The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StarlightSmiles
Hey,

I'm guessing you are an Oxford classicist also??

I'm a first year and just found out that I should attend the 'Propertius' Text and Contexts lectures and I haven't read the text yet. Is there any chance you could give me a really brief summary of Elergies Book one please?

Matthew Leigh is my favourite lecturer, he's such good fun. That said, I've only managed to attend one complete run of lectures in my time here, I can't say I've found them particularly useful. Also, very few people will have read the text yet, no fear.

You can find online translations if you want to have a quick skim through, in short he falls in love with a girl named Cynthia, who is apparantly a bit of a tart, she debates going abroad with another bloke but decides not to go, she goes on holiday to Baiae which has a reputation for being where everyone went to have a shag, Propertius whines a lot and gives advice to/mocks a guy called Gallus.
Original post by riotgrrl
Have I mentioned how distracting the picture in your sig is?! xD

:sexface:

I only ever get comments about my avatar. :lol:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
:sexface:

I only ever get comments about my avatar. :lol:

Ohhh I enjoy that as well :coma:
Ah Leigh, one of the nicest tutors ever...

Ok well, failing that, try the Neue Paully? Oo or the introduction on like a penguin or a loeb or something to a specific author.
Matthew Leigh is my favourite lecturer, he's such good fun. That said, I've only managed to attend one complete run of lectures in my time here, I can't say I've found them particularly useful. Also, very few people will have read the text yet, no fear.

You can find online translations if you want to have a quick skim through, in short he falls in love with a girl named Cynthia, who is apparantly a bit of a tart, she debates going abroad with another bloke but decides not to go, she goes on holiday to Baiae which has a reputation for being where everyone went to have a shag, Propertius whines a lot and gives advice to/mocks a guy called Gallus.

:rofl: omg you need to do the synopsis/introduction to an Oxford World's Classic or something :rofl:
This is my last day of being a teenager. :moon:
This is my last day of being a teenager. :moon:

Don't worry it doesn't feel any different not being one! I still sometimes feel like I am one.

My essay is slowly approaching the word limit and still got a lot to say and have to edit it so that I am talking about 'emotives' at all points. Apart from that, I think it might be of a semi decent standard so far.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Don't worry it doesn't feel any different not being one! I still sometimes feel like I am one.

I've always felt older than I am so tbh I feel like my body is finally catching up with my mind ... :tongue:

Original post by The Lyceum
Ah Leigh, one of the nicest tutors ever...

Ok well, failing that, try the Neue Paully? Oo or the introduction on like a penguin or a loeb or something to a specific author.

Ahh the lecture was really good. He kept making everyone laugh XD

p.s. Your overview of Propertius is utterly brilliant Riotgrrl!
I stopped feeling like a teenager when I moved out. Sometimes I have to remind myself I still am one (until August, at least :colonhash:)
Original post by The Lyceum
:rofl: omg you need to do the synopsis/introduction to an Oxford World's Classic or something :rofl:

Original post by StarlightSmiles
Ahh the lecture was really good. He kept making everyone laugh XD

p.s. Your overview of Propertius is utterly brilliant Riotgrrl!

Glad you approved :tongue:
I believe there's a Mathew Leigh Appreciation Society on facebook?

Original post by medbh4805
I stopped feeling like a teenager when I moved out. Sometimes I have to remind myself I still am one (until August, at least :colonhash:)

I still have to remind myself I'm NOT one. I so don't feel 20, I quote Horton Hears A Who on a regular basis.
Happy Birthday to me! Lecture on Roman Art at noon ... Better get to bed. :tongue:
Happy Birthday to me! Lecture on Roman Art at noon ... Better get to bed. :tongue:

fortuna dies natalis!

Many happy returns!
Original post by SirMasterKey
fortuna dies natalis!

Many happy returns!

OMG thank you!! That is epic :biggrin:
The lady in my avatar just wished me a happy birthday on Twitter. :teehee:
OMG thank you!! That is epic :biggrin:

I do always perfer to wish Happy Birthday in a different language and none more so than Latin. :h:

Essay on Catullus is in. Now to go and write a 5,000 word essay on the history/history of research/culture of a Levantine city of my choice (with the few exceptions of those we studied in class).
This reminds me of my lecturers/essay feedback. :tongue:

Hello! I have been looking for this thread for awhile and finally used the search tool. Search is good lol

Greek exam today, I am a bit sad it is over...
I've always felt older than I am so tbh I feel like my body is finally catching up with my mind ... :tongue:

This is interesting because I felt like this but have continued to grow older and have now surpassed the 'mature' mindset I thought I had. I feel as though I will always be 19; when I was 16 I felt 19. I am 23 and still feel 19! I honestly don't think people change that much as they age; they just get more conservative :biggrin:
This reminds me of my lecturers/essay feedback. :tongue:

I need to show this to my housemates.

They laugh at me and do assume I mean something is bad and I don't like it when I say, 'It's not bad'.

Quick Reply

Latest