The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Mature Student Accommodation

One of the things that impressed me about Derby Uni was the way it encouraged mature students, had information available and even house mature students together in halls.

It is this last point that I was hoping to gather more information about. I would like to hear from any mature students, past or present that chose halls.

What was it like?
Did you make the right choice?
Would you do anything different?

and any other information. It would also be great to hear from mature students that may be starting in 2013 and what your plans are?

I am 40 by the way and I have a conditional offer from Derby for the Commercial Photography course.
Reply 1
Original post by Spookman
One of the things that impressed me about Derby Uni was the way it encouraged mature students, had information available and even house mature students together in halls.

It is this last point that I was hoping to gather more information about. I would like to hear from any mature students, past or present that chose halls.

What was it like?
Did you make the right choice?
Would you do anything different?

and any other information. It would also be great to hear from mature students that may be starting in 2013 and what your plans are?

I am 40 by the way and I have a conditional offer from Derby for the Commercial Photography course.

Hi, I was just wondering if you managed to get any information from anywhere on this subject?.. I'm 30 and will be starting a PGCE course in September this year. I'm also looking into halls for mature students as a possible option, especially as I'll be moving to Derby from Budapest (Londoner currently living here) and won't have much time to househunt.
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
I am none the wiser. I have emailed the uni direct for information and I am waiting for them to reply. As soon as I know more ill post it here but my original request still stands if anyone can offer any insights?
Reply 3
Hi,
I am also looking for accommodation for 2 nights a week, in Buxton. Any ideas?
Hi everyone,

When you fill out your application for halls it will ask you for any specific requests (one of which is to be put with mature students). I have to stress that you need to get your application in ASAP as rooms will start to be allocated soon, if not already, so if you don't get your applications in soon you will be put where there is space left.

Also remember that your building and the rest of your halls of residence will be full of younger students, so expect some noise still.

If you have any more questions, please do get hold of me and I will try my best to answer them,

Stacey
Reply 5
Hey guys im classed as a mature student altho im only 25 and i was the oldest in my flat.
I stayed at Peak Court last year.
I got put together with international students all ages 21-23.
I think peak court is mainly international students. Its Quiet so easy to sleep at night but very boring.

If you do stay at Peak Court then join a gym for a shower as the showers are always playing up. I had a cold show for weeks before they fixed it.

The University holds a Mature students welcome meal each year so that might be good for meeting other mature students.

This is sounding negative, i like the university itself. The accommodation however is a let down.
Dont worry too much tho, because the accommodation is bad lots of companies have built other student accommodation around derby so there is lots of choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hi all I'm a 'mature' student, 31. I'm starting in September, however, won't be staying in halls though. I'm worried I'll be the oldest on my course and they'll think I'm an old fart! Lol :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi, I'm a mature student too, aged 48 so will definitely be the oldest on my course!! I'm not staying in halls though, will be driving in from Lichfield each day. I'm really hoping there are other 'older' students I can get to know :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hi Saranne, That's brilliant. Do not worry... I am 46 lol, I live in Armitage and I will stay in students halls half of the week.
What are you going to study?
Pat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi Pat, I'll be studying Third World Development and Sociology, how about you? It's a huge step, having given up a full time well paid job for uni and a student loan. I must admit I'm a bit apprehensive as well as excited!
Heather x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone!

I've noticed a lot of you are looking into the idea of living with other mature students, as my colleague Stacey mentioned:

Original post by University of Derby

When you fill out your application for halls it will ask you for any specific requests (one of which is to be put with mature students).

You can opt to choose to live with other mature students. A good opportunity to meet other students you could possibly live with or study alongside is our Break the Ice Event 2013. You'll also have the chance to ask us any last minute questions you may have, and you'll get free food from our buffet, and a free drink.

For Derby Campus students: Wednesday 4 September and Thursday 5 September from 6pm until 9pm.

For Buxton Campus students: Wednesday 4 September from 11am until 3pm.

For more information and to book your place now at www.derby.ac.uk/breaktheice

Joe Parker
[email protected]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Saranne
Hi, I'm a mature student too, aged 48 so will definitely be the oldest on my course!! I'm not staying in halls though, will be driving in from Lichfield each day. I'm really hoping there are other 'older' students I can get to know :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can beat that by a year. I will be 49 on the 15th but, 50 within a couple of weeks. I'm also commuting (from Leek) rather than staying in halls so am a bit worried about integrating as everything is geared towards those living in.

I think maybe we should start an old farts society.
Reply 12
Original post by DwBigDNuts
I can beat that by a year. I will be 49 on the 15th but, 50 within a couple of weeks. I'm also commuting (from Leek) rather than staying in halls so am a bit worried about integrating as everything is geared towards those living in.

I think maybe we should start an old farts society.

Given you've bumped a year old thread, they're probably the same age as you.
Original post by MrMacho
Given you've bumped a year old thread, they're probably the same age as you.

Good point. Didn't notice date until after posting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending