The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cath1509
Hi guys, I've just had my reinterview for chem eng via engineering (the interview was just engineering and I'm assessed against engineering applicants).

It went well and was totally technical, the guy actually said quite frankly I don't really care about your hobbies, this interview is just gonna be technical :biggrin: lol

The main thing that COMPLETELY threw me at the start was the that as soon as I sat down he said the engineering applicants were being interviewed for 2014 so if I got the offer it would be deferred!! I'm not fussed by this as Cambridge now is the same Cambridge a year later and engineers often take a gap year, but it was just really surprising that all their interviews for engineering were for deferred offers!

I'll see what the outcome is, I'm praying it's good and I seriously wish all fish that have been interviewed and those still swimming the best of luck. This process has thrown so much at us from every single angle and for most of us it is the first major kind of rejection we've ever really had. Whatever it put is through I have learned so much, grown as a person and learnt never never to stop fighting and there is always another boat to catch if we miss the first one. The pool is something that people don't know how it feels until you are in it and we can always take the lessons we have learnt from this experience to be able to cope with other tough situations in the future.

Go fishes!!!!!!!!!!

What college?
Reply 5081
Original post by _Georgie
Mhmm sounds like they pooled a lot of their maths applicants to mix them up with others in the pool, interviewed a few themselves, and then will just fish the best!
So everyone reinterviewed or left hanging by Girton for maths is in the same boat/pool, just a smaller one than the whole winter pool haha

Omg th
Reply 5082
Original post by _Georgie
Mhmm sounds like they pooled a lot of their maths applicants to mix them up with others in the pool, interviewed a few themselves, and then will just fish the best!
So everyone reinterviewed or left hanging by Girton for maths is in the same boat/pool, just a smaller one than the whole winter pool haha

Either that...or theyve already rejected many but havent bothered to tell them till next wk!...thats really irritating...waiting over a week just to get rejected :frown: btw did u get interviewed by DR lawther or Dr Ruth williams?...or neither of them lol
Reply 5083
Does anyone know if the graphs that the cambridge website provides for undergrad stats represent those that were pooled n fished by the same college in the direct offers section or offers they gave through the winter pool?
Reply 5084
Original post by GeeGee3
Does anyone know if the graphs that the cambridge website provides for undergrad stats represent those that were pooled n fished by the same college in the direct offers section or offers they gave through the winter pool?
Pooled and fished by the same college are counted within the direct offers.
Reply 5085
Original post by honggau
My friend at college applying for Maths at Girton hasn't heard a word since as well. Don't know what's up with them!

Theyve prob rejected alot of us but havent botjered to tell us until next week...seems as tho theyre going to send all of their maths offer n rejections on the same day...which is esp annoying for those of us they left hanging since the 4th :frown:
Reply 5086
Original post by Minerva
Pooled and fished by the same college are counted within the direct offers.

Oh ok thanks :smile:
Does anyone know how colleges will convey their final decisions (for the re-interviewees) - e-mail, post, phone, etc?
Reply 5088
I was pooled and have now been given an unconditional offer from Wolfson to read English! Verrrrrry happy! :biggrin:
Reply 5089
Original post by savagedhearts
Mag. Thanks! How about you? Where were you pooled from? :smile:

Caius
Reply 5090
Original post by josephtsui
Hi, would you mind redirecting me to the general info about the pool? Where does it say 13th? Thanks

Well it was on the sheet I got together with the letter that said I was pooled. It looks like a sheet that is 'general' i.e. published by the university so applies to all colleges... I don't know if the same sheet can be found online...
For any John's fishees still out there swimming, I rang up the college admissions office on Friday and was told letters were being posted that evening. Looks like the wait will soon be over! :creep:
Reply 5092
Original post by Siena16
Are there any Caius/Law fish still swimming, who have heard nothing at all? :smile:
Keep swimming everyone! Hope people with re-interviews get offers soon :biggrin:

Yup, Caian Lawyer wannabe here!

Good luck to you too.
Original post by cambridge_please
What college?

Girton... you got an offer for deferred right? :biggrin:
Hope

by Emily Dickinson

"Hope" is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chilliest land
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
Reply 5095
Original post by swraysford
For any John's fishees still out there swimming, I rang up the college admissions office on Friday and was told letters were being posted that evening. Looks like the wait will soon be over! :creep:

Damn my sister called them and they told her the same and even said the letters were sent first class but on Sat I checked, there was still no mail.
Seems like they have sent all of the letters. I doubt that they fish many people. But yeah, the wait will soon be over, probably end on Monday. How ironic it is to wait more than a week just for a rejection letter.
Original post by ohlittlewolf
Does anyone know how colleges will convey their final decisions (for the re-interviewees) - e-mail, post, phone, etc?

As far as I know it really just depends on colleges...
Okay so correct me if I'm wrong, there are 3 categories in the pool: some are given direct offers, some are rejected and some are in the maybe category. What I've consistently failed to understand is why don't they give out all of the direct offers and rejections on the first day of the pool, if those easy decisions have already been made, why are they making us wait so long? At least then only those maybes are made to wait. Its absolutely ridiculous, theres no reason for them to be so inconsiderate.
Original post by jamil78613
Okay so correct me if I'm wrong, there are 3 categories in the pool: some are given direct offers, some are rejected and some are in the maybe category. What I've consistently failed to understand is why don't they give out all of the direct offers and rejections on the first day of the pool, if those easy decisions have already been made, why are they making us wait so long? At least then only those maybes are made to wait. Its absolutely ridiculous, theres no reason for them to be so inconsiderate.

People left in pool are all good applicants worth getting place in the Univ. If you weren't then you would not have been in pool to being with. Longer they take to reply...only longer you are being considered. If you feel they are inconsiderate, you have choice of withdrawing. Hopefully yo get your offer.
Reply 5099
Original post by jamil78613

Original post by Dumb Economist
People left in pool are all good applicants worth getting place in the Univ. If you weren't then you would not have been in pool to being with. Longer they take to reply...only longer you are being considered. If you feel they are inconsiderate, you have choice of withdrawing. Hopefully yo get your offer.

What Jamil78613 means is that colleges should make more of an effort to communicate decisions that have been made by the end of the Pool quickly. A fair number of the decisions that are coming through now were made over a week ago. I personally don't get why it's so difficult to organise it at college level so that they can send out the rejection letters in particular much more quickly than they do. After all, no-one phones you to tell you've been unsuccessful, and not many colleges email a rejection without prompting (take a bow, King's, who did so very promptly, two years running).

Latest

Trending

Trending