I have already gone over the paper with one of my teachers.
There are a good few mechanisms and stuff in chemistry, the thing that has helped me most is the new book that has been released for A level chemistry WJEC. It's amazing. Show's all the mechanisms with everything that is needed! Has anyone else got it?
Everyone seems to have done the essay question on the Calvin cycle.. am I the only one who did it on osmoregulation? D:

Loads of people in my school did that question. More than the calvin cycle.
As long as you talked about Secretion, Selective re-absorbtion, Ultrafiltration... you would have got a good few marks. There would have been a good 15 available on the mark scheme:smile:
Reply 257
Original post by lilyyyy
Ugh I hate WJEC! -_-
I didn't explain about the density dependent/independent factors.. that was one of the only questions I was confident with as well!

Does anyone think that nitrates & ammonia would have counted for the mark/s?

I put nitrates and ammonia and then '(ions)' hahaha! what did anyone put for the 2 density dependent and 1 density independent factor?
Reply 259

I did the osmoregulation one! Didn't feel like I had enough to write about the Calvin cycle essay :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending