This discussion is closed.
kieranfl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,
I'm doing 5 highers this year. Maths, English, Biology, Geography and Computing.
It's prelim time and I'm worried about if teachers will let me stay in my courses at higher level. I know I can get all 5 by the final.
So my question is.. Do I have to go down to Int. 2 if my teacher tells me too? Or can I refuse and stay in my courses. Also is it okay to fail the prelims? I don't plan on but I think it may be more than likely.
Many thanks.
CSM1996
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you have shown ability through the year and just do badly in the prelim they won't make you down. By no means will the teacher force you to go down, they will probably advice you if you are not coping well, but if you feel you can do it just tell the teacher that.
Prelims are said to be harder than the actual exam as well, so most people that fail prelims tend to at least pass their final exam. I wouldn't worry too much about prelims if you know you aren't going to do your best, it's like me for english, I've done about 6 close reading passages all year and never done a full 50 mark close reading passage and my prelim is in 3 weeks. I know i'm not going to pass it but my teacher said I do have potential i just struggle a bit.
kieranfl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I really struggle with english. Failed all the nabs and have hardly revised. Got a B in int 2 in S4 but higher is just such a massive step up. You have a while till finals, you aren't definitely going to fail.
Nfergs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as you have passed your NABs then your teachers can't really force you to drop down to Int 2 since the NAB passes show that you are capable of doing the work. I wouldn't worry about the prelims too much, but of course you should still try your best to do well in them since they might be needed for appeals. At my school you must pass the NABs for each unit to stay in the course. If you don't pass then you are either dropped down a level or you are just told to drop the subject altogether. Last year I only just scraped passes for my Higher Human Bio NAB re-sits and then completely failed the prelim, yet despite passing the NABs my teacher forced me to drop the subject since I already had an A for Int 2 and she suggested I re-sit the subject in S6 (which I didn't do). So in the end I guess if you have passed the NABs yet fail any of your prelims, it will be a joint decision between you and your teachers whether you should stay in the class or not. Good luck for your prelims!
JackE5
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kieranfl)
I really struggle with english. Failed all the nabs and have hardly revised. Got a B in int 2 in S4 but higher is just such a massive step up. You have a while till finals, you aren't definitely going to fail.
I'm exactly the same, 5 Higher but English is really hard and I failed the NAB. However, if the teacher says move down, try and convince him/her not to. You, yourself will know if it was just down to not revising or if you really can't pass. Just tell him/her the truth, you genuinely didn't revise or you just had a bad day. Some teachers just prefer to give up on pupils instead of trying their best to improve them.

An example: my teacher told me that in 3rd year that in her professional opinion I had no chance at Credit and that Foundation/General was better for me. I disagreed, I thought I was quite capable of doing credit. Long story short, I stayed in credit and came out the final exam with a 1 for KU and 1 for PS.

(Original post by Nfergs)
As long as you have passed your NABs then your teachers can't really force you to drop down to Int 2 since the NAB passes show that you are capable of doing the work. I wouldn't worry about the prelims too much, but of course you should still try your best to do well in them since they might be needed for appeals. At my school you must pass the NABs for each unit to stay in the course. If you don't pass then you are either dropped down a level or you are just told to drop the subject altogether. Last year I only just scraped passes for my Higher Human Bio NAB re-sits and then completely failed the prelim, yet despite passing the NABs my teacher forced me to drop the subject since I already had an A for Int 2 and she suggested I re-sit the subject in S6 (which I didn't do). So in the end I guess if you have passed the NABs yet fail any of your prelims, it will be a joint decision between you and your teachers whether you should stay in the class or not. Good luck for your prelims!
The passing the NAB's is an SQA requirement, if you don't pass all NABS, even if you sit the actual exam, you will not get a grade.
deedee123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kieranfl)
Hello,
I'm doing 5 highers this year. Maths, English, Biology, Geography and Computing.
It's prelim time and I'm worried about if teachers will let me stay in my courses at higher level. I know I can get all 5 by the final.
So my question is.. Do I have to go down to Int. 2 if my teacher tells me too? Or can I refuse and stay in my courses. Also is it okay to fail the prelims? I don't plan on but I think it may be more than likely.
Many thanks.
they can't force you out of the class, if you get your parents up to the school they'll normally give in and let you stay in the class, as long as you have passed your nabs.
CharG3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
oft its 6 years ago now, is still a thing now having to pass nabs to do the final exam?
Kubsyy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by CharG3)
oft its 6 years ago now, is still a thing now having to pass nabs to do the final exam?
No you don’t need to pass NABs to do exam
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (220)
33.85%
No (430)
66.15%

Watched Threads